ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson - Carolina Supper Club

cutiger653

Nov 26, 2006
I am a member of a club named the Clemson - Carolina Supper Club in Georgetown, SC. The club was founded in 1952 and every year on the second Thursday after the annual Rivalry game, the members of the club gather for drinks, a meal and a roasting by the winning members at the expense of the losers. The club has limited the membership to 62 members on each side or 124 total members and there is a lot of fun camaraderie among the members and win or lose it's always a good time. Oh, and the loser pays, so the Clemson members are way ahead on the cost side of the program, but there were 5 years where it wasn't as much fun for the Tigers.

Here is the invitation I received, I have no idea how the Carolina invitation read:

Dear Tiger Fan,

As the Great One would say...How Sweet It Is! Largest margin of victory, most touchdown passes, most total yards...the list of new records go on and on! It doesn't get any sweeter than this. I don't know what can be done to humiliate our feathered friends any more than Saturday night...but we will definitely try to figure something out!

We will be entertained at Chacon's(formerly Land's End Restaurant)in Georgetown at 6:30 p.m.on Thursday, December 8, 2016.The cost, this year, for the 3rdyearinarow... ABSOLUTELY ZERO!

Go Tigers!!

Remember, this is all in good fun among friends.

I am a member of a club named the Clemson - Carolina Supper Club in Georgetown, SC. The club was founded in 1952 and every year on the second Thursday after the annual Rivalry game, the members of the club gather for drinks, a meal and a roasting by the winning members at the expense of the losers. The club has limited the membership to 62 members on each side or 124 total members and there is a lot of fun camaraderie among the members and win or lose it's always a good time. Oh, and the loser pays, so the Clemson members are way ahead on the cost side of the program, but there were 5 years where it wasn't as much fun for the Tigers.

Here is the invitation I received, I have no idea how the Carolina invitation read:

Dear Tiger Fan,

As the Great One would say...How Sweet It Is! Largest margin of victory, most touchdown passes, most total yards...the list of new records go on and on! It doesn't get any sweeter than this. I don't know what can be done to humiliate our feathered friends any more than Saturday night...but we will definitely try to figure something out!

We will be entertained at Chacon's(formerly Land's End Restaurant)in Georgetown at 6:30 p.m.on Thursday, December 8, 2016.The cost, this year, for the 3rdyearinarow... ABSOLUTELY ZERO!

Go Tigers!!

"The Great One?"

Tiger there is only one "The Great One" on this message board and that is Rod, please do not confuse us again.

Sincerely,

"The sidekick".

Dear Tiger Fan,

Go Tigers!!

Having lived in Georgetown years ago - during the 1960s, I'd love to know who some of your members are who would have been at Winyah High during the mid to late 1960s. Is there a published list of members?

Dear Tiger Fan,

Go Tigers!!

Now why in the blue hell would you see that and think "you know where this would be appreciated? FGF that's where."
That takes a different kind of stupid.
Did you once catch a lawn dart with your head or something?
Dang tater.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Having lived in Georgetown years ago - during the 1960s, I'd love to know who some of your members are who would have been at Winyah High during the mid to late 1960s. Is there a published list of members?
There is not a published list that I am aware of. Jimmy Smith of James W. Smith Real Estate in Pawleys Island heads up the Gamecock side of this club. He is a well known huge Gamecock supporter in this area. I remember a thread on FGF about him when his office burned down a few years ago and he lost a lot of memorabilia he had collected over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward

Dear Tiger Fan,

Go Tigers!!

You and your clempson buds should take up playing in traffic blindfolded. Its great fun.

And we can't have clempson friends, be too worried someone trying to get your dog pregnant.

There is not a published list that I am aware of. Jimmy Smith of James W. Smith Real Estate in Pawleys Island heads up the Gamecock side of this club. He is a well known huge Gamecock supporter in this area. I remember a thread on FGF about him when his office burned down a few years ago and he lost a lot of memorabilia he had collected over the years.

jim is a good ole andrews guy, managed some property 4 me decades ago, been n his old office & supplied me w/ some dvds' (that tell u how long ago it was:)....health not what use 2b:-(

btw, if I was n this supper club id b broke!

Reactions: cutiger653
jimmy is a good guy.

king ward, did you graduate with any Doggettes or Juks??
Stan Juk, Dietzel's first quarterback at USC, was quarterback for Winyah when I was in about the 6th or 7th grade. I don't remember any Juks after him. The other name is unfamiliar to me. We left Georgetown in 1967 and I graduated from Southside in Florence in 1968 - a year early.

jim is a good ole andrews guy, managed some property 4 me decades ago, been n his old office & supplied me w/ some dvds' (that tell u how long ago it was:)....health not what use 2b:-(

btw, if I was n this supper club id b broke!
The last check I wrote was for $65, so it's not too bad.

So its not an unlimited free for all with as much food & beverage as folks can consume?
It is, but the restaurant let's you bring your own booze, so that keeps the cost down and it's not a big drunk party. Most of the folks are local professionals, politicians, attorneys and such, so they don't misbehave in front of their peers. That last check I wrote was three years ago, so I don't know what the cost is today. The food is buffet style, so it is a flat cost per head.

It is, but the restaurant let's you bring your own booze, so that keeps the cost down and it's not a big drunk party. Most of the folks are local professionals, politicians, attorneys and such, so they don't misbehave in front of their peers. That last check I wrote was three years ago, so I don't know what the cost is today. The food is buffet style, so it is a flat cost per head.

OK...........hope to see your story about choking & an ER visit some time next week, Tater.

Don't know about you but my peers have no problem drinking in front of each other. My work christmas party is this Friday. My boss purposely moved my code release on saturday so I can 'enjoy myself' Friday night.
giphy.gif

Don't know about you but my peers have no problem drinking in front of each other. My work christmas party is this Friday. My boss purposely moved my code release on saturday so I can 'enjoy myself' Friday night.
giphy.gif
Oh they drink alright, but nobody or very few get hammered.

as property owners say, "its the smell of money":)

Born and raised there. Also worked two summers in the paper mill. Inside the mill has a nice odor. It's only when you sneak outside does it stink.

Of course that was over 50 years ago. Maybe it smells different now.

I lived in Georgetown from '44 to '64 and never got an invite.
They were
I lived in Georgetown from '44 to '64 and never got an invite.
The party, food and drink was good last night. The Clemson crowd was congenial to the Gamecocks and didn't twist the knife during the roast. The Gamecock spokesperson ended his welcoming with the traditional quote" Wait til next year"!! The discussion last night was about whether the club started in 1952 or 1953. The two Clemson guys involved were Edsel Hemingway, Ford dealer from Andrews and Doc Lachicotte, who created the Hammock Shops and the Pawleys Island Hammock. Doc was there last night (just turned 90) and couldn't remember for sure. It was a good crowd and we all look forward to next year, win or lose....of course it's always sweeter when you win.

Another discussion that took place was whether there are any other clubs or traditions like this one in the state. I think I heard that a group in Rock Hill does something similar after the Rivalry Game, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Can anyone weigh in on this?

They were

The party, food and drink was good last night. The Clemson crowd was congenial to the Gamecocks and didn't twist the knife during the roast. The Gamecock spokesperson ended his welcoming with the traditional quote" Wait til next year"!! The discussion last night was about whether the club started in 1952 or 1953. The two Clemson guys involved were Edsel Hemingway, Ford dealer from Andrews and Doc Lachicotte, who created the Hammock Shops and the Pawleys Island Hammock. Doc was there last night (just turned 90) and couldn't remember for sure. It was a good crowd and we all look forward to next year, win or lose....of course it's always sweeter when you win.

Another discussion that took place was whether there are any other clubs or traditions like this one in the state. I think I heard that a group in Rock Hill does something similar after the Rivalry Game, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Can anyone weigh in on this?

So you didn't choke..........

giphy.gif

I honestly don't think I could participate in such a club - I work with various Clemson grads and we get along great but win or lose I just don't really want to be around Clemson fans at game time or the week before or week after - doesn't sound like I have the social status to be asked anyway

I honestly don't think I could participate in such a club - I work with various Clemson grads and we get along great but win or lose I just don't really want to be around Clemson fans at game time or the week before or week after - doesn't sound like I have the social status to be asked anyway
That may be why it's scheduled on the second Thursday after the game, to let everybody's emotions calm down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT