ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Princeton Game Thread

How did Chico Carter manage to get in the dog house so quickly? Guy was actually emerging as an efficient scorer and three point shooter at Murray State and he can’t get any run on this squad?
He made 44% of his 3's at Murray State last year.

Frank you said this team was special and you loved it....you realize we play a ton of teams much better than princeton right? I just do not see it.

Reactions: SweetgrassVodka
Tonight was pathetic. Princeton may end up being a decent team but we played like a typical Frank Martin early season failure. I’ve never seen a program that consistently wastes possessions offensively like we do. We throw the ball away on the perimeter. We make terrible passes. We’re careless with the basketball. Not just this season but pretty much every season outside of a couple during the Martin era.

It’s unreal how offensively challenged we are in an era where players want to play fast. And people wonder why Frank can’t recruit. We’re boring as hell to watch. Who would want to come play in Frank’s system…

I was at the game so I did not participate in the game thread but for the life of me I’m not sure why we didn’t get the ball inside more.
I agree. I lost my mind during the game. We never tried to work the ball inside and we had an insane height advantage. They would just cruise down the floor and nail threes like layups. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I had a Stetson flash back.

can’t believe we can’t go to the rim with our size and just out physical them
The problem often is that we can't make layups either. So getting the ball inside just to miss layups doesn't really work either. It is astounding how FM can't bring in a shooter, or worse, brings in a shooter then ruins him... which seems to be happening to Carter now.

I wasn't able to watch last night, but I did watch the Upstate game. We won by 18, but looked like crap doing it. We should have won that game by 30 at least. I saw the same things we've seen for the last 5 years in the upstate game. Inability to make shots when we need them, awful from 3, stupid turnovers, missed layup after missed layup and slayed by the other team's 3-point shooter.

Once again, a team that Martin likes in practice, but can't produce in games. Not sure that Martin knows what it takes to win in college basketball anymore.

Tonight was pathetic. Princeton may end up being a decent team but we played like a typical Frank Martin early season failure. I’ve never seen a program that consistently wastes possessions offensively like we do. We throw the ball away on the perimeter. We make terrible passes. We’re careless with the basketball. Not just this season but pretty much every season outside of a couple during the Martin era.

It’s unreal how offensively challenged we are in an era where players want to play fast. And people wonder why Frank can’t recruit. We’re boring as hell to watch. Who would want to come play in Frank’s system…
We had the speed and height advantage. I am not sure why we didn’t push the ball in transition. We played faster the last few seasons. When we could not get fast break points we should have pounded the ball inside. Instead we slowed it down and shot a bunch of 3s against a team that was slower and undersized.

Couisnard doesn’t need to come off the court. We can’t afford to play offense without him. He looked rough early but he heated up late.

Reactions: cadcock
We had the speed and height advantage. I am not sure why we didn’t push the ball in transition. We played faster the last few seasons. When we could not get fast break points we should have pounded the ball inside. Instead we slowed it down and shot a bunch of 3s against a team that was slower and undersized.

Couisnard doesn’t need to come off the court. We can’t afford to play offense without him. He looked rough early but he heated up late.
So this is 1 loss and out tournament? There’s no consolation game?

Hard game to watch. We shot 22 more shots than they did. Created more turnovers, more rebounds, more pretty much everything... except 3s. Outscored from 3 by 21.

One problem is that our bigs don’t show that they have any post footwork. They just try to bang their way to the basket. When the defender cuts them off they have nothing. At their size, a simple drop step to the baseline is a lay-up. However, that is the main gripe I have with modern basketball. Big man coaching is dying. Bigs are not being taught the fundamentals of being a big guy. They either shoot 3s with the guards or just set screens all game.

I will admit I haven't paid a lot of attention to our men's basketball team since Dave Odom was our coach, so it's been awhile. The final four run was exciting of course but I really just got on the train for that.
Never been a Frank fan, but I want him to succeed because he's our coach. We have enough challenges establishing a winning tradition in football without struggling in basketball too.
So with all that said , here is my admittedly dumb question. Is this going to be one of those bad losses, at the end of the year, that if we are a bubble team, will keep us out?.If yes, how many of these can we have? Obviously none is the best but we've already got one so where does that leave us?

I agree with you. We were not even very good on defense and loose balls. We were also beaten on the boards by a smaller team who spread us out to negate our size advantage. Frank is repeatedly out-coached.

I agree with you. We were not even very good on defense and loose balls. We were also beaten on the boards by a smaller team who spread us out to negate our size advantage. Frank is repeatedly out-coached.
Sounds as if we were out coached.

One problem is that our bigs don’t show that they have any post footwork. They just try to bang their way to the basket. When the defender cuts them off they have nothing. At their size, a simple drop step to the baseline is a lay-up. However, that is the main gripe I have with modern basketball. Big man coaching is dying. Bigs are not being taught the fundamentals of being a big guy. They either shoot 3s with the guards or just set screens all game.
I agree big man basketball is a lost art. Although Frank has done a decent job of creating a few of them here. Literally every big we have on the roster is a project.

Passing into the post is also another part of the game going away. On a couple of the times we tried it, we looked really bad.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Why any one on this planet thinks that frank can coach is beyond me. he is as lost as he can possibly be. he needs to go home for good.

I will say when Bryant gets back he will play 4. We don’t need two bigs in the game at the same time all the time. Is AJ Wilson still on the team? I didn’t even see him on the bench

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT