ADVERTISEMENT

CFP rankings proof...

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
That the “blue bloods” “old Powerhouse” teams get the benefit of the doubt.

You have two loss teams ahead of Baylor and Minnesota. Last time I checked Minnesota was in the same conference as Ohio State and Penn State. Neither Baylor or Minnesota in the Top 10.

Not on the Bama plays a weak schedule, but who have they or Clemson played to warrant being so much higher ranked than these two undefeated P5 conference teams. Guaranteed if we were 8-0 with no big wins like Bama we would be around #11 or #12.

Ranking Team Record
1 Ohio State 8-0
2 LSU 8-0
3 Alabama 8-0
4 Penn State 8-0
5 Clemson 9-0
6 Georgia 7-1
7 Oregon 8-1
8 Utah 8-1
9 Oklahoma 7-1
10 Florida 7-2
11 Auburn 7-2
12 Baylor 8-0
13 Wisconsin 6-2
14 Michigan 7-2
15 Notre Dame 6-2
16 Kansas State 6-2
17 Minnesota 8-0
18 Iowa 6-2
19 Wake Forest 7-1
20 Cincinnati 7-1

Face it... if Clemson wins out, they are in regardless of what anyone else does and regardless of their weak schedule.

Also, I think the Minnesota ranking is fair, generous even. Yes, they are undefeated, but they struggled early against the collection of cupcakes that make up their OOC schedule, and the Big 10 teams they have played so far are mediocre to awful. Their 8-0 record is more of a reflection of the back-loaded conference schedule than their actual team strength. This weekend will tell the tale, though.

Clemson gets the benefit of the doubt because they have won the championship 2 times in the last 3 years and have been in the championship game 3 times in the last 4 years, and have generally dominated the teams they have defeated in the CFP.

Taters missing their two inside horses that helped them get in the last couple of years. The year they loss to Syracuse they wouldn’t have been if it wasn’t for the inside influence.

They are not crying. If I were a fan I would be ok with #5. The top 4 will cannibalize themselves. Also, Dabo can play the underdog card which he does well.
They are right where they want to be. They'll slide in at #3, avoiding a first round matchup with LSU or Alabama.

Worst case for Clemson is #1 or #4. In the years Clemson has won they've avoided that first round matchup with Saban where he has weeks to scheme.

That the “blue bloods” “old Powerhouse” teams get the benefit of the doubt.

You have two loss teams ahead of Baylor and Minnesota. Last time I checked Minnesota was in the same conference as Ohio State and Penn State. Neither Baylor or Minnesota in the Top 10.

Not on the Bama plays a weak schedule, but who have they or Clemson played to warrant being so much higher ranked than these two undefeated P5 conference teams. Guaranteed if we were 8-0 with no big wins like Bama we would be around #11 or #12.
Plenty of time for things to be rectified if they need to be. Several of these teams have games remaining against each other.

They are not crying. If I were a fan I would be ok with #5. The top 4 will cannibalize themselves. Also, Dabo can play the underdog card which he does well.
Not sure what the criteria to be ranked is but you'd think that with Clemson being on a 20 something game winning streak and the reigning Nat'l Champions they should probably be ranked ahead of tOSU.
If they go undefeated and LSU loses to Al, LSU drops only one spot and tOSU wins out, well, to leave an undefeated reigning champ out would spell the end of the CFP committee. IMO.
And yes, Dabo does seem to relish being an underdog and gets his teams full attention.

Ranking Team Record
1 Ohio State 8-0
2 LSU 8-0
3 Alabama 8-0
4 Penn State 8-0
5 Clemson 9-0
6 Georgia 7-1
7 Oregon 8-1
8 Utah 8-1
9 Oklahoma 7-1
10 Florida 7-2
11 Auburn 7-2
12 Baylor 8-0
13 Wisconsin 6-2
14 Michigan 7-2
15 Notre Dame 6-2
16 Kansas State 6-2
17 Minnesota 8-0
18 Iowa 6-2
19 Wake Forest 7-1
20 Cincinnati 7-1

Thoughts,

- Which team currently would be favored over Oklahoma? Penn St, Oregon or Utah?
- If LSU wins this weekend, Bama is out.
- Any guesses on the spread for the OSU-PSU game?

Oklahoma already having lost is going to benefit them also in the long run,
Looking at the rest of their schedule, should they win out their resume will measurably be a lot stronger against some of the current undefeated teams.

Just stop with this bull malarkey. If someone has an affiliation to a school they can’t even be in the room when that team is discussed.

Was Ken Hatfield in the room this year ? U don’t have to be in the room to influence your peers. JS.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Thoughts,

- Which team currently would be favored over Oklahoma? Penn St, Oregon or Utah?
- If LSU wins this weekend, Bama is out.
- Any guesses on the spread for the OSU-PSU game?
Since it's at tOSU I'd say probably OSU -10.5.
Would love to see this game at Happy Valley.
No doubt the BIG CG is going to be an 11-1 MN team playing a 12-0 OSU team. Should be pretty boring.
Hope I'm wrong.

Not sure what the criteria to be ranked is but you'd think that with Clemson being on a 20 something game winning streak and the reigning Nat'l Champions they should probably be ranked ahead of tOSU.
If they go undefeated and LSU loses to Al, LSU drops only one spot and tOSU wins out, well, to leave an undefeated reigning champ out would spell the end of the CFP committee. IMO.
And yes, Dabo does seem to relish being an underdog and gets his teams full attention.
If Clemson goes undefeated.. There is no scenario where they are left out...

Reactions: HI Cock
He didn’t leave on the best of terms. Of course he got the last laugh because we were stuck with West for a few years.

Hatfield, reached at his home in Springdale, Arkansas, said there is “no bitterness” toward Clemson.

But I’m disappointed as much as anything that for five weeks when we needed support, when the players needed it, there weren’t a whole lot of folks out there to support the team,” Hatfield said at the time. “That’s what burned my butt and it still does.

“Everybody who is a so-called fan who stayed away, you ain’t a fan. You can tell everybody you are but you are not. If you want to be a Clemson fan, you’d better come out, I don’t care who the coach is, because the players deserve it. …

“Shame on you, wherever you are.”

Hatfield, reached at his home in Springdale, Arkansas, said there is “no bitterness” toward Clemson.

But I’m disappointed as much as anything that for five weeks when we needed support, when the players needed it, there weren’t a whole lot of folks out there to support the team,” Hatfield said at the time. “That’s what burned my butt and it still does.

“Everybody who is a so-called fan who stayed away, you ain’t a fan. You can tell everybody you are but you are not. If you want to be a Clemson fan, you’d better come out, I don’t care who the coach is, because the players deserve it. …

“Shame on you, wherever you are.”
I remember it well. I was there. Lean years. It was easy to get a good seat.

I remember it well. I was there. Lean years. It was easy to get a good seat.

I'd hardly call them lean years. In 4 seasons he put up a .700 win percentage, which is well above Clemson's all-time win percentage of .617 (and that includes their blistering recent success). It's generally known that he was fired b/c he wasn't one of Danny Ford's good ole boys.

The Tommy West years were the lean years, and just desserts for running Hatfield off.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Just stop with this bullshit. If someone has an affiliation to a school they can’t even be in the room.

A loss by lsu will not only drop them 1 spot. They will go to 5. Top of the 1 loser’s.

I'd hardly call them lean years. In 4 seasons he put up a .700 win percentage, which is well above Clemson's all-time win percentage of .617 (and that includes their blistering recent success). It's generally known that he was fired b/c he wasn't one of Danny Ford's good ole boys.

The Tommy West years were the lean years, and just desserts for running Hatfield off.
I agree about the West hire being karma for running Hatfield off. I was referring more to the last couple years that then transitioned into the West years. Even though Hatfield had a good last season we got boat raced by FSU.

I agree about the West hire being karma for running Hatfield off. I was referring more to the last couple years that then transitioned into the West years. Even though Hatfield had a good last season we got boat raced by FSU.

True. But, to be fair, FSU was doing that to pretty much everyone back then, especially in the ACC. They started a mind-boggling 70-2 in conference play. They were unbelievable back then. Top 5 fourteen years in a row.

I think you’re forgetting that PSU and OSU have to play each other. There is no scenario an undefeated Clem gets left out.

I think you’re forgetting that PSU and OSU have to play each other. There is no scenario an undefeated Clem gets left out.

yep. It’s up to a bad USC team to beat the taters. They play no one else.

staying in the cup cake conference is paying off in gold for the taters.

they get to rest their players all year and gear up for 2-3 game season.

That would be an interesting line...I figure it'd be something like a 8.5 line but Clemson would win by 14-17 at a minimum.

I disagree. Maybe if the game was at Clemson the stores would be 8.5 and they would win by double digits. If they were on a neutral field I would say Clemson would be favored by 3.5 and would win a close game. In Happy Valley it would be different. Especially if it was a night game and they did a white out. I think Penn State would win in that scenario . Similar to how they beat Michigan . Go up early feeding off the crowd and barely hold on.

Last night is a dream come true for taterville. They love the no respect angle and Dabo will use it to drive his team. I hear crying that Bama has played no one also. And that’s true. BUT! They will. 3 solid teams before the playoffs begin. And you simply cannot say that about Clemson.
But we should be in a better position to give them a tussle if we weren’t spinning our wheels so much around here.

Last night is a dream come true for taterville. They love the no respect angle and Dabo will use it to drive his team. I hear crying that Bama has played no one also. And that’s true. BUT! They will. 3 solid teams before the playoffs begin. And you simply cannot say that about Clemson.
But we should be in a better position to give them a tussle if we weren’t spinning our wheels so much around here.
That hurts to hear when Carolina is one of those three.

Reactions: Judson1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT