ADVERTISEMENT

Country to "hopefully" re-open on April 12th

A

anon_6poml7ajgpoqm

With the way that this virus is spreading, is it truly possible to just re-open everything or do you think we should wait longer? I'm not looking to get into a debate but just would like everyone's opinion on it.

I'll wait for the time that the doctors/researchers suggest over Trump. He appears to be willing to sacrifice lives so the economy doesn't slow too much.
I think that it is mid-May before everything gets under control, but I do hope that it is earlier. I have several friends who own restaurants and they are barely hanging on.

First of May late april is the projection on SC public Schools. Some stuff will start back/re-open before. What we call/refer to normal likely similar to this end of April timeline.

Reactions: anon_6poml7ajgpoqm
I'll wait for the time that the doctors/researchers suggest over Trump. He appears to be willing to sacrifice lives so the economy doesn't slow too much.
I think that it is mid-May before everything gets under control, but I do hope that it is earlier. I have several friends who own restaurants and they are barely hanging on.

I'm a Trump supporter, but like you I do believe that it'll be May or the end of May before things can get wrangled in with this virus. Thankfully where I work we are on an altered schedule, this week I work Tuesday and Thursday, the next I work Monday, Wednesday and Friday. However, our building is a public building and they haven't closed us off to the public. They are still coming in conducting business as usual and they gave each department a bucket of wipes and germ x. We are considered non-essential, but we are still here. I'm thankful that I'm working, but I don't think all of the measures that need to be taken are being taken right now to help combat the potential spread of the virus.

With the way that this virus is spreading, is it truly possible to just re-open everything or do you think we should wait longer? I'm not looking to get into a debate but just would like everyone's opinion on it.

That's still nearly 3 weeks, there is also a point of what is inevitable will happen so it is likely the frequency of new cases may be in decline by then, there will still be pockets where it can catch & spread where folks don't manage themselves correctly etc....

Normal? Maybe by end of the summer. If folks hang on that long and haven't lost houses, jobs, etc in the process.
Past the virus peak? I would say May at best. At least as far as SC is concerned. My best WAG is it still lingers around all summer

You are more informed than most on here. Some people think they just need to go on with business as usual.

At first, it was "flatten the curve". Now, it is "protect every American life". Mission creep.

They fail to mention that people are also dying from flu, because that is not sensational.

I think the malaria drug flattens the curve and by Easter Trump reopens the US but leaves Governors to make the calls on their states (e.g. reopening schools). In same breath there will still be hesitation to travel etc but with what I will call a partial cure people will return to their pre-corona lifestyles......

Reactions: SportsFan482
They’ve already announced most SC schools down through April. It’s fine to want to “reopen” but unless there is a breakthrough in the spread or a vaccine Easter seems highly unlikely. Just being able to treat it isn’t enough if you can’t stop the spread.

This is what I don't understand, if this virus has a 1% kill rate, then why did we as a country panic and close things down???? If the flu kills thousands a year, like Trump said, we don't close the country down because of it, why is this any different???? You can't buy TP and regular groceries right now. Life has been turned upside down for everyone.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
This is what I don't understand, if this virus has a 1% kill rate, then why did we as a country panic and close things down???? If the flu kills thousands a year, like Trump said, we don't close the country down because of it, why is this any different???? You can't buy TP and regular groceries right now. Life has been turned upside down for everyone.
No one knows what the kill rate is or the actual infection rate because we don’t have adequate testing at this point. Before it reached the US it was all about impacting the elderly but then that flattened here because we have a much younger population than some of the other countries.

Even if it is just 1% the hospitals and healthcare system in the US isn’t capable of handling even that as a mortality rate much less the numbers that would recover but still require substantial medical care.

I don't think there is no simple fix or easy fix to this pandemic. I would rather be safe than be sorry, but I think the unknown is what is making everyone uneasy.

At first, it was "flatten the curve". Now, it is "protect every American life". Mission creep.

They fail to mention that people are also dying from flu, because that is not sensational.
Watch out, mav cock gets veryyy sensitive if you suggest that something is amiss.

Do you really think the economy is going to be fixed just because someone says “we’re open”? People aren’t going to magically just resume their normal routines and if the virus turns for the worse then it’s only going to cause more chaos. If you think the market died because of lost confidence before just wait to see what happens then.

It has at least a 1% mortality rate but it is far more easily spread than flu. It also causes FAR more hospitalizations than deaths and if you let it run rampant and overwhelm hospitals you will see a mortality far above that because people who SHOULD be able to recover with normal care will not receive that care. Flu impacts about 60 million a year. Estimates are that without social distancing you can expect the cases to be well over that. 1% of 60 million is 600,000. 1% of 100 million is 1 million. The flu kills about 30,000 a year. This isn't the damn flu guys.

What leader HASN'T made decisions to sacrifice lives in favor of the economy? The military we keep posted around the world is there to protect our economic interests. Hell, during this pandemic, plenty of people have mentioned the amount of people who die daily from auto accidents. We could get rid of cars, but it would kill the economy.
Besides, do you really think Trump steps up to the microphone and tells you what he knows about medical issues? He tells you what his experts have told him.

What leader HASN'T made decisions to sacrifice lives in favor of the economy? The military we keep posted around the world is there to protect our economic interests. Hell, during this pandemic, plenty of people have mentioned the amount of people who die daily from auto accidents. We could get rid of cars, but it would kill the economy.
Besides, do you really think Trump steps up to the microphone and tells you what he knows about medical issues? He tells you what his experts have told him.

Cars save more lives than they kill.

you CLEARLY don't understand. If one more person refers to this or compares this to the Flu I will scream.

A 1% kill rate, of a 330million person country is 3.3 MILLION people. Let that sink in. Let's assume it remained at 1% (but it wouldn't) that means about 5% hospitalizations, which means 16.5 MILLION people in critical condition in the hospital, of which our country has 925,000 hospital beds.
Let's assume hospitals have ability to hold 20% more patients than they currently run, that means there are about 185,000 empty hospital beds, to take on what could be 2-6 million simultaneous patients.

So, where does the theoretical 1% kill rate go? UP!!! Italy is almost at 10%. let's say we are healthier, younger, and have more capacity to build military hospitals etc. So we hold it to 5%.

Great, now we just killed 15 million people.

The Flu's worst year I think was about 50,000 in the US.

STOP SAYING THIS IS THE FLU!!!!!!

To Trump, who i support, as the "least" snake on the hill, if he "reopens" the country, he's murdering people because hospitals are ALREADY almost full, and the floodgates will open.

My mom checks 3 boxes of the 5 worst outcome symptoms one could have as preexisting, and right now she is forbid to leave her home. I dunno for her sake, do I hope he opens the gates and the thing goes wild across america for another 5 weeks or so, killing left and right but I keep her inside, or do I hope he keeps it on wraps, but could lead to a slow 6 month creep across the country where Im likely to NOT be able to keep her under wraps that long.

AGAIN STOP CALLING THIS THE FLU, and STOP acting like 1% is small, not that it wont be MUCH MORE than that if left to run wild.

This ALL assumes it doesn't mutate again and start taking out a younger more active age group. People are sickening me with this uninformed nonsense talk.

....and by the way to his comments about how much money he DIDN'T earn by being president, its a bit selfish a comment, but probably true. Looks at all the profitable backdoor dealings the other politicians are doing WHILE in office to make a buck.

you CLEARLY don't understand. If one more person refers to this or compares this to the Flu I will scream.

A 1% kill rate, of a 330million person country is 3.3 MILLION people. Let that sink in. Let's assume it remained at 1% (but it wouldn't) that means about 5% hospitalizations, which means 16.5 MILLION people in critical condition in the hospital, of which our country has 925,000 hospital beds.
Let's assume hospitals have ability to hold 20% more patients than they currently run, that means there are about 185,000 empty hospital beds, to take on what could be 2-6 million simultaneous patients.

So, where does the theoretical 1% kill rate go? UP!!! Italy is almost at 10%. let's say we are healthier, younger, and have more capacity to build military hospitals etc. So we hold it to 5%.

To Trump, who i support, as the "least" snake on the hill, if he "reopens" the country, he's murdering people because hospitals are ALREADY almost full, and the floodgates will open.

My mom checks 3 boxes of the 5 worst outcome symptoms one could have as preexisting, and right now she is forbid to leave her home. I dunno for her sake, do I hope he opens the gates and the thing goes wild across america for another 5 weeks or so, killing left and right but I keep her inside, or do I hope he keeps it on wraps, but could lead to a slow 6 month creep across the country where Im likely to NOT be able to keep her under wraps that long.

AGAIN STOP CALLING THIS THE FLU, and STOP acting like 1% is small, not that it wont be MUCH MORE than that if left to run wild.

This ALL assumes it doesn't mutate again and start taking out a younger more active age group. People are sickening me with this uninformed nonsense talk.

....and by the way to his comments about how much money he DIDN'T earn by being president, its a bit selfish a comment, but probably true. Looks at all the profitable backdoor dealings the other politicians are doing WHILE in office to make a buck.
To begin with, I agree with many of your comments regarding the mortality and public health impacts. On the other hand, the economical impacts of protecting public health could be far worse than the virus itself. Trump is in a difficult situation with no clear answer. Ideally, we’d find ways to return to a somewhat normal lifestyle while quarantining those at risk. That’s a lot harder to do than say.

With that said, if you take aggressive measures to protect the well being of all Americans, it will almost assuredly result in the demise of the US economy. Anything beyond a few weeks of curve flattening activity can be the difference in a quick economic recovery, a massive recession/depression, and the crumbling of an empire.

Reactions: Buzzkill1
A 1% kill rate, of a 330million person country is 3.3 MILLION people. Let that sink in.

That's with a 100% infection rate. WTF? Dude...let the grown ups talk.

InsignificantMatureHapuka-size_restricted.gif

Even Fauci has acknowledged that the medical/scientific side of the “shutdown” is only one side. He stated that Trump also has to consider economic implications.

"To be fair though, a right winger probably had a gun barrel pressed against the temple of his children. That's the only reason he would give Trump the benefit of the doubt."

-Rollerdude123 (probably)

Well, he has to balance a lot of things. Like those people you know who are barely hanging on and lost jobs and unpaid mortgages.

Reactions: kidrobinski
1.2 million people die each year in automobile accidents. If only public transportation and emergency vehicles were allowed on the road, we'd all be safer. But NO ONE wants to give up their cars.
Do you really believe it would be safer to rely on public transportation?

Reactions: howard13

I don’t know. At best, a lot of things won’t open back up quickly.

a lot of my healthcare customers won’t be operating normally for months if it ended today.

I think the timeline is very optimistic.

Really would it?
I guess it is easy for you to just question the facts about automobile deaths when you can throw out "cars save lives" with no evidence that shows a net gain.
Maybe if I just finished my statement with "Trump is evil" you'd go away with a smile.

I guess it is easy for you to just question the facts about automobile deaths when you can throw out "cars save lives" with no evidence that shows a net gain.
Maybe if I just finished my statement with "Trump is evil" you'd go away with a smile.

I’m questioning your perspective, not your figures.

I’m questioning your perspective, not your figures.
That seems to be popular these days. With folks of a certain political leaning, it doesn't matter what the facts are. It only matters that you disagree with their politics.

Every single American citizen is going to get the virus??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT