ADVERTISEMENT

coach bentley

be cocky

Jan 29, 2019
Mount Pleasant
will be oc later this year or beginning of next season. let me ask this though! can’t tight ends work with the oline coach and split time with receivers coach? why does there have to be a designated te coach, there are only four maybe five tight ends on the entire squad and we have one coach just for them?
Bentley has now been two offensive coaches for our team within four years, he was extremely successful in his high school pedigree, why would he not be the next offensive coordinator? (since we hire frim within) Hell, they offered him a one year job at Auburn, but we gave zero looks at him to be our next offense of coordinator? put him up in the booth and let the man work. jake or no jake, i think he can spin up some formations to get us some needed w’s.

Reactions: Brace1
will be oc later this year or beginning of next season. let me ask this though! can’t tight ends work with the oline coach and split time with receivers coach? why does there have to be a designated te coach, there are only four maybe five tight ends on the entire squad and we have one coach just for them?
Bentley has now been two offensive coaches for our team within four years, he was extremely successful in his high school pedigree, why would he not be the next offensive coordinator? (since we hire frim within) Hell, they offered him a one year job at Auburn, but we gave zero looks at him to be our next offense of coordinator? put him up in the booth and let the man work. jake or no jake, i think he can spin up some formations to get us some needed w’s.
That says it all.

Muschamp is to dumb to see what’s in front of him. When you give the job to a guy who’s never called a play on “any level” the offensive coordinator position, over one who has set records on the High School and small College level then you need your head examined! It would be understandable if Champ gave the Job to Dan Werner or he would’ve hired a good ‘offensive coordinator” from somewhere else-But he hires an unproven coach over a man, who ran the kind of offenses, “the college game (imitated) the last several years. It’s hilarious and I been laughing my tail off, watching our clueless coach dig his grave deeper and deeper, with a ugly offense ran by a receivers coach. Muschamp deserves to eat every bit of our wrath, because he has two Real offensive coordinators “On staff, and he’s not using neither of them.” Will Muschamp is an idiot, and I laugh at him and the “few fans’ who continue to back him, and those Same fans praised his hiring of Bryan McClendon as Offensive Coordinator. Bobby Bentley will be gone next year and he’ll be a Coordinator, and I guarantee you he’ll be more successful then the guy calling plays for us. Just remember all the posters that’s putting him down, so you can throw it back in their face!

Last edited:
It takes better coaching to be consistent in high school where you play the hand delt. I know some of you will say there's recruiting in high school and there is, but a very very small percentage of players and teams.
So to do it consistently points to Good coaching.

To be fair, I don’t think Bobby Bentley has been given enough responsibility to tell if he’s a better college coach than some we have. I am not necessarily advocating for it either.

On the flip side, Gus Malzahn was “just a high school coach” at one time too.

I wish folks would quit leaning on what Bentley did at Byrnes as evidence that he's an offensive genius.
His offense set records at Presbyterian too, and they still stand. He was 6-5 his first year and 4-8 the second year, he left because the administration lied about the money that was gonna be allocated to the football team. A good offensive coordinator is a good offensive coordinator, it doesn’t matter what level he was on, just like in business everybody starts somewhere, you just gotta be given a chance!

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
His offense set records at Presbyterian too, and they still stand. He was 6-5 his first year and 4-8 the second year, he left because the administration lied about the money that was gonna be allocated to the football team. A good offensive coordinator is a good offensive coordinator, it doesn’t matter what level he was on, just like in business everybody starts somewhere, you just gotta be given a chance!

If he's so good, then why haven't others lined up to offer him OC jobs?

Reactions: Flameout12
Bentley is more likely looking for a job next year than being the OC.

If they thought he was the guy, they would not have removed him from the RB and dropped him over there in coaching purgatory (TE coach).

My guess is because he's been on staff at his son's school. Once Jake is officially done here, I bet you see BB move on (up) pretty quickly.

My guess is because he's been on staff at his son's school. Once Jake is officially done here, I bet you see BB move on (up) pretty quickly.

I wouldn't think that would matter much. Other universities don't care where his son plays. If he was really a no-brainer for OC, he would have been snatched up somewhere.

For the record, I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good OC, but there are TONS of dynamic high school offenses out there. We just happen to know about Bentley.

Why would they? He hasn’t been a OC anywhere, he was the head coach at Byrnes, PC, and back to Byrnes. Then he was an offensive analyst at Auburn then he came here. Auburn offered him the OC position last year, but he turned it down because his son is a Gamecock. Bobby Bentley is a good football coach, it doesn’t matter if some of our fans don’t like him, He knows what he’s doing! A lot of fans are judging him on the performance of the RB position the last few years, and some on what happened at Presbyterian; and then we have those fans that hated him before he got here, because of what he did in the high school ranks. Fans hating on him is not gonna make him a bad coach, and we might not see him coaching college ball next year. He might go back and coach a High School team who knows, and he might have another Marcus Lattimore type player that he’ll steer away from USC. If he goes to a rival school he definitely gonna talk us down because of the way he and Jake was treated here.

Reactions: BoykinSpanielCock
So far so good as TE coach, I though Markway played a good game, just wanted to throw that in :)

giphy.gif

I'm friends with Tim Webb, the QB who threw for 648 yards in a single game for Bentley while at PC. Tim was an excellent QB and he's very smart. He said BB knows offense and offensive strategy as well as almost anyone. Naturally, he's going to laud his ex-coach, but I do put a lot of stock in his opinion.

It is so comical that SC had one OC ( Roper) that people wanted to run out of town, 2 years removed from inheriting a dumpster fire with 1 NFL offensive threat on the team and a soph. QB
....SC then promotes a guy with ZERO OC experience and to date, thats not exactly going well.
...Now, some people are touting Bentley to OC... thank goodness only about 5 % of the people on this board are making 90 % of the noise regarding Bentley to the OC position

It is so comical that SC had one OC ( Roper) that people wanted to run out of town, 2 years removed from inheriting a dumpster fire with 1 NFL offensive threat on the team and a soph. QB
....SC then promotes a guy with ZERO OC experience and to date, thats not exactly going well.
...Now, some people are touting Bentley to OC... thank goodness only about 5 % of the people on this board are making 90 % of the noise regarding Bentley to the OC position
I wanted him as offensive coordinator then, and a few others did also, but I knew Muschamp wouldn’t go in that direction. He was hesitant to let Bobby coach Jake up for the bowl game against Michigan. I don’t care that Bobby Bentley is not the OC. I’m glad he’s coaching the tight ends, he doesn’t need to put his offense under Will Muschamp. Because there’s no doubt it’ll be watered down, and now that I think about it.” Byran McClendon might not be as bad as I thought. He is running an offense under Will Muschamp. :(

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Would be very surprised if they want him back at Byrnes High School with the way he left.

It takes better coaching to be consistent in high school where you play the hand delt. I know some of you will say there's recruiting in high school and there is, but a very very small percentage of players and teams.
So to do it consistently points to Good coaching.
I talked with the head coach of the #2 team in Virginia (can't remember which division) at church this morning. He said (with some humility) that most people think that HS coaches are no where near as capable at play calling or understanding offenses or defenses as college or pro coaches. He was arguing that if you know what you are doing at the HS level, and were given a commensurate talent level as your opponent, that people would be surprised at how well a good HS coach would fare.

I'd be interested in Bentley as OC. Someone is going to give him a chance, though. We'll see how we start performing after Bama. I have no idea what happened against UNC. That was horrible.

I talked with the head coach of the #2 team in Virginia (can't remember which division) at church this morning. He said (with some humility) that most people think that HS coaches are no where near as capable at play calling or understanding offenses or defenses as college or pro coaches. He was arguing that if you know what you are doing at the HS level, and were given a commensurate talent level as your opponent, that people would be surprised at how well a good HS coach would fare.

I'd be interested in Bentley as OC. Someone is going to give him a chance, though. We'll see how we start performing after Bama. I have no idea what happened against UNC. That was horrible.

Let's not forget what got the train rolling at Clemson- hiring Chad Morris as OC when he had only one year's college experience after high school coaching.

Plodding along doing the accepted thing with traditional hires is probably not going to cut it.

Let's not forget what got the train rolling at Clemson- hiring Chad Morris as OC when he had only one year's college experience after high school coaching.

Plodding along doing the accepted thing with traditional hires is probably not going to cut it.
Morris was not the reason the ball got rolling at Clemson. It was Dabo’s ability to sell recruits and their families on Clemson (CJ Spiller was the big get to kick start everything), hire quality folks and let them work (and get the school on board with paying them), and be willing to make changes when it didn’t work.

And no, I am not ready to turn our offense over to Bentley. I do think McClendon can and will be a good OC. I just think he has to have the ability to turn the offense loose.

I wanted him as offensive coordinator then, and a few others did also, but I knew Muschamp wouldn’t go in that direction. He was hesitant to let Bobby coach Jake up for the bowl game against Michigan. I don’t care that Bobby Bentley is not the OC. I’m glad he’s coaching the tight ends, he doesn’t need to put his offense under Will Muschamp. Because there’s no doubt it’ll be watered down, and now that I think about it.” Byran McClendon might not be as bad as I thought. He is running an offense under Will Muschamp. :(
I was going to say this very thing. I really don't think it matters who is the OC as long as Will Muschamp is the HC. He talks a lot about needing to score more points, but then always tightens up and goes conservative in a close/big game.

That's why he needs to go. Today.

I wouldn’t call hiring 2 hall of fame coaches and then a coach who couldn’t win at Florida hardly traditional hires

Last edited:
Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter

Highland Springs? Maury? Manchester? Oscar Smith?

Muschamp is to dumb to see what’s in front of him. When you give the job to a guy who’s never called a play on “any level” the offensive coordinator position, over one who has set records on the High School and small College level then you need your head examined! It would be understandable if Champ gave the Job to Dan Werner or he would’ve hired a good ‘offensive coordinator” from somewhere else-But he hires an unproven coach over a man, who ran the kind of offenses, “the college game (imitated) the last several years. It’s hilarious and I been laughing my tail off, watching our clueless coach dig his grave deeper and deeper, with a ugly offense ran by a receivers coach. Muschamp deserves to eat every bit of our wrath, because he has two Real offensive coordinators “On staff, and he’s not using neither of them.” Will Muschamp is an idiot, and I laugh at him and the “few fans’ who continue to back him, and those Same fans praised his hiring of Bryan McClendon as Offensive Coordinator. Bobby Bentley will be gone next year and he’ll be a Coordinator, and I guarantee you he’ll be more successful then the guy calling plays for us. Just remember all the posters that’s putting him down, so you can throw it back in their face!
Man, go straight to the doctor and get some pills. Your calling Muschamp an idiot. Look in the mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT