ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson recruiting

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
So Clemson has 17 recruits and not a one from South Carolina? 6 from Georgia, 4 from Florida and 2 from Texas. That is weird.

Reactions: usc_nc
I mean zero is a little surprising but if you want to play at an elite level, need to recruit more globally. Small state population wise.

To a point yes you will have to go outside the state, but to not have any players from in state that does produce elite level players every year is surprising. It is worth nothing that the Gamecocks have dominated in state recruiting in the 2023 and 2024 cycles. This year 5 of the top 8 are committed to Carolina.

During Carolina's strong run under Spurrier they were owning recruiting in state and it appears Beamer is trying to follow that same blue print.

Clemson's recent success does give them the opportunity to pull more blue chip kids from out of state, but I think its easier to misevaluate kids when you do that. I wonder long term if this causes some backlash from in state high school programs and hurts Clemson's chances on the next 5 star in state player.

Recruiting nationally is for the elite programs and that's fine, but I would think it's just going to mean a little more to an in-state kid to play for his in-state school. It will all play out on the field. Just my opinion, but when we have been our best we have had our way in-state recruiting. Like five wins in a row good!

I mean zero is a little surprising but if you want to play at an elite level, need to recruit more globally. Small state population wise.
Yeah but as the above poster points out, there are some good players in SC. There were five 4-stars in 2023 and SC got 4 of them and Georgia the other. In 2024 there are six 4-stars and SC is getting 4 of them and Geo Tech and Tennessee the other 2. Clemson completely absent.

Yeah but as the above poster points out, there are some good players in SC. There were five 4-stars in 2023 and SC got 4 of them and Georgia the other. In 2024 there are six 4-stars and SC is getting 4 of them and Geo Tech and Tennessee the other 2. Clemson completely absent.
Probably one of those unique circumstances where their position-fill needs did not align with SC's talent supply for the year. Clemson has the luxury of filling those needs outside of the state on a consistent basis, if desired.

Probably one of those unique circumstances where their position-fill needs did not align with SC's talent supply for the year. Clemson has the luxury of filling those needs outside of the state on a consistent basis, if desired.
I expected Clemson's recruiting to fall off, as they have not been as successful lately. Heck SC beat them last year. But they must have a good NIL program or are just good recruiters as they have a bunch of top recruits in 2023 and 2024.

Reactions: turncock
I expected Clemson's recruiting to fall off, as they have not been as successful lately. Heck SC beat them last year. But they must have a good NIL program or are just good recruiters as they have a bunch of top recruits in 2023 and 2024.
Was hoping for that too. I guess they still retain the easiest path to the playoffs. Plus, the memorable branding and rabid NIL funding.

Likely, the best hope for an actual decline is for ACC teams (FSU, UNC, etc) to start finishing above them. Make the playoff path a little more murky to recruits.

At some point High School Coaches will notice the zero local boys on CU.

In the long term that will be good for SC, especially if CU drops down a little in national prominence.

The more they recruit out of the region the less effective their travel time. Will that be the Achilles Heel of CU?

I hope so.

At some point High School Coaches will notice the zero local boys on CU.

In the long term that will be good for SC, especially if CU drops down a little in national prominence.

The more they recruit out of the region the less effective their travel time. Will that be the Achilles Heel of CU?

I hope so.

If they win big like they have been, kids will always want to go there from all over.

If they win big like they have been, kids will always want to go there from all over.
I think the point was they have lost as many games the past two seasons as they did the previous five seasons. Yet recruiting isn't tailing off at all.

I don’t see them declining, this year will tell the tell. They have a very good chance of making it to the playoffs, like usual. I don’t buy the FSU hype just yet.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Prior to Dabo taking over in 2008, Clemson had always recruited fairly well. usually with classes ranked in the top 20 nationally.

This changed drastically with the 2011 recruiting class where he pulled several high profile guys from Florida like Sammy Watkins, Mike Bellamy, and Tony Steward... many of whom never took an official visit to campus. This was coming off the 2010 season where Clemson had a losing record and fired their offensive coordinator. Pictures of several Clemson recruits and players at the time surfaced holding stacks of cash so the assumption was that Clemson's recruiting tactics had become more aggressive similar to what they were under Danny Ford.

That 2011 class was ranked in the top 10 which was a tendency breaker up to that point, and they have been recruiting well ever since. It does seem like this recruiting cycle (2024) they are currently outside the top 10 in team rankings for the first time in a long time. I dont pretend to know who else they are likely to reel in but their class is getting pretty full. I'm not sure if they went head to head with the Gamecocks over any of the recruits, but it is very clear that Carolina has had it's way in state since Beamer got here.

It seems like since 2011, Clemson has still had really solid teams even when they haven't had generational talents at QB like Watson and Lawrence. They can get beat when facing teams with comparable talent. I think if Beamer can continue to fill Carolina's needs with high level players and develop them the rivalry should continue to be more competitive.

At the end of the day, Clemson's alumni base is not anywhere as large as Carolina's. I think Clemson does have more tshirt fans due to their success in the last 10+ years, but I think from a financial base stand point Carolina should be willing especially with the disparity in conference revenue. With the right guy in charge here, we should be more competitive in football and continue to kill them in all the other sports going forward.

Prior to Dabo taking over in 2008, Clemson had always recruited fairly well. usually with classes ranked in the top 20 nationally.

This changed drastically with the 2011 recruiting class where he pulled several high profile guys from Florida like Sammy Watkins, Mike Bellamy, and Tony Steward... many of whom never took an official visit to campus. This was coming off the 2010 season where Clemson had a losing record and fired their offensive coordinator. Pictures of several Clemson recruits and players at the time surfaced holding stacks of cash so the assumption was that Clemson's recruiting tactics had become more aggressive similar to what they were under Danny Ford.

That 2011 class was ranked in the top 10 which was a tendency breaker up to that point, and they have been recruiting well ever since. It does seem like this recruiting cycle (2024) they are currently outside the top 10 in team rankings for the first time in a long time. I dont pretend to know who else they are likely to reel in but their class is getting pretty full. I'm not sure if they went head to head with the Gamecocks over any of the recruits, but it is very clear that Carolina has had it's way in state since Beamer got here.

It seems like since 2011, Clemson has still had really solid teams even when they haven't had generational talents at QB like Watson and Lawrence. They can get beat when facing teams with comparable talent. I think if Beamer can continue to fill Carolina's needs with high level players and develop them the rivalry should continue to be more competitive.

At the end of the day, Clemson's alumni base is not anywhere as large as Carolina's. I think Clemson does have more tshirt fans due to their success in the last 10+ years, but I think from a financial base stand point Carolina should be willing especially with the disparity in conference revenue. With the right guy in charge here, we should be more competitive in football and continue to kill them in all the other sports going forward.
The disparity in conference revenue has been going on for a long time, yet Clemson has pretty much dominated USC except for the 5 year streak and even then USC didn’t always have the better team. Much like USC’s win this last season with and inferior team.

Over the last 13 years, Clemson’s average composite recruiting ranking has been 12th. They developed players. They turn relatively good but not great classes and lower budgets into 6 Playoff births, 4 Playoff Championships and 2 National Championships. In state recruiting, money and superior recruiting classes aren’t mandatory. USC on the other hand, has the money and has so far failed to match the recruiting class ranking to team rankings. Like it or not, Dabo has been successful with less. Does Beamer haver that touch? Maybe. We’ll see.

Reactions: PawsFan_
The disparity in conference revenue has been going on for a long time, yet Clemson has pretty much dominated USC except for the 5 year streak and even then USC didn’t always have the better team. Much like USC’s win this last season with and inferior team.

Over the last 13 years, Clemson’s average composite recruiting ranking has been 12th. They developed players. They turn relatively good but not great classes and lower budgets into 6 Playoff births, 4 Playoff Championships and 2 National Championships. In state recruiting, money and superior recruiting classes aren’t mandatory. USC on the other hand, has the money and has so far failed to match the recruiting class ranking to team rankings. Like it or not, Dabo has been successful with less. Does Beamer haver that touch? Maybe. We’ll see.
I just hope the lesser team beats Clemson again this year.

“T-shirt fans” = Walmart Tigers. 😂

Not really. SC has a slightly larger population than Alabama and both have 2 major Power 5 schools. Plus you have to consider that our recruiting base includes lots of border cities. Charlotte is only 90 minutes from Columbia. It is closer to Columbia than UNC and NC State. We get a lot of recruits from that area. Augusta is only 60 minutes from Columbia and is closer to Cola than to Athens. Savannah is much closer to Cola than any other major school. Within 125 miles of Columbia there are over 9.5 million people.

if Carolina can lockdown the State in recruiting we can go toe to toe with anyone and always beat Clemson. It seems pretty much what we did for a cycle under Spurrier. But Spurrier didn’t recruit his last few years. I love Spurrier to death. But he messed us up at the end.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
if Carolina can lockdown the State in recruiting we can go toe to toe with anyone and always beat Clemson. It seems pretty much what we did for a cycle under Spurrier. But Spurrier didn’t recruit his last few years. I love Spurrier to death. But he messed us up at the end.
I think its justifiable that the downfall of that staff was him promoting Steve Spurrier Jr. to recruiting coordinator when Beamer left to go to Virginia Tech after signing day in 2011. In addition to the multitude of bad assessments, and unwillingness to travel to visit recruits, Spurrier Jr. seemed to think that his last name would get him in the door instead of changing with the times and embracing the 24/7 nature that recruiting had become.

Clemson went h2h with SC this year on the top 3or4 offensive lineman, SC beat them out. Much to the chagrin of us Tiger fans.
The reason Clemson has lost more games in the last 2years is we dont have a - Tee Higgins, Mike Williams, Justin Ross, Travis or Trevor.
DJ was a basket case in 2021 & 2022 and most of the Cali kids havent worked out and I think you will see CU back off recruiting California kids.
The OC Streeter over his head and was let go( even though he is Clemson family) and Garrett Riley was hired.
The lack of running plays against SC late in the game and his overall lack of in-game adjustments cost him his $1million job, he was out of his league.

CU ha made big gains into Texas and Alabama, they have always recruted Georgia well- all 3 of the Natties were by Georgia QBs. Homer Jordan grew up in Athens.

I like Beamer though, he's a class act and I hope he does well for SC.
Your staff recruits the state extremely well and has won most of them lately.

Good Luck against the Tarholes!

I think its justifiable that the downfall of that staff was him promoting Steve Spurrier Jr. to recruiting coordinator when Beamer left to go to Virginia Tech after signing day in 2011. In addition to the multitude of bad assessments, and unwillingness to travel to visit recruits, Spurrier Jr. seemed to think that his last name would get him in the door instead of changing with the times and embracing the 24/7 nature that recruiting had become.
This and Dabo just kept working, he was willing to do pretty much anything to get recruits and it showed in the polls!

First, no school is going to “lock down” the state. Kids go where they think they have the best chance to have success . Second, they want to be a part of something great, not just go to a school because they’ve been “locked in.” Playing in championships will be the pinnacle for most of these guys, not the NFL. Currently, Carolina can’t offer that.

CU ha made big gains into Texas and ...
I am shocked you got Wesco and Gipson this year. Does Clemson have a good NIL program or something? You got Klubnik a few years ago because he was a huge A&M fan, but A&M had already committed its QB spot to Weigman.

I am shocked you got Wesco and Gipson this year. Does Clemson have a good NIL program or something? You got Klubnik a few years ago because he was a huge A&M fan, but A&M had already committed its QB spot to Weigman.
From what I understand it is decent once you get to Clemson. They have such a small alumni base amd half the enrollment of most big P5 schools so their NIL offerings are not going to be earth shattering.
They have always vetted and recruited a certain type of kid and give out offers sparingly. If "getting the bag" is a large part of a kids recruitment, Clemson will probably not be involved heavily.

From what I understand it is decent once you get to Clemson. They have such a small alumni base amd half the enrollment of most big P5 schools so their NIL offerings are not going to be earth shattering.
They have always vetted and recruited a certain type of kid and give out offers sparingly. If "getting the bag" is a large part of a kids recruitment, Clemson will probably not be involved heavily.
In the past, Clemson has always been able to sell success. But the last two years haven't been great, but Clemson's recruiting hasn't fallen off.

Losing Billy Napier to Florida H.C. job didn't help matters. I know he had another coaching spot prior to the Gator job, but he will impact some tiger strongholds in recruiting.

Losing Billy Napier to Florida H.C. job didn't help matters. I know he had another coaching spot prior to the Gator job, but he will impact some tiger strongholds in recruiting.
Napier is recruiting well at Florida. Got a couple of good 2023 recruits from Texas, including the best QB in the state of Texas (Lagway).

Do you think its possible Napier might not make it past this year? The schedule is tough, and he could be very well looking at another losing season.

First, no school is going to “lock down” the state. Kids go where they think they have the best chance to have success . Second, they want to be a part of something great, not just go to a school because they’ve been “locked in.” Playing in championships will be the pinnacle for most of these guys, not the NFL. Currently, Carolina can’t offer that.
31-30

Reactions: bayrooster
Believe it or not I think the family atmosphere that dablo preaches so hard, resonates with recruits and their families.
Money resonates. Now that everybody can pay players, clemson has lost their recruiting advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT