ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson WBB - Wow

Should be none since NIL is a private matter and not related to a school.
I would expect a higher percentage of NIL in WBB here than at Auburn, and a higher percentage of swimming/diving at Auburn than at USC.

My point is that nationwide percentages will likely not be representative of percentages of each school, especially if a school does not sponsor a sport, e.g., men's volleyball, ice hockey, football, gymnastics, etc.

That is exactly the point. We are willing to spend top dollar on a women's basketball coach to lose $4.5 million a year. We weren't willing to do that for football, the most profitable and prestigious college sport. They were, and now they have an elite program.

So, laugh at their women's basketball program all you want. They put their money in the far better investment.

Sickening.
You Clemson fans really suck. Just because you have joined the "johnny come lately club" does not mean you are an expert on olympic sports. I mean you drop mens and womens swimming, mens wrestling, because you do not know how to win in an olympic sport. If you think womens d1 basketball is a bad investment tell me why LSU just hired a hall of fame coach, why Tennessee has a hall of fame for Pat Summit and her womens basketball program, why UCONN has double digit national championships. Those programs are a window for the university and their other programs. Gymnastics is another example of an olypic sport that Alabama, LSU, Georgia all have spent a lot of money on their gymnastics. To them to have a whole rounded athletic program is better for their schools. So do you call those schools investments in those programs sickening. I think not. What is interesting I saw where Moo U is going to start a gymnastics program and a lacrosse program. Both of those sports are supported by the school as well and are non revenue sports. USC has made a great investment in womens basketball and their fans will always support the womens basketball program as they continue with more and more excellence on and off the court.

Reactions: uscwatson21
As I said, I don't care what Dabo was paid his first year. Irrelevant. I only care about what is spent now.
Yes, 3 million for a wbb coach is a complete waste of money
I never said give Beamer a raise, just that Clemson was willing to shell out more for coach in the sport that matters most. We could have done that but choose not to do so.
Yes, I can say LSU. They got what they paid for.

So, back to the original point. We can laugh at their wbb attendance while they pour all their money into football and rack up national championships. Guess who is laughing last and loudest?
Rather than get into a back and forth discussion, I will simply say to you - Go cheer for Clemson. You probably do already.

You Clemson fans really suck. Just because you have joined the "johnny come lately club" does not mean you are an expert on olympic sports. I mean you drop mens and womens swimming, mens wrestling, because you do not know how to win in an olympic sport. If you think womens d1 basketball is a bad investment tell me why LSU just hired a hall of fame coach, why Tennessee has a hall of fame for Pat Summit and her womens basketball program, why UCONN has double digit national championships. Those programs are a window for the university and their other programs. Gymnastics is another example of an olypic sport that Alabama, LSU, Georgia all have spent a lot of money on their gymnastics. To them to have a whole rounded athletic program is better for their schools. So do you call those schools investments in those programs sickening. I think not. What is interesting I saw where Moo U is going to start a gymnastics program and a lacrosse program. Both of those sports are supported by the school as well and are non revenue sports. USC has made a great investment in womens basketball and their fans will always support the womens basketball program as they continue with more and more excellence on and off the court.
The ROI for sports not called football and men's basketball for the most part cannot be measure in straight dollars. There is an ROI; measured by what accountants term good will.

Clemson fans are too stupid to realise ROI. All they know is playing beside a cemetery, (that is why they call it Death Valley because everything is dead there), rubbing a damn rock, and running down a washed out hill.

Reactions: CarlUSC
The ROI for sports not called football and men's basketball for the most part cannot be measure in straight dollars. There is an ROI; measured by what accountants term good will.

I can agree with that. The impact of that good will is hard to quantify though, and can be debated forever.

And I'm okay with a good-spirited, respectful debate. Methinks that Athletic Department, the President, and the BOT constatntly work to quantify it,

Agreed. I think they would be foolish not to.

Not that I think it's a major deal, but one of those "use every advantage you can get" sort of deals.

They only waste $3 million a year on women's basketball. Probably explains why the spend more than us on football recruiting
They spend more on football recruiting than we do because we have an AD that is behind the times and refuses to provide a reasonable recruiting budget. Yes, Dawn has earned her salary.
net-profit-loss-womens-sports_lg.jpeg

One of the worst comparisons I’ve ever seen.

Dawn Staley is worth every penny. She has expanded the fan base and created not just a winning program but a championship program. Proof that winning will fill the stands. The same can happen in men’s basketball with the right coach
Especially if they lower the price of men's season tickets from $260 each to $70 each to match the women's price. A LOT more people would come to the men's game at that price. Maybe not as many because of Women's National Championship, but there would be more people.

Reactions: CarlUSC and ForeUSC
I wasn't basing my statement on one specific player. Its based on Frank's body of work at Carolina over 10 years.
My statement isn’t really based on one player either. Hall was an example. He recruited Zion hard and many other guys as well. He’s not going to offer them money and stuff so he’s not going to land the top end guys. Sin wanted to play at North Carolina, and if they had offered, Frank wouldn’t have got him. The whole Dozier family pretty much played at Carolina, so getting P.J. was probably due to that. He hits the trail hard but there are things that he’s just not going to do(and he shouldn’t).Maybe he should try to resurrect the New York pipeline…IDK.

Reactions: CarlUSC and ForeUSC
I can agree with that. The impact of that good will is hard to quantify though, and can be debated forever.
Actually it’s not. “Goodwill” is basically a premium that is due to a perception of success that would cause a buyer to pay more than “book value” due to success, reputation, competitive advantages, etc. Having said that a college sports program is not “for sale” because it cannot be sold. A measure could possibly be what another fan base or athletic program might be willing to “pay” to have a program with that level or degree of success. Impossible to calculate, probably not. I am sure it could be done. However how much actually exists for USC’s WBB program? I would estimate the amount of goodwill would be substantial. Would Clemson pay it? Probably not. Would Penn State or Michigan or USC West pay it? Probably quickly and yes.

Great comments! Our daughter was a decent gymnast but went in another direction. Always hoped USC would add Women's Gymnastics to our program.

Actually it’s not. “Goodwill” is basically a premium that is due to a perception of success that would cause a buyer to pay more than “book value” due to success, reputation, competitive advantages, etc. Having said that a college sports program is not “for sale” because it cannot be sold. A measure could possibly be what another fan base or athletic program might be willing to “pay” to have a program with that level or degree of success. Impossible to calculate, probably not. I am sure it could be done. However how much actually exists for USC’s WBB program? I would estimate the amount of goodwill would be substantial. Would Clemson pay it? Probably not. Would Penn State or Michigan or USC West pay it? Probably quickly and yes.
Gee and I thought I was the only CPA posting to this page. LOL

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
Honest question for some of you in this thread...

Do any of you do any of the following things?
  • Talk about WBB with your friends
  • Attempt to talk WBB smack to Clemson fans you know
  • Wear WBB jerseys/shirts around town
  • Have intense WBB discussions at family get-togethers like Thanksgiving and Christmas

I'm a fourth generation Carolina grad who loves basketball as per my screen name, but I've never had a single discussion with anyone about WBB other than someone saying Dawn won a natty. Literally nobody cares. Clemson probably got more run out of their men's soccer national title this year than we will ever get out of WBB no matter how long Dawn stays here.

It's a totally irrelevant sport that literally nobody follows or cares about in this state or any other state. Clemson fans laugh at us when anyone brings it up.
You are wrong and your screen name is stupid

Reactions: USC2USC

I'm not sure you really refuted me there. I didn't say it was impossible to calculate, I said it would be hard to. Your answer involved:

A measure could possibly be what another fan base or athletic program might be willing to “pay” to have a program with that level or degree of success..

I wouldn't say that's an easy calculation, as you correctly point out later that some schools wouldn't pay a dime for it. (My wording). That sort of thing could be argued endlessly, imo.

I see very little dollar value in "good will" myself. Maybe it impacts name recognition for the school, but sports so far down ladder probably don't move the needle with most people.

I suppose my main issue, succinctly, is that "good will" is not a quantifiable commodity that can be easily measured (and therefore valued).

I'm not sure you really refuted me there. I didn't say it was impossible to calculate, I said it would be hard to. Your answer involved:

A measure could possibly be what another fan base or athletic program might be willing to “pay” to have a program with that level or degree of success..

I wouldn't say that's an easy calculation, as you correctly point out later that some schools wouldn't pay a dime for it. (My wording). That sort of thing could be argued endlessly, imo.

I see very little dollar value in "good will" myself. Maybe it impacts name recognition for the school, but sports so far down ladder probably don't move the needle with most people.

I suppose my main issue, succinctly, is that "good will" is not a quantifiable commodity that can be easily measured (and therefore valued).
I wasn’t trying to refute but complement. And I agree with your opinion. Goodwill exists but it’s basically impossible to quantify in a case like this. However it does exist would be the main point and would likely be substantial.

I wasn’t trying to refute but complement. And I agree with your opinion. Goodwill exists but it’s basically impossible to quantify in a case like this. However it does exist would be the main point and would likely be substantial.

Yeah, I shouldn't have used the word refute.

What I was ineligantly saying was that our opinions weren't opposed, just maybe a variation in how substantial that "good will" is.

Not an accountant, but there's undoubtedly some Good Will there, or USC would not have invested in WBB like it has.

Whiterock & Lurker, it appears to me that the two of your are doing the kind of Good Will dance which the Athletic Department, the School President, and the Board of Trustees engage in on an ongoing basis. They go at it much more in depth, for certain.

Not an accountant, but there's undoubtedly some Good Will there, or USC would not have invested in WBB like it has.

Whiterock & Lurker, it appears to me that the two of your are doing the kind of Good Will dance which the Athletic Department, the School President, and the Board of Trustees engage in on an ongoing basis. They go at it much more in depth, for certain.
That’s their job. In this case they seemed to have done it pretty well. Others don’t agree others do. You need to check out Twitter. Lots of WBB fans over there.

Reactions: atl-cock
Honest question for some of you in this thread...

Do any of you do any of the following things?
  • Talk about WBB with your friends
  • Attempt to talk WBB smack to Clemson fans you know
  • Wear WBB jerseys/shirts around town
  • Have intense WBB discussions at family get-togethers like Thanksgiving and Christmas

I'm a fourth generation Carolina grad who loves basketball as per my screen name, but I've never had a single discussion with anyone about WBB other than someone saying Dawn won a natty. Literally nobody cares. Clemson probably got more run out of their men's soccer national title this year than we will ever get out of WBB no matter how long Dawn stays here.

It's a totally irrelevant sport that literally nobody follows or cares about in this state or any other state. Clemson fans laugh at us when anyone brings it up.
Clemson won a soccer championship? You being the 4th generation USC grad in your family does not mean that everyone today holds the same outdated and sexist views you great grandpappy held. The fact that you mentioned Clemson so many times makes me wonder if maybe the Carolina school you attended is in the northwest part of our state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT