ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson WBB - Wow

Honest question for some of you in this thread...

Do any of you do any of the following things?
  • Talk about WBB with your friends
  • Attempt to talk WBB smack to Clemson fans you know
  • Wear WBB jerseys/shirts around town
  • Have intense WBB discussions at family get-togethers like Thanksgiving and Christmas

I'm a fourth generation Carolina grad who loves basketball as per my screen name, but I've never had a single discussion with anyone about WBB other than someone saying Dawn won a natty. Literally nobody cares. Clemson probably got more run out of their men's soccer national title this year than we will ever get out of WBB no matter how long Dawn stays here.

It's a totally irrelevant sport that literally nobody follows or cares about in this state or any other state. Clemson fans laugh at us when anyone brings it up.
Yes to all your questions except for talking smack to Clemson fans. When it comes WBB Clemson isn't even on my radar because of how uncompetitive they are. Again my fandom for Gamecock sports don't rely on what Clemson fans think of us .

As for the soccer bit how have you come to that conclusion. Women's basketball is by far way more popular than college soccer. Look at how often they show women's basketball on tv and how often they discuss it on Sportscenter, SEC now or any other sports program. Sure it's not as popular as men's basketball or football but on a national scale its about on par or surpasses any other college sport in popularity.

Last edited:
Nobody is getting left behind by not going all in on something like wbb like we have.

It's just bonehead stupid to spend $3 million on just the head coach alone for a sport that only generates $2.2 million a year.

I agree. What even is "left behind"? Plenty of schools are doing just fine paying lip service to women's sports (compared to their male counterparts).

Reactions: MJDaGod6Rings
Secondly they do not have the ability to take womens sports seriously. They dropped mens and womens swimming. wrestling, tried to drop track and field but they got a lawsuit making them restore it. In today's world if you do not take womens sports seriously sooner or later you wil get left behind. Look at Tennessee, tell me they do not take womens basketball seriously. Just in todays world you better take womens sports seriously or you will be left behind.
How is anyone getting "left behind" due to not taking womens sports seriously? You realize that 99% of school DGAF about womens sports right? If you're saying that Clemson's football program is going to suffer in any way at all because they have a bad WBB program, I'm going to say you're very mistaken there. Pretty sure Nick Saban couldn't name one player on the WBB team at Bama.

Honestly, I find women's basketball pretty much unwatchable. I am proud that we are one of the best teams in that sport, but man, the sport itself is just so bad. Just a few teams (like 6 or 8) are capable of winning the championship in a given year. There are other women's sports that are so much more competitive and enjoyable to me. Women's soccer and volleyball (didn't say beach volleyball) are way more compelling to me.

They pay their WBB coach a base salary of $130k and their football coach $8.3 million.
We pay our WBB coach $3 million and our football coach $2.75 million.
They pay more for a football head coach than we pay for our entire football staff.

Any questions why they win football championships and we don't?
What are you saying? Money solve all problems? Just asking

They pay their WBB coach a base salary of $130k and their football coach $8.3 million.
We pay our WBB coach $3 million and our football coach $2.75 million.
They pay more for a football head coach than we pay for our entire football staff.

Any questions why they win football championships and we don't?
Adjust Dabo's salary in his first full year as an HC. Do you have a problem with paying our WBB coach $3 million? Do you think Beamer will work twice as hard (not possible) if we double his salary tomorrow? Yes, Clemson has won two National Championships under Dabo, but let's see if he earns his salary during the next couple of years after so many coaching departures. Can you say LSU? Finally, considering what several new HC's at various schools (Left Coast USC, LSU, Florida, etc) are reportedly making in salary, I guess the College Playoffs need to expand to 20 teams and the top 12 all win the national championship next January.

It's you that doesn't understand. Everybody knows the history, but that is incompetent, irrelevant and immaterial, unless there is some rule that prevented us from hiring an $8 million coach when we were shopping after Muschamp. I like and support Beamer and hope he will do well, but we hired on the cheap to develop a coach instead of trying to get to that coaching level immediately.

In football, the most profitable college sport, they are willing to pay top dollar. We are not. But we do it in women's basketball, a sport that loses a ton of money. Clemson will never waste $3 million on a wbb coach like we do. Ever. Because they understand that if there is a sport they are going to throw money at, it's going to be the one with the most prestige and ROI.
Dude, there is not a coach in the US that was going to come in year one and do much better than Beamer did, it doesn't matter what you paid them. If we're being honest here, there isn't an $8M coach that was going to come to USC, period. Go look at the list of coaches making over $8M and tell me which one would have come to USC and why they would have come.

We made the decision to go the Dabo route, which is why your comparison is actually more valid than you think, just not for the reason you are trying to convey. We made the decision to hire a destination coach under a CEO-type model, just like Clemson did with Dabo. Beamer was the perfect hire in this scenario... he's going to remain at USC, he's fully invested in USC, he's always wanted to coach at USC, he has a huge name and pedigree in the NCAA football world, he's known for his recruiting, he's known for his relentless positivity, and he gave our AD one helluva plan along with hiring a great staff and support team.

And it's working! We've seen our culture flipped entirely in 1 season, we've seen our talent flipped via the portal and our talent continuing to flip via the incoming recruiting class, we've seen our media presence take off because Beamer is a media darling, we see our players giving all-out effort on the field and winning close games we would have lose a season ago, we see our strength and conditioning as well a character development taking huge strides, and so much more.

It's all good news right now. So much positivity is surrounding our football program right now and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the amount we pay Dawn Staley, who deserves every dime she is making as the coach of the top WBB program in the nation and well as her being an incredible, influential ambassador of USC and WBB in general.

To borrow from economics, the "pie" is not static or absolute, we can grow the pie. If Beamer takes us to the heights that Dabo has taken Clemson, then there is room for Beamer to make $8M along with Staley's $3M.

Last edited:
Adjust Dabo's salary in his first full year as an HC. Do you have a problem with paying our WBB coach $3 million? Do you think Beamer will work twice as hard (not possible) if we double his salary tomorrow? Yes, Clemson has won two National Championships under Dabo, but let's see if he earns his salary during the next couple of years after so many coaching departures. Can you say LSU? Finally, considering what several new HC's at various schools (Left Coast USC, LSU, Florida, etc) are reportedly making in salary, I guess the College Playoffs need to expand to 20 teams and the top 12 all win the national championship next January.

As I said, I don't care what Dabo was paid his first year. Irrelevant. I only care about what is spent now.
Yes, 3 million for a wbb coach is a complete waste of money
I never said give Beamer a raise, just that Clemson was willing to shell out more for coach in the sport that matters most. We could have done that but choose not to do so.
Yes, I can say LSU. They got what they paid for.

So, back to the original point. We can laugh at their wbb attendance while they pour all their money into football and rack up national championships. Guess who is laughing last and loudest?

What are you saying? Money solve all problems? Just asking
Yeah that argument doesn't makes sense. Dawn only received her money only after years of success and recruiting numerous #1 recruiting classes. She makes the going rate for top rate WBB coaches in the sport.

If money was the only issue then why aren't we a contender is MBB. He's like a top 30 coach when it comes to salary and yet we can't even make the tournament or even the NIT.

Dude, there is not a coach in the US that was going to come in year one and do much better than Beamer did, it doesn't matter what you paid them. If we're being honest here, there isn't an $8M coach that was going to come to USC, period. Go look at the list of coaches making over $8M and tell me which one would have come to USC and why they would have come.

We made the decision to go the Dabo route, which is why your comparison is actually more valid than you think, just not for the reason you are trying to convey. We made the decision to hire a destination coach under a CEO-type model, just like Clemson did with Dabo. Beamer was the perfect hire in this scenario... he's going to remain at USC, he's fully invested in USC, he's always wanted to coach at USC, he has a huge name and pedigree in the NCAA football world, he's known for his recruiting, he's known for his relentless positivity, and he gave our AD one helluva plan along with hiring a great staff and support team.

And it's working! We've seen our culture flipped entirely in 1 season, we've seen our talent flipped via the portal and our talent continuing to flip via the incoming recruiting class, we've seen our media presence take off because Beamer is a media darling, we see our players giving all-out effort on the field and winning close games we would have lose a season ago, we see our strength and conditioning as well a character development taking huge strides.

It's all good news right now. So much positivity is surrounding our football program right now and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the amount we pay Dawn Staley, who deserves every dime she is making as the coach of the top WBB program in the nation and well as an ambassador to USC.

To borrow from economics, the "pie" is not static or absolute, we can grow the pie. If Beamer takes us to the heights that Dabo has taken Clemson, then there is room for Beamer to make $8M along with Staley's $3M.

It would take more than $8 million to get a top coach at USC. Without a doubt. Another great reason not to waste $3 million on a wbb coach.

And my argument isn't against Beamer. I think he has done a great job. I've defended him and his staff more than anybody here. But it is fact that Clemson is willing to spend more in football to win. I don't care what anybody here says, when you spend $2.75 million on a head football coach and $3 million on a wbb coach, it is very obvious where you priorities are.

It would take more than $8 million to get a top coach at USC. Without a doubt. Another great reason not to waste $3 million on a wbb coach.

And my argument isn't against Beamer. I think he has done a great job. I've defended him and his staff more than anybody here. But it is fact that Clemson is willing to spend more in football to win. I don't care what anybody here says, when you spend $2.75 million on a head football coach and $3 million on a wbb coach, it is very obvious where you priorities are.
I'm just going to be honest, I don't have a clue what your argument is. You seem to be pissed that we pay the top WBB coach in the nation $3M and we don't pay a football coach $8M. You keep bringing up Clemson as your example when they paid their current coach $800K in year one - a coach they hired for all the exact same reasons we hired our coach. We weren't going to start Beamer at $8M and there wasn't an established $8M coach that was going to risk their career here, so the point is completely moot.

I don't really have a problem with your faulty logic or ice-cold take on the situation, what I have a problem with is you continuously taking a huge crap all over our outstanding, national-championship-winning WBB program and their outstanding coach who has earned and deserves every dime she's paid. What do you propose we do - fire Dawn Staley? Disband the WBB team? They worked their way up to the top WBB program in the nation, that's why they have the resources they do - just like Clemson worked their way up to a top CFB program, which is why they have the resources they do.

Last edited:
I'm just going to be honest, I don't have a clue what your argument is. You seem to be pissed that we pay the top WBB coach in the nation $3M and we don't pay a football coach $8M. You keep bringing up Clemson as your example when they paid their current coach $800K in year one - a coach they hired for all the exact same reasons we hired our coach. We weren't going to go pay a coach $8M and there wasn't an $8M coach that was going to risk their career and legacy here, so the point is completely moot.

I don't really have a problem with your faulty logic or ice-cold take on the situation, what I have a problem with is you continuously taking a huge crap all over our outstanding, national-championship-winning WBB program and their outstanding coach who deserves every dime she's paid.

I never "crapped" on our team. I just said it bleeds money and most of the sports world doesn't care about wbb. Sorry if you have a problem with that, but that's reality. So if you want to "be honest", "be honest" about that.

And like I said, I don't care what they have spent in the past. What they spend now matters. So while we laugh at their wbb attendance and give away free tickets, they rack of football national championships. A dozen wbb national championships don't make up for that. You can pretend it does, but it just doesn't.

Before Dawn that's where we were as a women's program too.
I never "crapped" on our team. I just said it bleeds money and most of the sports world doesn't care about wbb. Sorry if you have a problem with that, but that's reality. So if you want to "be honest", "be honest" about that.

And like I said, I don't care what they have spent in the past. What they spend now matters. So while we laugh at their wbb attendance and give away free tickets, they rack of football national championships. A dozen wbb national championships don't make up for that. You can pretend it does, but it just doesn't.
Yeah you are crapping on the WBB. You are picking out one budget item and using that as a bludgeon for the problems of the football team.

It’s a false narrative. If DS had never been hired, we would still be in the same place with football. IF we “defunded” WBB today, it would not solve the problem of a crappy meddling board, the fact we made a mistake with Muschamp(Who’s payout would have covered WBB for 5 years), being in the hardest league around, having our rival experience historic success and many other things.

You are trying to use WBB as excuse or to deflect from how the FB program has been mismanaged from the end of the Spurrier era

And I find it odd that you have chosen THE most successful team on campus as your whipping girl

Pure sarcasm to follow

The baseball team with a facilities expense of over 40 million over the last decade is not mentioned. It’s not a money maker like FB, the fans aren’t really coming and the team is not that good. Why not sell that property partner with the fireflies? That would provide plenty of surplus and get rid of a money pit, right?

Last edited:

Blindly giving money to a coach that has yet to prove he can succeed in Columbia hasn't worked so wonderfully for us before (Horn, Muschamp, Martin). I don't think paying a 12 million dollars buyout for Muschamp while he wins a national title elsewhere is the sound investment you think it is. I can only imagine what the buyout would be if we did what you propose.

And this is the problem with your comparison.

You're comparing year ten of one contract with year one of another.

No, I did not.

I compared to what they are willing to pay for a head coach to what we were willing to pay for a head coach. Today. In football. And in wbb. We were not willing to shell out $9-$10 million to get the top coach available.

Name another SEC school that spends more on a wbb coach than they do a head football coach.

Reactions: 76MACC
Yeah you are crapping on the WBB. You are picking out one budget item and using that as a bludgeon for the problems of the football team.

It’s a false narrative. If DS had never been hired, we would still be in the same place with football. IF we “defunded” WBB today, it would not solve the problem of a crappy meddling board, the fact we made a mistake with Muschamp(Who’s payout would have covered WBB for 5 years), being in the hardest league around, having our rival experience historic success and many other things.

You are trying to use WBB as excuse or to deflect from how the FB program has been mismanaged from the end of the Spurrier era

And I find it odd that you have chosen THE most successful team on campus as your whipping girl

Pure sarcasm to follow

The baseball team with a facilities expense of over 40 million over the last decade is not mentioned. It’s not a money maker like FB, the fans aren’t really coming and the team is not that good. Why not sell that property partner with the fireflies? That would provide plenty of surplus and get rid of a money pit, right?

We lose $1.3 million (not $4.5 million) a year on baseball and have two national championships. Something Clemscum doesn't have and do actually care about. It's really all we have to hang our hats on. Absolutely money well spent and about the only thing we can throw in our rival's face without getting laughed at. We could win 20 wbb championships and it wouldn't move the needle in our rivalry on bit, just like their soccer national championship.

Nobody is crapping on anybody. That is just the reality.

We lose $1.3 million (not $4.5 million) a year on baseball and have two national championships. Something Clemscum doesn't have and do actually care about. It's really all we have to hang our hats on. Absolutely money well spent and about the only thing we can throw in our rival's face without getting laughed at. We could win 20 wbb championships and it wouldn't move the needle in our rivalry on bit, just like their soccer national championship.

Nobody is crapping on anybody. That is just the reality.
Yeah you are scapegoating WBB for FB own problems. Any facilities improvement in BB has been minor and not 40M, so amortize that over the past decade and baseball is bleeding 5M a year for a team that has fallen short for almost a decade. All this is to say You have cherry picked one expense and for what? To give football more money to mismanage.
I dearly want football to succeed but scapegoating and gutting the WBB program DOES NOTHING TO SOLVE OUR FOOTBALL PROGRAM. It is your mindset and reality but not “THE REALITY”

It does not matter. In a few years, $3 mill salary for a good coach won’t be nothing. It’s all out of whack. Something is going to happen to bring this thing back into proper prospective. Got to. It is not sustainable. A hot dog I paid 20 cents for 30 years ago is now $3.50. We are paying coaches crazy figures. I understand “market driven” so don’t go there. But when these freshman players will soon be making more from NILs than the educated and experienced minds that are teaching them, it’s out of whack.

It does not matter. In a few years, $3 mill salary for a good coach won’t be nothing. It’s all out of whack. Something is going to happen to bring this thing back into proper prospective. Got to. It is not sustainable. A hot dog I paid 20 cents for 30 years ago is now $3.50. We are paying coaches crazy figures. I understand “market driven” so don’t go there. But when these freshman players will soon be making more from NILs than the educated and experienced minds that are teaching them, it’s out of whack.
Side note.... 12oz nasty ass Bud light is 9$ at USC BBgames

No, I did not.

I compared to what they are willing to pay for a head coach to what we were willing to pay for a head coach. Today. In football. And in wbb. We were not willing to shell out $9-$10 million to get the top coach available.

Name another SEC school that spends more on a wbb coach than they do a head football coach.

Yes, today, this year. In year ten(ish) of dabos contract and year one of beamers. That would be the snapshot of right now.

Yes, today, this year. In year ten(ish) of dabos contract and year one of beamers. That would be the snapshot of right now.

Yes, this year, they spent $8 million for a NC winning coach. We didn't and we could have if we were willing to shell out the big bucks and give a big enough buy out. We are willing to do that for wbb. They aren't. And that is the point. Unless there was some rule that is just for USC that we have to hire a beginner at a low salary and work them up. And I say that being one of the biggest supporters of Beamer and his staff on this board.

There is zero doubt that they want it more. That's why they are willing to pay $130k for a wbb coach and give away free tickets to the game but throw way more money that football than we are. The results speak for themselves.

Reactions: 76MACC
Yes, this year, they spent $8 million for a NC winning coach. We didn't and we could have if we were willing to shell out the big bucks and give a big enough buy out.
Not true, and not at all reality. No $8M coach was coming here after the Muschamp disaster and considering where we were as a program. Our best options were basically Napier at $5M or Beamer at $2.75. We chose Beamer because we thought he was the best option, and he's proven that true.

In no reality were we going to land Jimbo Fisher, David Shaw, Dabo Swinney, James Franklin, Mario Cristobal or Ryan Day as our HBC. And even if we did manage to land any of those unrealistic options, what we paid Dawn Staley at the time would have NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. She didn't get her raise until October of this past year, well after our HBC had been hired and the season was underway.

Just give it up dude, the two things (Dawn's salary and what Clemson pays Dabo in year 13) have NOTHING to do with each other, and aren't indicative of anything other than the wild success those coaches have had in their respective sports.

Yes, this year, they spent $8 million for a NC winning coach. We didn't and we could have if we were willing to shell out the big bucks and give a big enough buy out. We are willing to do that for wbb. They aren't. And that is the point. Unless there was some rule that is just for USC that we have to hire a beginner at a low salary and work them up. And I say that being one of the biggest supporters of Beamer and his staff on this board.

There is zero doubt that they want it more. That's why they are willing to pay $130k for a wbb coach and give away free tickets to the game but throw way more money that football than we are. The results speak for themselves.

As was said above, no national title winning coach was going to come to Columbia last year.

But the simple truth is Clemson hired on the cheap and rewarded that coach after he succeeded. Usc is following that exact path.

If Beamer wins a couple national titles, hell, even a couple sec titles, he will be paid that much too.

You are arguing that carolina should do what clemson is doing while carolina is doing that already. Carolina is just at the starting point, and Clemson is ten years in.

Last edited:
It's you that doesn't understand. Everybody knows the history, but that is incompetent, irrelevant and immaterial, unless there is some rule that prevented us from hiring an $8 million coach when we were shopping after Muschamp. I like and support Beamer and hope he will do well, but we hired on the cheap to develop a coach instead of trying to get to that coaching level immediately.

In football, the most profitable college sport, they are willing to pay top dollar. We are not. But we do it in women's basketball, a sport that loses a ton of money. Clemson will never waste $3 million on a wbb coach like we do. Ever. Because they understand that if there is a sport they are going to throw money at, it's going to be the one with the most prestige and ROI.
Who is "they?"

Not sure I want to enter this debate but...

I just read an article about NIL deals and to my surprise, when categorized by sport, women's basketball brings in 26.2% of NIL compensation which is #2 to football (at 45.7% compensation).

This is just me postulating but if women's basketball is valued that much by basically taking up a quarter of all NIL compensation, then theoretically someone, somewhere has done the research to realize that people are paying attention to the sport to put their brand and money behind WBB players. I think the sport is more relevant than some people would expect.

https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-south-carolina-columbia/student-life/sports/

And the publicity/reputational value is BS. Nobody cares other than a bunch of wokesters. The money is in football and the reputation of being a top football program is worth a zillion times anything she or women's basketball as whole brings to the table.

That's just how it works in the real world.
The real world is Title IX!!
You need to compare us to all other SEC schools….not Clemson.
I don’t understand any Gamecock fan complaining about the womens basketball coach and the money spent on her program. BTW how much money are we wasting on Frank Martin and the mens bb program. And how much money did we waste and throw away on Football and Muschamp?

Reactions: uscedge21
I don’t understand any Gamecock fan complaining about the womens basketball coach and the money spent on her program. BTW how much money are we wasting on Frank Martin and the mens bb program. And how much money did we waste and throw away on Football and Muschamp?

Men's basketball makes money. So does football. A lot.

That's not what I'm seeing.

https://swimswam.com/an-early-look-at-which-college-athletes-are-getting-nil-deals/

MOST NIL COMPENSATION BY SPORT:

1. 55.4% – Football
2. 13.4% – Men’s Basketball
3. 6.7% – Women’s Volleyball
4. 4.7% – Women’s Basketball
5. 4.0% – Women’s Swimming & Diving
6. 2.0% – Men’s Swimming & Diving
7. 1.8% – Softball
8. 1.3% – Men’s Track & Field
9. 1.2% – Women’s Ice Hockey
10. 1.1% – Men’s Baseball

Pure sarcasm to follow

Its clear the guy just really doesnt care for our womens bball program. Its abundantly clear. I can guess as to why but no reason for it.

So should we go woke with womens sports or not to win more in football? I’ll to whatever it takes….. if we have a beach volleyball team I won’t complain!

Last edited:
What do you mean by "got more run?" I was totally unaware that Clempson won the soccer title this year. Not saying that soccer is irrelevant but it is far less popular than wbb. I would think that most average sports fans will know who wins the national championship in wbb the next day. "Totally irrelevant sport"......are you kidding me? Ask people in Tenn, Oregon, Conn, NC and SC (and many other states) if they are aware of the USC women's bb team. You would be unpleasantly surprised I am certain. And finally, who cares what Clempson fans think anyhow?
I live in the upstate. Was shocked that the upstate tater media didn't have a two week long orgasim over this soccer shit. Just as important, my ALWAYS vocal redneck tater fans were almost none existence. Maybe one tater posted about it. I was shocked because these douchbags are always so obnoxious ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!

Reactions: uscedge21
Frank recruited Hall(pretty heavily if I recall), and he chose Clemmons. How is that Frank’s fault?
I wasn't basing my statement on one specific player. Its based on Frank's body of work at Carolina over 10 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT