ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Muschamp's CTJ Moment

samuraicock

Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
Taipei, Taiwan
After a full afternoon of walking around town with the boys to clear my mind, it occurs to me that maybe, despite Coach Muschamp's tremendous work here, someone he respects needs to have a serious conversation with him. Given RT's background as a coach, he may be loathe to do this. I don't know if we even if we have a big donor with both the background and the clout to have this conversation, but if we do, it might go something like this"

"Will, we could not be more thrilled to have you as our coach. You represent the university with class, and are without a doubt a great ambassador for our program. Your acumen as a defensive coach is superb, and you are a tireless recruiter and evaluator of talent.

All that said, you are never going to be as successful as you could - or should - be as a Head Coach if you do not seriously reevaluate your approach to offense.

I know you admire and respect the Nick Saban blueprint for success. I know that you believe that ball control offense will win games for you. I also know that you can read the tea leaves. Alabama needed every one of it's 45 points to beat Clemson two years ago, and lost last year when they scored 31. They lost in 2014 in their last game, against OSU, scoring 35. They lost to Oklahoma in 2013 in their last game, scoring 31.

Will, your team struggled yet again this year to muster 22 points per game on offense.

That's just not going to get it done in this era, no matter how stout your defense. Not if you want to compete at the highest levels.

Be bold. I know you probably hate the analogy, but consider that Dabo, the potato in the upstate, started his upward ascent by admitting that Billy Napier wasn't getting it done, and going after Chad Morris. He fired Napier with no reservations, and Napier averaged 3 ppg more than your team just did.

It's your call, obviously, but know this - you will need to score, and score, and score again in this day and age if you want to survive and advance, and your current offense is not nearly adequate to get you where you want to go.

Nick knew he needed to evolve, and score more. Perhaps you need to do so, too, if you want to win as much as you could."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News