ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo & Spurrier: Who is the better Head Coach?

At this point it's a slm dunk in Spurrier's favor. To be considered in the same league Dabo needs to win something.
I don't think it matters how many championships he wins. He's not really coaching football. He's managing other people who coach football. He's almost like a step between a football coach and the a/d. It's a new situation. It appears to be working out okay, but it's hard to compare the two because they aren't doing the same job.

They're alike in title alone.

Da one is a tool, a snake oil salesman, it will come back to him, SOS seems to have run out of gas, but in his prime and latter prime (5 straight over CU) was still good enough to school the dat boy

Very valid point but I can also assure you that if Jeff Scott/Tony Elliot experiment fails i.e., if Clemson offense tanks for the rest of this season and continues same trend in first few games next season then Dabo will have no problem firing both Elliot/Scott even though they are both through and through Clemson guys. A good head coach should realize his mistake sooner then later and correct it.
In all seriousness, think of the head coach as a leader. In this instance, a good leader doesn't have to fire the assistants at all. A good leader is able to motivate his/her assistants to produce. There may be a case here or there where an assistant just doesn't have capacity to do well maybe, but that falls back on the leader for selecting him to begin with. I'm a firm believer that these coaches should have incentive type pay. Do well, get paid well, production decreases, pay decreases.

Tigernet as a website is absolutely fantastic. Its full of great inside articles, news, blogs, practice reports, recruiting and everything else. However, the free forums of Tigernet is not the place to have open discussion. You have to be very pro Clemson and anti Gamecock to post there without being harassed.
So let me get this straight. You think Tigernet is absolutely fantastic. You are not pro Clemson and anti Gamecock? You do not want to be harassed by your tiger peers? So you want to have an intelligent discussion with USC fans about your own coach? A piece of the puzzle is definitely missing!

Dumbo will never win a NC, and he will never build the type of dominant program Spurrier did in his day, nor last nearly as long. At 70 Dumbo will be telling stories about his days in Clemson back in the day when they were always a National Championship contender except this that and the other...

All those dumb taters think Dabo is going to take over for Nick Saban @ Alabama and they will have to make Brent Venables head coach. Dabo must tell them Bama's AD texts him all the time.

I would say that Dabo has proven that recruiting alone cannot win championships and the HBC has proven that coaching savvy and player development alone doesn't win championships. I think if Spurrier hired Dabo as his recruiting coordinator, we'd have us a championship.
I think Dabo has a conference championship, so maybe recruiting can win a championship. This is an interesting discussion. Many here are blinded by their hatred and can't imagine accepting that Clemson is better at anything than SC. I don't think Dabo is a great coach in the x and o department, but he is a very good "CEO" and head of marketing and is great at recruiting. Spurrier is an x and o genius but he is not great at delegating or at PR and his weakness as a recruiter is well known.

Both have strengths and weaknesses. I don't know that one can be labeled "better" at this point.

At this point it's a slm dunk in Spurrier's favor. To be considered in the same league Dabo needs to win something.
I'm not sure I'd go down that road. Dabo has an ACC championship recently. Spurrier was incredible at Florida but that day has passed. I don't know if one is much better than the other right now.

I'm not sure I'd go down that road. Dabo has an ACC championship recently. Spurrier was incredible at Florida but that day has passed. I don't know if one is much better than the other right now.

Place Dabo and his Clemson teams that Spurrier beat by double digits 5 years in a row into the SEC schedule Spurrier has played and what do you think his record would be??? Clemson's win total is ALWAYS a product of the automatic wins always on the schedule and strategic placement of the tougher teams after open dates or App State games.

Do you really think the clown could go 11-2 facing a top 10 Georgia, Florida, and LSU teams consecutively on the schedule like we did in 2012?

If Dabo wins out against ND and GT in the next 2 games I'll raise an eyebrow because this will probably be the toughest 2 game stretch he has had in his head coaching career.

Reactions: SportsSuites1
jc-Dawg while agree with your assessment and think Spurrier is a has-been at this point, Dabo is approaching the area of never-has-been. And to be clear when I said win something I meant something that matters.

jc-Dawg while agree with your assessment and think Spurrier is a has-been at this point, Dabo is approaching the area of never-has-been. And to be clear when I said win something I meant something that matters.
I'm curious about how Dabo is approaching "never-has-been" status. He's 45 years old and just started his 7th full season as a head coach. He has a conference championship and a BCS win (over a coach who is something like 7-1 in the modern BCS/playoff era), and 4 consecutive 10+ win seasons. What is "something that matters" in your definition of winning things? Natty?

Doesn't winning games over ranked opponents matter? Since Dabo's 1st season in 2009, Clemson is 9-12 against ranked opponents through the 2014 season. Dabo is playing his first ranked opponent of the 2015 season this weekend. I bet the record will be 9-13 after that game.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4598844-numbers-that-matter-acc-vs-ranked-opponents-florida-state-notre-dame-boston-college-nc-state?modid=http://www.bing.com/search?q=Clemson%20record%20against%20unranked%20opponents&mid=2051&PC=VZW&a=results&&utm_referrer=http://www.bing.com/search?q=Clemson%20record%20against%20unranked%20opponents&mid=2051&PC=VZW&a=results

Doesn't winning games over ranked opponents matter? Since Dabo's 1st season in 2009, Clemson is 9-12 against ranked opponents through the 2014 season. Dabo is playing his first ranked opponent of the 2015 season this weekend. I bet the record will be 9-13 after that game.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/4598844-numbers-that-matter-acc-vs-ranked-opponents-florida-state-notre-dame-boston-college-nc-state?modid=http://www.bing.com/search?q=Clemson%20record%20against%20unranked%20opponents&mid=2051&PC=VZW&a=results&&utm_referrer=http://www.bing.com/search?q=Clemson%20record%20against%20unranked%20opponents&mid=2051&PC=VZW&a=results

It is worse than I thought. Dabo is actually 9-16 against ranked opponents and soon to be 9-17.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/fl...-dabo-swinney-wouldnt-floridas-best-interest/

2 Points. 1) Winning a SEC Eastern Div. Title is at least equal to winning an ACC Championship game. 2) The year that cu won the ACC Championship, USC beat them 34 -13.

At the present Dabo. When you look at W/L record, recruiting and being more in the national spotlight he's pulled away. . Historically overall is not close its Spurrier by miles. Spurrier is in the twilight now and its evident with our results on the field and recruiting off the field.

At the present Dabo. When you look at W/L record, recruiting and being more in the national spotlight he's pulled away. . Historically overall is not close its Spurrier by miles. Spurrier is in the twilight now and its evident with our results on the field and recruiting off the field.

That whole analysis is a crock.
NATIONAL 'spotlight' ... you couldn't FIND the wofford game on tv, the app state game recorded < 300,000 viewers and their 'spotlight' thurs game on espn drew 1.7 'viewers' vs. SC's 3,601,000 vs. unc ... and 40% of their louisville audience switched to the nfl game @ 8:30
RECRUITING sc signed 11 4-stars in '13 and 10 in '14 incl the #1 rated QB in Ga and #1 rated player at ANY POSITION from SC
clemson's beaten SC exactly ONCE in this entire decade.
supposed 'fans' keep writing this ca ca and seem to really BELIEVE it
blows my mind

Clemson is undefeated this year with wins over app state, Woffard and 1-3 Louisville team.This is the type schedule Clemson plays. You cannot compare what they do and South Carolina does because they are in totally different conference that has different types of teams. Clemson does not deserve the respect the SEC schools get.

Last edited:

So you don't think Dabo can lose 51-14 or 70-33 again or produce a 5 to 7 loss season. After watching his escape against Louisville because of the slow down in the offense minus Chad Morris, he is staring a chance of losing 3 in a row in the face. He can't score enough even though his roster is loaded with talent. His coaching makes the talent mediocre in the games they play.

That whole analysis is a crock.
NATIONAL 'spotlight' ... you couldn't FIND the wofford game on tv, the app state game recorded < 300,000 viewers and their 'spotlight' thurs game on espn drew 1.7 'viewers' vs. SC's 3,601,000 vs. unc ... and 40% of their louisville audience switched to the nfl game @ 8:30
RECRUITING sc signed 11 4-stars in '13 and 10 in '14 incl the #1 rated QB in Ga and #1 rated player at ANY POSITION from SC
clemson's beaten SC exactly ONCE in this entire decade.
supposed 'fans' keep writing this ca ca and seem to really BELIEVE it
blows my mind

Clemson's schedule, specifically the Louisville game, has only proven that a less talented but better coached Houston tean is better offensively than Clemson.

Clemson's only red zone passing touchdown this season occurred in game 1 against Wofford by Mike Davis who is not able to play because he was injured on the play.

I think it was fantastic publicity for the university as a whole and definitely helped with recruiting. Also, it was featured for Gameday against UGA in 2013. We won that game so I am not sure about the 3 hour thrashing you reference in your post.
He was talking about the FSU game, FWIW.

Wounded, the reason Dabo cannot be mentioned in the same breath as coach Spurrier or any of the other great coaches in the country is because Swinney hasn't proven anything. Yes he won an ACC championship but that in itself isn't such a great accomplishment. I remind you that Spurrier crushed Clemson that year and would have easily won the ACC crown. Dabo beat an average OSU and sub par Oaky team in the Orange Bowl that for the last decade could not match games played in the Cap 1 or Outback bowls. He beat an underachieving LSU squad six years ago. Still likes to brag about that. If he were in the SEC west he could play them every year and every other year in Baton Rouge. Don't think he would win very often home or away. Dabo has been slaughtered in several games against worthy opponents also.
Clemson wins mostly games pitted against weak out of conference or ACC foes and that is what his won /loss is built upon.
If Swinney were a viable up and comer or if being a CEO is now more important than coaching ability , he would be getting mentioned when big time job openings come up which is quite often. So far he has not.
Outside of the Clemson nation, nobody considers Dabo a legitimate head coach , more of a promoter and boy does he ever love the publicity and spotlight that he gets being a big fish in a little ACC pond.
Now that ACC schools are forced to seek stronger OOC opponents because of the playoff system (unlike the SEC where this isn't necessary) Dabo will face tasks tougher than before and these opponents will prove that the CEO theory is for the birds and may find Dabo having to seek CEO job opportunities outside of coaching.
This season has barely begun and by it's end Dabo might not seem such a great manager to you and Clemson nation.

Is Dabo a household name? Nobody could give a crap about Dabo but Clemson fans. Spurrier is known by everybody who has played, coached or watched football. I would bet people who dont give a crap about sports in general know about the HBC. He is a Legend no matter what he does from here on out. He changed football with his Florida teams. He was on the Feherty Show on the Golf Channel for goodness sakes. It would be priceless to see David Feherty's face if somebody asked him who Dabo Swinney is. The fact that you would even ask the question proves that you are an idiot. What an insult to try to even compare them... A Hall of Famer, Legend, Innovator, A coach who has won everywhere he has been except the dumpster fire which is the Washington Redskins.. vs. A coach that has only coached one place and even his own fans are not sure about him, and he was a wide receivers coach before Bowden got run out of town. I predict when yall run Dabo out of town, he will make it real ugly... The only people that would ask such a dumb question would be a Tater or a Dawg (A dawg would ask it bc Spurrier pretty much owned them when he was a Gator). Just totally stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT