ADVERTISEMENT

Could there really be smoke to Dabo to raiders fire?

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
For so long, none of his assistants were really pushing for a job and this year it seems Venables and Elliot were very quick to take jobs. I know Venables to Oklahoma was a good fit, but many thought going to alma mater Kansas St was the right place also. Elliot seemed to really not push to interview anywhere before but was ready to take Duke right away until Virginia came back to him. It seems he was ready to go. Match all of this with, as a big Clemson fan said to me yesterday, Dabo really didnt like NIL deals and has verbally said he didnt like where college football was going. They said they would not be surprised if he was already looking to leave due to all of it and these assistants know this.
Im not really trying to ruffle Clemson feathers, just asking a simple question about whether there is more to this than anyone wants to or is ready to admit. Throw in Radocovich (sp?) leaving as well. This could be a very big hit to Clemson football if all of it is working together.

Reactions: mannblack
Hmm, let's all follow the clues.
giphy.gif

Reactions: coolcock2001
He start losing at Clempson and there will be no job security . As Buffett says , when the tide goes out you see who is wearing swimming suits . Dabo is not .
Dabo has a very long leash at Clemson. Much longer than in the NFL. Much, much longer.

Reactions: 92Pony
Here is Dabo on college football this week. Maybe he is just tired of college football. Maybe he is at that point of his life to try something new, especially with his lieutenants gone, and NIL eliminating a advantage he once had.

The Raiders have several ex Clemson players, it would be a smart move by him, imho to go the Raiders and the NFL.

"No. College football is not in a good place for a lot of reasons," Swinney said. "There's a lot of change going on, and I think some unintended consequences with that.

"At the end of the day, we'll figure it all out as we move forward for sure," Swinney said. "There's a lot of things in college football right now that I think we'll look back four or five years from now and, and hopefully things will settle down a little bit."

In the NFL, you want a real coach. Xs and Os guy, not a cheerleader motivator. So I would say no
College is reverting back to needing an Xs and Os guy so it might be time for him to jump ship now that he's lost his competitive advantage in college through NIL.

Reactions: TAV31
He start losing at Clempson and there will be no job security . As Buffett says , when the tide goes out you see who is wearing swimming suits . Dabo is not .
We will see. Who he replaces the coordinators with will tell the tale. While I do think he's built up enough goodwill to weather a couple down years (I call 8-4 down years for them, not playing in the ACC title game, etc.), the fans and administration now expect more than that. They will turn on him if he's not winning titles.

Whether he realizes it or not, he's created the monster. Now the monster must be fed. We'll see.

this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the dude knows football. Just because he acts like an assclown as head coach doesnt mean he doesnt know how to recruit, develop players, or even call plays.

Even when he was just a WR coach, Clemson was churning out good receivers.

this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the dude knows football. Just because he acts like an assclown as head coach doesnt mean he doesnt know how to recruit, develop players, or even call plays.

Well he definitely knows how to recruit. Both players and coaches.

Reactions: uscwatson21

He obviously understands the X’s and O’s of football very well.

I don't know if he's leaving but I wish whatever happens ends their streak and they go back to being just an average team. Then I'd like to see us go on a run of our own.
Clemson, except for a couple of seasons in recent history, have been ACC Champ contenders every year hardly an average team. I doubt much of that changes as long as Dabo or a top notch coach is there. My hope is we can compete with them on the field in the near future. Tired of losing to them.

For so long, none of his assistants were really pushing for a job and this year it seems Venables and Elliot were very quick to take jobs. I know Venables to Oklahoma was a good fit, but many thought going to alma mater Kansas St was the right place also. Elliot seemed to really not push to interview anywhere before but was ready to take Duke right away until Virginia came back to him. It seems he was ready to go. Match all of this with, as a big Clemson fan said to me yesterday, Dabo really didnt like NIL deals and has verbally said he didnt like where college football was going. They said they would not be surprised if he was already looking to leave due to all of it and these assistants know this.
Im not really trying to ruffle Clemson feathers, just asking a simple question about whether there is more to this than anyone wants to or is ready to admit. Throw in Radocovich (sp?) leaving as well. This could be a very big hit to Clemson football if all of it is working together.
It has legs. Clempson is in turmoil.

this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the dude knows football.
I agree....but add that Swinney has learned a lot since he became a HC.
I think "clemsoning" got under his skin and lit a fire under him.

I also think he's brilliant in some ways....and not so much in others.

I want a strong Clemson team, and a stronger South Carolina team. The rivalry means more when both teams are playing good football.
No … No way in hades I want the Taters to have any level of success. I want them to lose every game and have us hang a foot in their behind EVERY year. I have no lost love or compassion for them at all. Think about the last few years and reevaluate your comment.

He obviously understands the X’s and O’s of football very well.

And yet the conventional wisdom 10 years back was that CU only began to excel on offense after Dabo stopped interfering with play-calling.

Also let’s remember that this football genius was selling real estate when Bowden plucked him off of the garbage pile. Couldn’t find a gig after Mike DuBose’s tenure got him canned from Bama.

i just can’t see him as an NFL coach. I don’t think he has what it takes to succeed. Kind of like the college player that’s amazing at the collegiate level but totally fizzles as a pro. Dabo is a cheerleader and nothing more.

Reactions: SouthCarolinagal
And yet the conventional wisdom 10 years back was that CU only began to excel on offense after Dabo stopped interfering with play-calling.

Also let’s remember that this football genius was selling real estate when Bowden plucked him off of the garbage pile. Couldn’t find a gig after Mike DuBose’s tenure got him canned from Bama.
He was selling real estate for the duration of the show-cause that a bunch of the ex-coaches from DuBose's tenure, he probably wanted to out wait the stink before coming out his hole. And as far as the conventional wisdom is concerned there's been a lot wrong about him and some right, truth is he knows coaching talent and sets and maintains a high standard.

Dabo is paying back what got him paid. Someone gave him a chance. Good for him. I don’t think it elevates Clemson but is a solid move to get others paid on what’s probably his death move. Kind of a Bowden type move.

I'd prefer to see Dabbo taking over the shitshow Urban leaves at Jacksonville. But he doesn't have the balls to try to coach a pro team. Or the intelligence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT