ADVERTISEMENT

Cause of Tiger Woods wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbaglide

Sep 1, 2006
On the road again
The Sheriff just released that Tiger was traveling 84-87 mph in a 45 zone before the wreck and 75 when he hit the tree. No indication of any type of impairment at all. He is fortunate to be alive. Wonder if there was a vehicle malfunction or just in a big hurry. Either way i hope he has a speedy recovery. He is good for golf

I think I heard the most likely cause is that he fell asleep? That was a couple weeks ago though. No idea.

How’s about spending some of that money and hiring a driver?
He is darn lucky. Trees usually win versus car. Good plug for the vehicle safety rating. Curious to see if he can make it back to championship level golf. Hope so.

Reactions: rogue cock
Only if you care about public safety. 40 mph over the posted limit seems excessive to me
Exactly - everyone seems to forgive speeding for a variety of issues, but I knew a guy who was seriously injured in a wreck where a speeding driver lost control of his car and crashed into this guy's car and crippled him. Speeding is a pretty selfish thing to do, but Woods seems to pretty much go by his own set of rules, I guess.

No malfunction BS but he will spin it that way. He was speeding and could not handle that machine and was eaten alive.

No malfunction BS but he will spin it that way. He was speeding and could not handle that machine and was eaten alive.

One reporter said today that some believe Tiger accidently hit the accelerator when he meant to apply the brakes.

Exactly - everyone seems to forgive speeding for a variety of issues, but I knew a guy who was seriously injured in a wreck where a speeding driver lost control of his car and crashed into this guy's car and crippled him. Speeding is a pretty selfish thing to do, but Woods seems to pretty much go by his own set of rules, I guess.
Have you never sped? At any point including 5 over?

It took them a month to figure this out? Pretty obvious from the severity of the crash that he was speeding. No doubt his blood tested at hospital within hours which would have ruled out being impaired.

One reporter said today that some believe Tiger accidently hit the accelerator when he meant to apply the brakes.
Maybe, I wasn’t there, but in no way would i believe one could hit the gas over brake and increase to that speed and roll. It is a case of trying to save face for a person that so many hold in high esteem. He is nothing more than a golfer.

I may have gone 5 mph over the speed limit on occasion but I drive a Prius. Everyone I know makes fun of my driving. What's your point, Dad? I've never recklessly sped down any street like Woods did, but then again I don't have that sense of entitlement that people like Woods have.
It's not entitlement it's a decision. And speeding is speeding. Don't be so quick to condemn if you have done it too.

This was not surprising to me - they had already reported that Woods was NOT impaired by drugs or alcohol, so with it being a one-car accident unless it was just a case of Woods losing control of his car (it swerved off the asphalt and the grass on the apron pulled the car sideways which can happen), the chance of excessive speed being the main culprit was huge.

Then I read that the accident happened involving a "dead man's" curve, where the road curves sharply and is also associated with a hill or steep decline, which means that part of the road had a history of drivers having accidents there - they fail to see how sharply the road curves on the other side of the hill, and if they are not too careful, they pretty much drive right off the road as they crest the hill.

And THEN read how they analyzed the data on the "black box" of the SUV - they said it reported that the accelerator was applied at 99% at the point of the collision. The accelerator, NOT the brake. So Woods was accelerating to the final speed he was driving at, at the time he struck the tree.

So, Woods STILL could have been speeding past the safe limit when he went out of control, but instead of slowing the SUV down he actually sped it up into the tree......

The Sheriff just released that Tiger was traveling 84-87 mph in a 45 zone before the wreck and 75 when he hit the tree. No indication of any type of impairment at all. He is fortunate to be alive. Wonder if there was a vehicle malfunction or just in a big hurry. Either way i hope he has a speedy recovery. He is good for golf
I wouldn't spend too much time wondering about the vehicle beyond whether the accelerator pedal stuck to the floor as he was traveling down that narrow, curvey road.

You and people like you just hate it when white Southerners aren't racist. I think most people on this board like Tiger and hope that he has a speedy recovery and returns to playing golf. Because golf certainly isn't the same without him.
Freddy. We were having a nice discussion up until the race baiter jumped in. No one mentioned anything about race until him. Race had absolutely nothing to do with this wreck. Poor judgement, yes. Possible malfunction, yes. Wishes for his recovery , yes An unusual thread which was devoid of any race mention. And you are right, golf isn’t the same. He left his mark on the game

Tiger had his legs crushed in that accident. CRUSHED. Having the bad back and now this. Highly unlikely he ever returns to championship level golf. Maybe he can return to celebrity events or exhibitions riding a cart. I suspect he’ll have circulation problems in his legs from now on.

He should thank God he's alive. Does it really matter what the circumstances were now?
With his history of substance abuse and previous DUI arrest while on pain pills, yes it mattered to find out if was impaired or not. Beyond that... No, it is not that important IMO- a tragedy for him and the sport regardless the cause but at least the confident statements about “no sign of impairment” is an indication he had not relapsed to substance abuse issues.

He should thank God he's alive. Does it really matter what the circumstances were now?
I am a Tiger fan. Incident analysis is always appropriate. That’s how they find things like defective car parts that can potentially harm many more people.

There’s not indication of impairment because they didn’t check.

They said they didn’t have probable cause to get blood, which is hogwash. If a cop had been following him going that speed and seen cross the curb instead of crash, cop would have had plenty of justification to get blood draw.

I am a big Tiger fan, and sad this happened, but he definitely got special treatment. It’s especially sad because he seemed to have been playing well recently, and it was pretty cool seeing him play that tournament with his son.

This was not surprising to me - they had already reported that Woods was NOT impaired by drugs or alcohol, so with it being a one-car accident unless it was just a case of Woods losing control of his car (it swerved off the asphalt and the grass on the apron pulled the car sideways which can happen), the chance of excessive speed being the main culprit was huge.

Then I read that the accident happened involving a "dead man's" curve, where the road curves sharply and is also associated with a hill or steep decline, which means that part of the road had a history of drivers having accidents there - they fail to see how sharply the road curves on the other side of the hill, and if they are not too careful, they pretty much drive right off the road as they crest the hill.

And THEN read how they analyzed the data on the "black box" of the SUV - they said it reported that the accelerator was applied at 99% at the point of the collision. The accelerator, NOT the brake. So Woods was accelerating to the final speed he was driving at, at the time he struck the tree.

So, Woods STILL could have been speeding past the safe limit when he went out of control, but instead of slowing the SUV down he actually sped it up into the tree......

Since you mentioned Dead Man's Curve, let's study the cause of Jan Berry's accident in 1966...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT