ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo won't give Bryant a title ring...

jjjpppbbb

Jun 10, 2010
That is dirty. Technically, they did not win the NC without him. He won 4 games for them last year as starter. Pro teams would have given him a ring in similar conditions. For Dabo to say "He wasn't on the team" is simply not true. It's a bad look, in my opinion. Unnecessary.

That is dirty. Technically, they did not win the NC without him. He won 4 games for them last year as starter. Pro teams would have given him a ring in similar conditions. For Dabo to say "He wasn't on the team" is simply not true. It's a bad look, in my opinion. Unnecessary.
I'm with Dabo on this. Kid was there for 1/3 of the season then walked. When he did, he left them pretty vulnerable. Remember, Lawrence got knocked out of his first start against Syracuse and Clemson nearly lost.

Obviously most here will brainlessly disagree with it simply b/c it's something Dabo's doing, but I get it. He quit the team. It's not like the NFL where a guy was traded away midseason and didn't have control over it. Bryant had the option of staying with the team and playing out the season, but he exercised his option to transfer. I don't think you reward that.

I'm with Dabo on this. Kid was there for 1/3 of the season then walked. When he did, he left them pretty vulnerable. Remember, Lawrence got knocked out of his first start against Syracuse and Clemson nearly lost.

For real. We have a lot of fans who are upset that Deebo didn't play in the bowl game but was allowed to be on the sideline. That was one game. Bryant walked away on his team when they had 11 games to go. No way he deserves a ring. He QUIT the team.

Sorry, it's the same in pro sports. A guy who gets traded mid-season doesn't necessarily get a ring from a team he's not even on during the playoffs (although in some sports, like baseball, it's an option).

Last edited:
Pure speculation on my part but I would not be at all surprised if they put it up for a team vote for players who were on the team last year.

Dabo didn't do anything wrong on this. Of course, it will be made to look wrong. Rewarding people for quitting seems to be the expectation in college ball now. It needs to stop.

agree 100%! Also Why are Gamecocks squawking about what taters get a ring? Who gives a flip? Lets get good enough to argue about who should get a Gamecock championship ring.

He doesn't deserve a ring. He played in 4 of our 15 games and then voluntarily quit the team. If this happened to Carolina I'm sure you all would agree.

I kind of see what Dabo is doing, he wants to discourage this from happening in season, so he doesn't give him a ring.

I dont think it will be a national story , and I dont think NFL is a great comparison, since they cut or trade players, not sure what a NFL team does for a player that quits on the team, which is basically what Bryant did, hard to think they send him a ring, after a player quits not related to injury and leaves the team in a lurch after a few games so to speak.

If it does start to make Clemson look bad, they will quickly create a new story and send it out to deflect, they are very good at that, but I dont think people will condemn Clemson on this. I wont complain if they do, but highly doubt it

Last edited:
He doesn't deserve a ring. He played in 4 of our 15 games and then voluntarily quit the team. If this happened to Carolina I'm sure you all would agree.

If he play a 5th game he would lose his final year of eligibility. He didn't leave the team. He red shirted.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
If he play a 5th game he would lose his final year of eligibility. He didn't leave the team. He red shirted.

He red-shirted in name only. To my understanding, he didn't attend practice or participate in any team related activities. He remained a student, but separated himself from the team. I believe most red-shirts are actively involved with the team and are ready to be called upon, i.e. Jamie Skalski, who also red-shirted last year, but still played in 4 games, including the championship game (IIRC). So Bryant doesn't deserve a ring in the same manner that an employee who leaves a job in March doesn't deserve a Christmas bonus from his former employer. JMHO.

He red-shirted in name only. To my understanding, he didn't attend practice or participate in any team related activities. He remained a student, but separated himself from the team. I believe most red-shirts are actively involved with the team and are ready to be called upon, i.e. Jamie Skalski, who also red-shirted last year, but still played in 4 games, including the championship game (IIRC). So Bryant doesn't deserve a ring in the same manner that an employee who leaves a job in March doesn't deserve a Christmas bonus from his former employer. JMHO.

called upon to do what? If he play one more game, he will lose his eligible and a chance to make it to the NFL. I guess he doesn't need that with all the money he make playing for CLEMSUX.

Spurrier quit about the same time in the season and he’s still a part of the team. At least until we start winning again.RollLaugh

Sorry, it's the same in pro sports. A guy who gets traded mid-season doesn't necessarily get a ring from a team he's not even on during the playoffs (although in some sports, like baseball, it's an option).

Not true. The nfl rule is if you play in a game you get a ring if you are traded.

Dabo is right on this call. Who can quit a job and then scream they didn't get their bonus check?

His job was a starting QB, so he was fired or layoff. If you were fired or layoff should you get severance package.

called upon to do what? If he play one more game, he will lose his eligible and a chance to make it to the NFL. I guess he doesn't need that with all the money he make playing for CLEMSUX.

Grammar aside, I'll try to interpret what you saying. I don't believe that he (in particular) would have been called upon to do anything as he'd already used up his 4 games. Other redshirts were used in 4 games at different points during the season. However, he still made the decision to separate himself from the team, and for that he should not be given a ring.

When Lawrence nearly got his head knocked off, Tiger fans went ballistic - blaming Dabo for Bryant's departure and, thus, placing Clemson's season in jeopardy, and ir was a close call, fellas. Dabo remembers.

That is dirty. For Dabo to say "He wasn't on the team" is simply not true. It's a bad look, in my opinion.

This just might be one of those times where we are best served by keeping silent. Having your adversary 'look bad', is always good.

In situations like this, people often 'remember' how things were handled, well after the fact.
I can accept, that it is none of our affair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT