ADVERTISEMENT

Carrera: best game by Gamecock basketball player since....

Clearly the team MVP. Pretty obvious he needs to be taking a majority of the shots. Also our best defender and rebounder. All-around player.

Easy. ...Chuck Eidson. 25 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds. Only triple double in Gamecock men's history. 2002. I was there. Amazing performance

Tre Kelley 36 vs UK.
Downey vs UK (36&30)
Mike had 3rd best point night in the CLA. Great game.

McKie had some strong ones.
McKie was so much fun to watch he was sly, a d great at drawing fouls. I remember many times when someone was shooting fouls he would nudge an opponent when the ref wasn't looking causing them to commit a lane violation.

McKie was so much fun to watch he was sly, a d great at drawing fouls. I remember many times when someone was shooting fouls he would nudge an opponent when the ref wasn't looking causing them to commit a lane violation.
Most of Mckie's points came at the FT line.

Most of Mckie's points came at the FT line.
He was one of the best at getting fouled on a 3 pt shot. Fake shot, defender now in sir, McKie gets contact as he jumps where they had to make contact. He was great at pulling someone down on top of him when official couldn't see what he did. It was a hoot. He worked harder at getting fouled than anyone I've seen.

I saw John Roche put up 56 (I believe it was) against Furman, but I doubt if he rebounded. Carrera is amazing when he is "on," which is most of the time. All they could do tonight was tackle him near the end of the game. Did you hear what his father, a pro basketball player in Venezuela, told him about rebounding? To pretend the ball was his mother and that it was his job to take care of it.

Love it!

GOCOCKS! BEATOLAYMISS! BEATBAMA!

Easy. ...Chuck Eidson. 25 points, 10 assists, 10 rebounds. Only triple double in Gamecock men's history. 2002. I was there. Amazing performance

Against SC State, Downey was taken out with 10 minutes left and a rebound shy of a triple double against The Citadel.

If only Downey and Fredrick would have come into USC out of High school. We would've been a national title contending team.

I saw John Roche put up 56 (I believe it was) against Furman, but I doubt if he rebounded. Carrera is amazing when he is "on," which is most of the time. All they could do tonight was tackle him near the end of the game. Did you hear what his father, a pro basketball player in Venezuela, told him about rebounding? To pretend the ball was his mother and that it was his job to take care of it.

Love it!

Can you imagine what John would have averaged if there was a 3 pt line.

Against SC State, Downey was taken out with 10 minutes left and a rebound shy of a triple double against The Citadel.
I was at that game too. Downey only scored 11 in that one. And the Citadel was worse than bad. They lost 24 games that season. It was like playing against a high school team. We won by 61!.SC State went to the NCAA's the year Eidson rang them up.

Folks say "if there was a three point line back then so and so would have done this and that" as if no one was going to go out to guard the guy. Yes would have added a few points per game but that would have happened pretty much across the board. The game would have been played differently.

Not claiming it to be the best game but Sam Muldrow had a triple double against Vandy I think his senior year. He got his tenth block on like the last play of the game

Actually, that is false. Sam Muldrow had 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 10 blocks (yes, blocks) against Vanderbilt on January 8, 2011. Talk about doing things the hard way.

Actually, that is false. Sam Muldrow had 16 points, 14 rebounds, and 10 blocks (yes, blocks) against Vanderbilt on January 8, 2011. Talk about doing things the hard way.
Yep. Forgot about Sam. I don't go to many games since I moved to the beach. But it did take Sam an overtime period to get it.

Last edited:
And Rick Aydlett who could shoot the long ball would not have transferred from USC.
Loved Aydlett. Heck loved that team. I went to practice on occasion, one day they were dunking and poor ole Carver couldn't dunk. He tried 3 times and each time got harassed and laughed at more. I almost asked coach to let me show Carver how to dunk. :) I was a shade under 6' Carver 6'2 it would have been a riots if I had dunked as a fan watching practice. Poor ole Bobby.
I was actually wondering as I typed that yesterday if anyone still has the shot charts and could figure that out!

I doubt it on the shot charts. I don't even know if film would be around.

Yep. Forgot about Sam. I don't go to many games since I moved to the beach. But it did take Sam an overtime period to get it.
The only reason I remember it is the 10 blocks. That's an eye-popping statistic by itself, never mind the points and rebounds. It's a real shame that Muldrow, arguably the best defender in school history (all-time blocks leader, one of two players with 100+ in a season), had to play during the tenure of Horn, arguably the worst coach in school history.

The only reason I remember it is the 10 blocks. That's an eye-popping statistic by itself, never mind the points and rebounds. It's a real shame that Muldrow, arguably the best defender in school history (all-time blocks leader, one of two players with 100+ in a season), had to play during the tenure of Horn, arguably the worst coach in school history.
Steve Newton says hi.

The top 2 shot blockers in school history followed each other, Brandon Wallace (2003-2007) 249 blocks and Muldrow (2007-2011) 275 blocks. Throw in Archie and Balkman and that's a ton of blocks in the span of about 8 years.

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
And Rick Aydlett who could shoot the long ball would not have transferred from USC.
Aydlett didn't transfer; finished his career at South Carolina. You might be thinking about Ed Peterson who transferred to Georgia.

My junior year at Carolina, Eric Sykes lit up Louisville in Freedom Hall with 38 points or something like that.

alot of great names coming out of this thread. points can look good on paper but to me its who plays w/heart. obviously getting a triple double means you put alot of effort and heart into the game. I think Balkman and McKie played w/alot of heart, not to mention Carrera. anybody can have a bad night shooting the ball.

9052F5AC-7719-407D-88B4-652905959376_zpsbnwkfp6v.png

Reactions: DirtyCock99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT