Carolina Sports Mt. Rushmore...

USCBIRDS

Oct 9, 2006
My four would be...

George Rogers
Jeff Grantz
John Roche
Ray Tanner

I’d seriously think about Aja Wilson too.

My four would be...

George Rogers
Jeff Grantz
John Roche
Ray Tanner

I’d seriously think about Aja Wilson too.
George Rogers
Roche or English (only one...cant decide)
Michael Roth
Ray Tanner

Give women’s sport their own Mt.

Aja Wilson
Aleen Bailey
Tricia Popowski
Dawn Staley

Obviously I used 3 players 1 coach model as well

Tanner
Rogers
Roth
McKie (others may disagree w this. Obviously the final 4 was great but both statistically and overall success across 4 years I go with him)

Roth didn’t really show up, until the last two years. The other athletes impacted from day one. I could really kick Carlen in the Ass, for having Big George at Fullback the first two years.

Roth didn’t really show up, until the last two years. The other athletes impacted from day one. I could really kick Carlen in the Ass, for having Big George at Fullback the first two years.
Roth stepped up in Omaha to pitch a gem against Clemson when a loss would send us home. Three games later we had an NCAA Championship. That was as a sophomore. His junior and senior years he leads the team to 2 more finals and another title. If anything he’s over-qualified for the position.

Roth stepped up in Omaha to pitch a gem against Clemson when a loss would send us home. Three games later we had an NCAA Championship. That was as a sophomore. His junior and senior years he leads the team to 2 more finals and another title. If anything he’s over-qualified for the position.

Dilly Dilly!

Roth was Mr Omaha. If there’s a top 4 without him, blow that monument up immediately! You’d be hard pressed to name anyone in any sport that accomplished anything close to that in their time at USC.

Exactly. What a dumb post. Didnt show up his sophomore year? Helped us eliminate Clemson and win a national title in '10. Then led us to another national title in '11 and another title series in '12.

Ok. I realize he could have handled his path to retirement a little better, but just think back to the day after that last win in the 5 win streak. Didnt you feel pretty dang happy to be a Gamecock, I know I felt pretty dang crappy being a tiger.

With all do respect

You’re wrong,
why do think they named the bullpen after him?
We nearly had 3 in a row.
If I told Dawn Staley she might file a motion against you

The young man brought 2 rings

Hard to question rings

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Ok. I realize he could have handled his path to retirement a little better, but just think back to the day after that last win in the 5 win streak. Didnt you feel pretty dang happy to be a Gamecock, I know I felt pretty dang crappy being a tiger.

Yes I have the T shirt & he happens to be my avatar even though young Dylan Thompson secured one of those Ws

Horseshoe 04Well-Known Member

With all do respect

You’re wrong,

Hard to question rings

15 4 minutes ago

I’m not wrong...One game his Sophomore year...against Clemson in the CWS. That does not a season make! Most of the year...He was pretty average and not used very much.

With all do respect

You’re wrong,

Hard to question rings

15 4 minutes ago

I’m not wrong...One game his Sophomore year...against Clemson in the CWS. That does not a season make! Most of the year...He was pretty average and not used very much.

Curious, why you think they named the bullpen after the young man ?

He also holds a few records in Omaha

With all do respect

You’re wrong,

Hard to question rings

15 4 minutes ago

Didnt show up until last two years? WRONG. Threw complete game 3 hitter against Clemson in CWS and started game 2 against UCLA pitching 5 innings and giving up one run to help win national title. His second year at Carolina. Legendary stuff. What he did before is meaningless.

Rogers
Tanner
Staley
An empty upside down Michigan helmet.

This gets my vote. You can’t name any others who had the impact of these 3.

I graduated in 1981. I was at USC the same 4 years as Big George. What a thrill that was! USC had already shown that we could win big in baseball before Tanner, and at times, Gamecock football had shown we could compete with elite programs, but if you had told me when I was in school that one Day women’s basketball would draw more fans than Carolina Coliseum could hold, I would have said you were crazy, and that would never happen. To me, Dawn Staley has brought her sport further than any other player or coach in any other sport in USC history. I know it is hard to compare, but if you take time to think about it, it becomes abundantly clear.

This is opinion. That is subjective...You can’t be WRONG! Roth doesn’t make mine. I’d put Lattimore on there before him. You have a right to your opinion.
Fair enough. And I love Lattimore and you for being a great Gamecock fan. In the universe that isn’t just us Gamecock super fans rings matter. When the CWS is on our boys (Roth & Price) are still mentioned regularly.

Respect you, enjoy your opinions.

Reactions: USCBIRDS
orseshoe 04Well-Known Member
New

This is opinion. That is subjective...You can’t be WRONG! Roth doesn’t make mine. I’d put Lattimore on there before him. You have a right to your opinion.
Fair enough. And I love Lattimore and you for being a great Gamecock fan. In the universe that isn’t just us Gamecock super fans rings matter. When the CWS is on our boys (Roth & Price) are still mentioned regularly.

Horseshoe...I respect all of the good Gamecocks opinions. If you remember correctly...Roth was a “surprise” pick to start that Clemson game. He was a situational lefty during the year, and really pretty average. Hey...I get it. He pitched a great game against a heavily lefty-hitting team in the CWS. He was obviously important to getting the “ring” that year. The people I selected were immediate major contributors to their teams. I place more importance on the career impact of the athlete...not so much the ring. Connor Shaw didn’t play for the SEC Championship...Garcia did. I wouldn’t put Stephen ahead of Connor though.

Your opinion is wrong. Seriously, though, even if your argument of “he only mattered 2 years” was taken...for his last 2years Roth was absolutely THE MAN. He was the dominant Friday night guy for the#1 team in the country. He absolutely KILLED in Omaha, the biggest stage in the game. I’ll take two transcendent years of Roth and easily recognize him as the most impactful baseball player ever at USC.

Lynn Hodge, Wilber Hodge, Monty Means, Tommy Simmons and Jon Linder .All Union County Boys

orseshoe 04Well-Known Member
New

Horseshoe...I respect all of the good Gamecocks opinions. If you remember correctly...Roth was a “surprise” pick to start that Clemson game. He was a situational lefty during the year, and really pretty average. Hey...I get it. He pitched a great game against a heavily lefty-hitting team in the CWS. He was obviously important to getting the “ring” that year. The people I selected were immediate major contributors to their teams. I place more importance on the career impact of the athlete...not so much the ring. Connor Shaw didn’t play for the SEC Championship...Garcia did. I wouldn’t put Stephen ahead of Connor though.

Agree Shaw is a warrior

Your credibility on here just took a hit.

This gets my vote. You can’t name any others who had the impact of these 3.

I graduated in 1981. I was at USC the same 4 years as Big George. What a thrill that was! USC had already shown that we could win big in baseball before Tanner, and at times, Gamecock football had shown we could compete with elite programs, but if you had told me when I was in school that one Day women’s basketball would draw more fans than Carolina Coliseum could hold, I would have said you were crazy, and that would never happen. To me, Dawn Staley has brought her sport further than any other player or coach in any other sport in USC history. I know it is hard to compare, but if you take time to think about it, it becomes abundantly clear.
I think Geno gets some of that credit, and Pat Summit as well. They really paved the way for Dawn.

Maybe we need multiple Rushmores;

1> Baseball
2> Football
3> Baseball
4> WBB
5> Coaches

With all of the talk of Roth on the "Mt. Rushmore". Matt Price needs to be strongly considered as well.
I loved Price, and he was a great college closer. I guess I don't consider him "Rushmore-worthy" simply because he was never the 'face' of the program. Roth was THE face of Carolina baseball. On a related note, I don't think he belongs on Rushmore, but I'd at least put a small statue in the parking lot recognizing Scott Wingo.

Reactions: usc1wme
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT