ADVERTISEMENT

Cleveland MLB team ditching Indians

Everyone with the simplest gripe that they are offended by the slightest thing now have a license to steal in today's PC society. Meanwhile, the vast majorities stand back and let it all happen as they don't want to be labeled by the left. Folks, we better start standing up to this nonsense at every turn or there will be no stopping it.

I guess I just don't get what's offensive about it? The got rid of Chief Wahoo years ago. Is just the word itself now offensive? It was not used at all in a derogatory way. It's really hard to keep up with what the rules are.

It's kind of like the Uncle Bens thing. Just a picture of a black guy...a real one who actually lived and was used as a positive portrayal. We were told that's offensive but the Quaker Oats guy isn't. Sister Shubert isn't. Marie Callendar isn't. Chef Boyardee. On and on it goes. It's kind of funny. There are "white" product spokespeople all throughout the grocery store, but it's racist to have black ones?

It's kind of like the Uncle Bens thing. Just a picture of a black guy...a real one who actually lived and was used as a positive portrayal. We were told that's offensive but the Quaker Oats guy isn't. Sister Shubert isn't. Marie Callendar isn't. Chef Boyardee. On and on it goes. It's kind of funny. There are "white" product spokespeople all throughout the grocery store, but it's racist to have black ones?

Calling black people "Aunt" or "Uncle" is itself a racist tradition.

Calling black people "Aunt" or "Uncle" is itself a racist tradition.

It's been rebranded to Ben's Original and the black guy's picture has been removed. Why remove the black guy's picture? If it was the word "uncle" that was problematic, that was addressed with the name change. Could not Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben have changed the names and kept the images? You won't find more wholesome, positive portrayals.

Reactions: oakley51
It's been rebranded to Ben's Original and the black guy's picture has been removed. Why remove the black guy's picture? If it was the word "uncle" that was problematic, that was addressed with the name change. Could not Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben have changed the names and kept the images? You won't find more wholesome, positive portrayals.

Aunt Jemima is a "mammy" stereotype. I wouldn't call that wholesome or positive.

jemima.jpg

1412628706000-1915AuntJemima.jpg

aunt_jemima.jpg

78-133.jpg

Last edited:
No, it was changed a while back to tone down the blatant racism. Still not many good reasons why they shouldn't just ditch the brand altogether and come up with something more appropriate for modern times, IMO.

So is there a justification in that answer for why it's ok for there to be scores of white product mascots but it's not ok to have a black one? Would it be offensive to keep the Ben mascot for the rebranded Ben's Original Rice?

Could they rebrand Aunt Jemima's as Sally's Country Syrup and keep the same image?

It’s offensive because a race of people shouldn’t be used as a mascot - it’s really that simple

But all people have a race, so.....you're saying no human mascots should be the standard?

Reactions: cockofdawn
Also I have listened to a million documentaries and books refer to the Jewish people as Jews - was that racist?

Reactions: cockofdawn
And actually using a tribe is a lot less racist but I am not sure you understand that

Oh Okay, so just when it Fits YOUR Narrative. Sorry I am not worthy!! Bottom Line is THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!
It’s not my narrative it’s indigenous peoples, try listening to them

And what I said is true I was talking about a race of people and he brought up tribes for no reason

So you’re okay with a team being called the New York Jews or Carolina Blacks?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT