ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo Swinney rags Crimson Tide, Gamecocks with Citadel jab

gamecockfan04

Aug 13, 2003
What an Ass Hat!!

As the torchbearer in the ACC for the nation's No. 1 program, Dabo Swinney takes the opportunity when he can to prop up his conference against others, notably the SEC.

Sometimes, what he says is meant to poke college football's superpower and he rarely holds back. Swinney provided a creative barb on Tuesday when asked about Georgia Tech's loss to The Citadel over the weekend.

"That's college football," Swinney said. "The Citadel was probably Alabama's toughest game last year until Georgia. I'm just telling you the truth. The Citadel beat South Carolina."

Reactions: hopefultiger19
What an Ass Hat!!

As the torchbearer in the ACC for the nation's No. 1 program, Dabo Swinney takes the opportunity when he can to prop up his conference against others, notably the SEC.

Sometimes, what he says is meant to poke college football's superpower and he rarely holds back. Swinney provided a creative barb on Tuesday when asked about Georgia Tech's loss to The Citadel over the weekend.

"That's college football," Swinney said. "The Citadel was probably Alabama's toughest game last year until Georgia. I'm just telling you the truth. The Citadel beat South Carolina."
He is a douche. A douche with huge azz ears

Yesterday 2 guys on ESPN U radio were laughing about Clemson riding the buses around to touch a rock and run down the hill. One of them said it would be funny if the first guy tripped and fell and all the others tripped over each other. It would be hilarious because Dabo is always the first down the hill. Does any other coach look like a fool sprinting in front of the team coming out?

I can't believe I'm about to say this. I loathe Clemmons and Datboy both with a hatred bordering on irrational...except it's not irrational because I consider Clemmons to be a weird purple-and-orange wearing cult. But for the life of me I don't see this as terrible trash talk. He's talking about the Citadel being good, right? Obviously, yeah, it's irritating for us to be reminded of the Citadel winning, but his point is they're good. I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting older. I find Dabo to have a profound sense of self-importance (going into—who was it?—Syracuse's lockeroom after being upset by them a couple years back?) and I find him to be basically a teenage girls with his rah-rah antics and the rant and whatnot, but I just don't get the big deal about this comment.

I don’t care what Dabo says or who Clemson is playing this week, all I’m focused on as a Gamecock fan is Missouri. Let’s take care of them and the rest of our opponents, before focusing on Dabo. It doesn’t matter that he plays a cupcake schedule, his team gets it done when it counts! He beats his rival and shows up in the playoffs every year. We’re on the outside looking in, and it’s embarrassing to be worrying about stupid stuff he’s bringing up from the past.

I can't believe I'm about to say this. I loathe Clemmons and Datboy both with a hatred bordering on irrational...except it's not irrational because I consider Clemmons to be a weird purple-and-orange wearing cult. But for the life of me I don't see this as terrible trash talk. He's talking about the Citadel being good, right? Obviously, yeah, it's irritating for us to be reminded of the Citadel winning, but his point is they're good. I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting older. I find Dabo to have a profound sense of self-importance (going into—who was it?—Syracuse's lockeroom after being upset by them a couple years back?) and I find him to be basically a teenage girls with his rah-rah antics and the rant and whatnot, but I just don't get the big deal about this comment.

My respect for Dabo will increase the moment they take that Chinese menu out of his hand where he pretends it’s a playcalling sheet. You know, the one he covers his mouth with when he speaks while the cameras are on him like someone gives a shit what he saying. We know his microphone is turned off.

Dabo is a great salesman. The ACC as a whole is just plain bad. Clemson can hold their own against anyone, but everyone else...well. Dabo is just trying to prop his team up by trying to downplay what most feel like is the dominant conference. The man knows how to pander.

This was the complete quote from the press conference on preps for UNCC. Context is everything.

Q: I take it you're not surprised to see Army almost beat Michigan and The Citadel go into Atlanta and beat Georgia Tech.

SWINNEY: "Not at all. This is college football. Citadel was probably Alabama's toughest game last year until Georgia. Citadel beat South Carolina not too long ago. That's not a shocker. Georgia State beat Tennessee. That's college football. Anything can happen especially early. Nobody knows anything about anybody at this point. We get all these expectations early in the year and you have new people. Anybody can beat anybody. This bunch can come in here and beat us. If we turn the ball over and play like crap, they can embarrass us.

This doesn’t fit the narrative of FGF but I’m glad you shared.

This was the complete quote from the press conference on preps for UNCC. Context is everything.

Q: I take it you're not surprised to see Army almost beat Michigan and The Citadel go into Atlanta and beat Georgia Tech.

SWINNEY: "Not at all. This is college football. Citadel was probably Alabama's toughest game last year until Georgia. Citadel beat South Carolina not too long ago. That's not a shocker. Georgia State beat Tennessee. That's college football. Anything can happen especially early. Nobody knows anything about anybody at this point. We get all these expectations early in the year and you have new people. Anybody can beat anybody. This bunch can come in here and beat us. If we turn the ball over and play like crap, they can embarrass us.

No. Alabama was never challenged last year in the regular season. They averaged being up 27 points at the half. Only Auburn came within three scores of them at half-time. The Citadel was tied with them at that point and the option gave them fits until the figured it out at half-time. They probably were Bama's toughest game last year (that doesn't mean best opponent, but the one they struggled against the most). And the Citadel DID beat South Carolina in 2015. But some people look for slights so they can feel offended. It screams of an inferiority complex.
BS. Bama could've put up 80 points against The Citadel. Keep in mind, Bama destroyed aTm last season, the same aTm that took Clemson to the brink ( and really got hosed). The Acc is the worst power 5 conference in football. Period.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Clemson played a weekly SEC schedule, they would NOT come out unscathed.

The SEC grind is brutal. Our cellar dwellers can thump you if you're not careful.

And if we played an EZZ schedule week in and week out? We are 0-3 against them since the tater game last season.

This board has gone to $h1&. The top thread is making fun of our rivals in the upstate who own college football right now regardless of what anyone wants to admit. As well as handling us in most sports this year. Anyone see women’s soccer recently?
No but I seen women’s bb

There's no doubt in my mind that if Clemson played a weekly SEC schedule, they would NOT come out unscathed.

The SEC grind is brutal. Our cellar dwellers can thump you if you're not careful.

Our fans don’t want to hear it but Clemson has proven they would dominate the SEC just like the ACC. I wish our fans would stop the conference garbage. Clemson could care less about the ACC and we lost to UNC. Just shut up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT