ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching success and body type

loriscock77

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
Seems to me that the most successful coaches are generally not obese. As far as national championship coaches, you'd be hard pressed to find one who wasn't in at least reasonable shape at the time.

Ed Orgeron
Dabo
Nick Saban
Urban Meyer
Jimbo Fisher
Gene Chizik
Les Miles
Mack Brown
Pete Carroll
Bob Stoops

I'm not saying these guys are Mr. Universe, but they look better than Muschamp, Brad Scott, and Mike Bobo. Perhaps health discipline translates into professional discipline.

Just an observation.....

Reactions: Heyward1
Seems to me that the most successful coaches are generally not obese. As far as national championship coaches, you'd be hard pressed to find one who wasn't in at least reasonable shape at the time.

Ed Orgeron
Dabo
Nick Saban
Urban Meyer
Jimbo Fisher
Gene Chizik
Les Miles
Mack Brown
Pete Carroll
Bob Stoops

I'm not saying these guys are Mr. Universe, but they look better than Muschamp, Brad Scott, and Mike Bobo. Perhaps health discipline translates into professional discipline.

Just an observation.....

Don’t think that’s a fair assessment at all...and for the record I don’t care about the politically correct crap and applaud you for being bold enough to say it. Might be easier on the eyes but that’s about it.

Mark Mangina made Kansas relevant, something I did not think would ever happen. Les Miles is finding out how hard that is.

Andy Reid is the reigning Super Bowl champ and he looks like he’s up for a run to the Waffle House at 3 am.

Most coaches that are head coaches tend to be slimmer just because that translates well in the interview. I could give more examples of guys large and in charge but you get the picture.

These are exceptions I believe. Mangino in particular is a stretch (no pun intended). If you take out his 2007 season in which he went 12-1, he was 38-47 at Kansas. Put a different way, he only had 3 winning seasons out of 8.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I know a lot will mock this thread....but if you're hiring the next guy to lead our program...I hope to h#ll they're considering this along with 1,000 nuances about an individual.
It 100% speaks to prioritization of a coach's time, commitment and consistency and whether anyone wants to admit it or not...plays better with 18-24 males. They see a fat slob....you'd better be Belicheck. There aren't any BBs hanging around either. Also, in reality there is a health concern impact to it. Life insurers wants to know your weight, or if you smoke. The contracts they're giving out to HCs in P5 schools these days cost a little more than that. So, it is a silly to bring up I guess....but I hope it's considered.

You guys can have all the Charlie Weis types you can find, but if (said) coach doesn't have anymore respect for himself than to let himself get semi-morbidly obese....then leading a D1 program and the stresses that come along with it probably aren't for him.

Reactions: Heyward1
Well, of our 4 best coaches in modern history, 2 have been slender/presumably fit, (Holtz, Spurrier) and two have been a little overweight, (Carlen, JoMo). So I don't know if your theory really works for us.

I love watching ballroom dancing, but I don’t know anything about ballroom dancing; never ballroom danced. The technicalities, the nuances, the difficulty, the years of work and discipline required; they are foreign to me. Perception is not reality. Therefore I do not comment on ballroom dancing message boards.

What coach said he looked at his assistant's wives to determine their ability to recruit?

James Franklin while still at Vandy.

Not to be that guy, but I remember someone put together pictures of all the coaches' wives after that comment. Umm, so let's just say he had a different definition of 'good lookin' than the rest of us 😕

2 words...

Patrick Mahomes.

How many years has he been coaching before he won a Super Bowl? 20?
That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. He was talking about overweight coaches... Every coach to ever win a FB championship at any level had players that scored the TDs for them. Whether Patrick Mahomes or Eli Manning... That is simply irrelevant. What does the length of time he has been coaching have to do with it? He was a championship contender for most of his career in Philly and immediately improved the Chiefs when he was hired, even before he had Mahomes as his QB. Reid has been one of the best coaches in the NFL for decades and is one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the game. Parrick Mahomes may not have this kind of success under a different HC...

What about Bill Parcels? He was always tubby, Hell his nick name was “the Big Tuna”- and he won multiple super bowls.

The entire premise of the thread is just flat wrong when extrapolated out beyond the last few college champions.

These are exceptions I believe. Mangino in particular is a stretch (no pun intended). If you take out his 2007 season in which he went 12-1, he was 38-47 at Kansas. Put a different way, he only had 3 winning seasons out of 8.

38-47 at Kansas is phenomenal. When is the last time they were anything other than a door mat. They don’t even pretend to care about football.

That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. He was talking about overweight coaches... Every coach to ever win a FB championship at any level had players that scored the TDs for them. Whether Patrick Mahomes or Eli Manning... That is simply irrelevant. What does the length of time he has been coaching have to do with it? He was a championship contender for most of his career in Philly and immediately improved the Chiefs when he was hired, even before he had Mahomes as his QB. Reid has been one of the best coaches in the NFL for decades and is one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the game. Parrick Mahomes may not have this kind of success under a different HC...

What about Bill Parcels? He was always tubby, Hell his nick name was “the Big Tuna”- and he won multiple super bowls.

The entire premise of the thread is just flat wrong when extrapolated out beyond the last few college champions.

I didn't think it was a good premise on the fact fat coaches= no championships. He could have said "College football coaching success and body type" and been little more correct (in the past 20 years). But then you could go back farther than 20 years and you would have your Bobby Bowden's and Philip Fulmers.

I wasn't arguing that Andy Reid is a bad coach. I was saying, and I think any rational person would agree, the Chiefs Super Bowl has more to do with Patrick Mahomes than anything. Guy is a generational talent in the NFL! Not a generational talent talent in the college game, which gets tossed around to often to be "generational".

2 words...

Patrick Mahomes.

How many years has he been coaching before he won a Super Bowl? 20?

You do realize Andy Reid has been a head coach in the NFL for the last 21 seasons. The one time someone was dumb enough to let him go (Philadelphia) he was unemployed for about a week. From Brett Favre to Donovan McNabb to Patrick Mahomes, they all would tell you they owe a great deal of their success to Andy Reid.

Andy Reid is a great coach and would have been if he never even met Patrick Mahomes.

Reactions: rogue cock

Ed Orgeron
Dabo
Nick Saban
Urban Meyer
Jimbo Fisher
Gene Chizik
Les Miles
Mack Brown
Pete Carroll
Bob Stoops

Just an observation.....

images

894c89b11bf6f7b515b29b90d819cd1a.jpg

C91i.gif

I love watching ballroom dancing, but I don’t know anything about ballroom dancing; never ballroom danced. The technicalities, the nuances, the difficulty, the years of work and discipline required; they are foreign to me. Perception is not reality. Therefore I do not comment on ballroom dancing message boards.
well you should start commenting on it. Dance is an art...open to interpretation. Sub .500 win percentage in the SEC is absolute reality...and not open to interpretation.
There is no perception that the sub .500 record is good. All the tears from the 5 year olds due to losses and the last game (LOSS) some 81 year old life-long Gamecock fan ever got to witness in person is reality. Like someone else said - he will never have to work again if he doesn't want to. Coaching D1 football at a P5 university these days is akin to winning a small lottery. Depending on how you live...you can laugh, smile and grin the rest of your life away on some lil' known pond surrounded by trees if the firing is so hard to overcome.

I didn't think it was a good premise on the fact fat coaches= no championships. He could have said "College football coaching success and body type" and been little more correct (in the past 20 years). But then you could go back farther than 20 years and you would have your Bobby Bowden's and Philip Fulmers.

I wasn't arguing that Andy Reid is a bad coach. I was saying, and I think any rational person would agree, the Chiefs Super Bowl has more to do with Patrick Mahomes than anything. Guy is a generational talent in the NFL! Not a generational talent talent in the college game, which gets tossed around to often to be "generational".
Yeah Mahomes is phenomenal. I bet if he played for us this year we would've won 4 or 5 games. My point being even a generational player needs good coaching. (and a good surrounding cast).

Can also add Woody Hayes. With Bowden, Fulmer and Hayes that is a HOF of "tubby" coaches.

Not to belabor the point....but all the coaches mentioned had the heart of their careers in the 70s- 80s -90s. Yall forgot Mike Holmgren and John Madden too.

There certainly was pressure then...but it is nothing like the 3-4 year max span for most coaches if they don't have a 61% win percentage like nowadays. There definitely is a health/safety aspect to the guys you are choosing to invest 5-30 million dollars in (dependent upon their tenure somewhere)

Something cut Muschamp's fire in half when he arrived here.

Could it have been the "clubhouse" contract that ensures generational wealth before you play the first game? Maybe.

But Kirk Herbstreit called him out on National TV {"lunatic"} the year prior when he was a DC at Auburn and things seemed to change.

Passion can translate into anxiety as you age.

Complete conjecture - But he looked like he started talking meds to control this which turned into metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance and triggered the weight gain.

You could tell he was still working out in the upper body, but the meds were maybe causing weight stall.

And yes, that can have a significant impact on your performance in any profession.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You do realize Andy Reid has been a head coach in the NFL for the last 21 seasons. The one time someone was dumb enough to let him go (Philadelphia) he was unemployed for about a week. From Brett Favre to Donovan McNabb to Patrick Mahomes, they all would tell you they owe a great deal of their success to Andy Reid.

Andy Reid is a great coach and would have been if he never even met Patrick Mahomes.

Yes, but he wouldn't have a Super Bowl win if he never meet Patrick Mahomes. Reid without Mahomes in the playoffs (11-13), with Mahomes (4-1). Again, I never said he was a bad coach . And again, I'm not arguing fat=bad coach (or no championship). But if you're giving more credit to Reid for the Chiefs success than PM, you're either fat or dumb.

This is an interesting thread,
but it seems like there are really not that many obese coaches around compared to society "at large". *finger guns*
It would be kind of difficult to remain fat with how much they move around and the number of hours they put in all year long. But there have definitely been some massive coaches, no doubt.

Ed Orgeron
Dabo
Nick Saban
Urban Meyer
Jimbo Fisher
Gene Chizik
Les Miles
Mack Brown
Pete Carroll
Bob Stoops

Just an observation.....

but it seems like there are really not that many obese coaches around compared to society "at large". *finger guns*
It would be kind of difficult to remain fat with how much they move around and the number of hours they put in all year long. But there have definitely been some massive coaches, no doubt.
Same reason a lot of fast-food chains and traditional restaurant chains are starting to go bankrupt....the health food craze.

James Franklin while still at Vandy.

Not to be that guy, but I remember someone put together pictures of all the coaches' wives after that comment. Umm, so let's just say he had a different definition of 'good lookin' than the rest of us 😕
Looked her up because I had no idea what she looked like. Now admittedly, I havent compared her with other coaches wives but reading your comment, I was expecting some kind of troll. I wouldnt call her a trophy wife but she is cute. Course I prefer the dark hair and skin to the blonde bimbo type...

Yes, but he wouldn't have a Super Bowl win if he never meet Patrick Mahomes. Reid without Mahomes in the playoffs (11-13), with Mahomes (4-1). Again, I never said he was a bad coach . And again, I'm not arguing fat=bad coach (or no championship). But if you're giving more credit to Reid for the Chiefs success than PM, you're either fat or dumb.

This is funny...Reid drafted Mahomes, and then crafted an offense around him. He also stocked a roster with talent to make it all work. Sure...Reid has nothing to do with the Chiefs success. Very funny.

If you wanna discount Reid's coaching ability, you'd have to argue the success he had in Philly. He's arguably the best coach in that team's history...if he's not #1, he's a close second behind Vermeil. And to take it one step further, he has a pretty impressive coaching tree. He will eventually be in the HOF.

So yeah...Reid is certainly a top notch coach, and he doesn't exactly have a 28" waist, which is the point of this thread.

Reactions: rogue cock
Looked her up because I had no idea what she looked like. Now admittedly, I havent compared her with other coaches wives but reading your comment, I was expecting some kind of troll. I wouldnt call her a trophy wife but she is cute. Course I prefer the dark hair and skin to the blonde bimbo type...

Yeah I just looked her up too, certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

But my recollection was either of a thread, blog, article - something that someone put together after he said that - of all his assistants' wives and the overall consensus was that his hiring criteria may have been a little off 😅

One of the biggest mistakes that people make who are having weight issues is that they stop taking their shirt/clothes off in sunlight due to embarrassment.

Full body, full spectrum sunlight (IR/red spectrum) coupled with grounding, real food diet and resistance training are probably the most important steps you can make to kick mitochondrial REDOX issues.

But if you're giving more credit to Reid for the Chiefs success than PM, you're either fat or dumb.

I can lose a few pounds but you can’t generate new brain cells, or any brain cells for that matter.

Andy Reid was coaching NFL games before Mahomes mom had her first period. Mahomes is a great one, but Reid made Alex Smith look good. Andy Reid will coach in the NFL until he wants to retire with or without Patrick Mahomes.

I don't really understand your reply.
I am definitely NOT saying that society is in any way healthy. Obesity is a huge epidemic that is not going away just because some people are trying to eat in a more healthy way.

Same reason a lot of fast-food chains and traditional restaurant chains are starting to go bankrupt....the health food craze.

I don't really understand your reply.
I am definitely NOT saying that society is in any way healthy. Obesity is a huge epidemic that is not going away just because some people are trying to eat in a more healthy way.
America has become more health conscious in recent years despite obesity still being a big problem. I would expect those who are more involved in athletics and younger to be more in the forefront of that trend.

Reactions: Tyrannosaurus cox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT