ADVERTISEMENT

Could Finebaum be leaving SEC network

Losing Finebaum would be a blow, whether you like him or not. He is the preeminent on-camera personality of the SEC Network. It's analogous to CBS when it lost Cronkite. No, I'm not comparing sports talk to serious world news; I'm comparing the respective places these men hold or held in their particular organizations.

Losing Finebaum would be a blow, whether you like him or not. He is the preeminent on-camera personality of the SEC Network. It's analogous to CBS when it lost Cronkite. No, I'm not comparing sports talk to serious world news; I'm comparing the respective places these men hold or held in their particular organizations.

King is correct. that said, I don't care for PF never have never will, and I am really happy for him that he gets to claim his awesome Rocky Bottom Program.

King is correct. that said, I don't care for PF never have never will, and I am really happy for him that he gets to claim his awesome Rocky Bottom Program.
It's because of guys like Finebaum that keep propping up old teams like Tennessee into the discussion when they haven't done anything in 10+ years.

Wipe out all the guys from the 80-90s era of SEC mentality and bring on fresh blood that actually gives great coverage instead of something jaded on nostalgic memories.

They still love to talk about Spurrier and what he did with Florida. You ask a new recruit what is the first thing that pops in their mind, they think South Carolina. Not Florida.

Finebaum is 100% Alabama. He is a shill for promoting them and will be until Saban retires. He is probably on Sabans payroll. He's not going to another conference channel, he knows his bread is buttered in Birmingham. He knows very little about football but is one of the great instigators of our time. Gotta give him credit for knowing who's ass to kiss.

Finebaum is 100% Alabama. He is a shill for promoting them and will be until Saban retires. He is probably on Sabans payroll. He's not going to another conference channel, he knows his bread is buttered in Birmingham. He knows very little about football but is one of the great instigators of our time. Gotta give him credit for knowing who's ass to kiss.
You are correct. But it's whose ass to kiss, not who's.:D

Reactions: king ward
I like Finebaum and i hope his show stays around. If he does leave then I would love for Bill King to get a show on secn

OMG!!! If we accomplished what Bama has and the SEC Network did not talk about us 24/7, most would be screaming that the network was dissing us.

There's nothing wrong with Finebaum's show. It's entertaining for the most part and, yes, he talks Bama a good bit, but they are the football face of the conference. And he doesn't laud Saban anymore than some on here.

Finebaum is far from a Bama homer. He graduated from UT. But he is a business homer, and knows over the last few years that Bama talk stirs the emotions of the Bama fans, and stirs the emotions of opposing fans in the SEC even more. Like him, or not, the man is a superstar at what he does. Maybe the folks at MSESPN have decided that he isn't "woke" enough for them as he doesn't spend any time pushing a leftist agenda like so many of their talking heads seem to be hired to do. As mentioned above, one could be right to predict Laura Rutledge might be slotted to take over that afternoon format is Finebaum leaves. They certainly spent enough time last fall forcing her onto his show. And that will be the death of it. Good looking gal. Eye candy. But nobody cares to hear her opinion on football, or the SEC in general. If they don't agree on a contract I don't see Finebaum going to another conference type network. See him taking his gig to Sirius XM and going it alone. And if he goes head to head against the same kind of shoe on SEC network the SEC show will tank miserably.

He's a Tennessee grad; that's just his schtick.

Finebaum alson was responsible for getting Bama on probation. He's not a homer, he's preaching who the best team is and by far it is Bama

Finebaum is far from a Bama homer. He graduated from UT. But he is a business homer, and knows over the last few years that Bama talk stirs the emotions of the Bama fans, and stirs the emotions of opposing fans in the SEC even more. Like him, or not, the man is a superstar at what he does. Maybe the folks at MSESPN have decided that he isn't "woke" enough for them as he doesn't spend any time pushing a leftist agenda like so many of their talking heads seem to be hired to do. As mentioned above, one could be right to predict Laura Rutledge might be slotted to take over that afternoon format is Finebaum leaves. They certainly spent enough time last fall forcing her onto his show. And that will be the death of it. Good looking gal. Eye candy. But nobody cares to hear her opinion on football, or the SEC in general. If they don't agree on a contract I don't see Finebaum going to another conference type network. See him taking his gig to Sirius XM and going it alone. And if he goes head to head against the same kind of shoe on SEC network the SEC show will tank miserably.

Not sure if everyone here realizes that Finebaum was an Alabama sports radio personality that only talked about SEC Sports and Alabama and Auburn most specifically before the SEC Network added him to fill airtime. Why anyone would expect anything different from him is absurd. If anything he talks less about Bama and Allbarn now that he is on the SEC Network than he did prior. He was a very popular State specific radio personality that was the biggest thing in SEC country and ESPN needed a Stephen S. Smith type blowhardto fill air when no live games were airing.

I can take PF as long as he has guests, but his callers are what drives his show so who knows if the SECN let's him walk, not a big fan of many of his callers! Ryan McGee sat in a few times a few weeks ago and the show was as good as it can get RM is really good, Tony Barnhart is pretty good too, also Tim Brando is very good, there are lots of options and by all means Rutledge is a nice addition!

Isn’t it funny that everyone is so quick to attack analogies that you have to disclaim or qualify them.

Reactions: rogue cock
Whether one likes PF is a matter of personal taste and opinion and no amount of posts to the contrary will change that. I personally don't care to watch his show, but that is just my take.
What I find incredulous is that the BIG 10 is considering bringing PF to their network in light of the fact PF has spent a good deal of his time criticizing Harbaugh and his satellite camps. Makes one wonder how both PF and Harbaugh would start that new relationship.

Whether one likes PF is a matter of personal taste and opinion and no amount of posts to the contrary will change that. I personally don't care to watch his show, but that is just my take.
What I find incredulous is that the BIG 10 is considering bringing PF to their network in light of the fact PF has spent a good deal of his time criticizing Harbaugh and his satellite camps. Makes one wonder how both PF and Harbaugh would start that new relationship.

for the love of TV ratings they can get along, let the urban meyer worship begin.

for the love of TV ratings they can get along, let the urban meyer worship begin.
Let me expand a bit.
When PF disparages Harbaugh and in general the BIG 10 on his show, that is fine for his targeted audience. Many times he will use the old cliches to describe BIG 10 teams "big and slow" etc. However, he has had a tendency to fall back on this routine even during his appearances on ESPN.
From a casual observer viewpoint it appears he has not done much research on other programs and/or conferences.
Again, for his radio and SEC show that is fine, but not so much for a national network where fans from all conferences are watching.
So the question is how much does he really know about BIG 10 teams to be able to have in depth discussions on the host network.

Let me expand a bit.
When PF disparages Harbaugh and in general the BIG 10 on his show, that is fine for his targeted audience. Many times he will use the old cliches to describe BIG 10 teams "big and slow" etc. However, he has had a tendency to fall back on this routine even during his appearances on ESPN.
From a casual observer viewpoint it appears he has not done much research on other programs and/or conferences.
Again, for his radio and SEC show that is fine, but not so much for a national network where fans from all conferences are watching.
So the question is how much does he really know about BIG 10 teams to be able to have in depth discussions on the host network.

How is PF falling into his routine during national appearances on ESPN any different from how Beano Cook use to follow his routine in the 80's and 90s about how great the Big 10, ND, and Penn State were then based solely on historical success in national polls which were biased towards the North and Midwest schools by voters like Beano himself? This isn't a phenomenon that PF introduced.

I just don’t agree. I watch Finebaum more than I should. I just do not see the kind of favoritism being stated here. It makes me wonder if anyone in his position would not get the same rap. Alabama is on a run unlike any other team has ever been on, in the modern era. It is hard not to recognize them as being superior to everyone else out there. If recognizing Bama ‘s dominance is favoritism, call me one too.

How is PF falling into his routine during national appearances on ESPN any different from how Beano Cook use to follow his routine in the 80's and 90s about how great the Big 10, ND, and Penn State were then based solely on historical success in national polls which were biased towards the North and Midwest schools by voters like Beano himself? This isn't a phenomenon that PF introduced.
I did not give PF exclusive rights to the phenomenon, but the point that you clearly missed is that he would be going from espousing the perceived shortcomings of the BIG 10 and then be asked to join the BIG10 network.

Everyone who has been listening to him since way before the SEC network was around knows he went to Tennessee and knows his wife is a doctor who went to Vanderbilt. You would also know that if you want to listen to a 4 hour radio show that, on average, 3 hours is devoted to the University of Alabama and Saban, you have found the promised land. I just don't care to listen to a show that is nearly dominated with Alabama discussion on a "national" station. When he was in Birmingham I got it. But he can't stop shilling for Bama. He was/is Mike Slive's puppet. He's great at it too. I just don't care about listening to the Tide network 3 hours a day. A few of the callers make the show entertaining though. The show just mirrors the SEC, its Alabama. Anyone else is just an afterthought.

Reactions: coolcock2001
They know he'll move the needle, whomever he p!$$e$ off.

I can take or leave PF. He occasionally has some good content, and is even fair on some occasions, but any guy who is idiotic enough to tell George Rogers (in person) that he did not deserve to win the Heisman Trophy, is a flat out turd! I won't miss him long if he leaves!

I can take or leave PF. He occasionally has some good content, and is even fair on some occasions, but any guy who is idiotic enough to tell George Rogers (in person) that he did not deserve to win the Heisman Trophy, is a flat out turd! I won't miss him long if he leaves!

Not to mention...The Asshat claimed that the SEC made a huge mistake by inviting Carolina into the Conference.
So, y'all don't like him, huh? There are legions of people who don't like him, but he doesn't care and his marketability somehow isn't diminished. He's working his persona to his advantage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT