ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo won't give Bryant a title ring...

Feaster and Jalen both transferred in the off-season and played in the respective championships games (therefore they get rings). KB left 4 games into the season after he found out he wouldn’t be the starter, and did not play in the championship game. I just don’t see the similarities there.

I thought Hurts and Feaster both went about it the right way. KB def did what was best for him in transferring (and I respect that), but I don’t know if quitting the team in week 4 was the right way to go about it if you want to reap the benefits of their success.

They played the entire season because they had another year. Bryant's back was against the wall and he helped your team as much as he could without using up his college eligibility. He hopes to have an NFL opportunity and riding the pine at Clemson in his final season for 11 games gave no chance of him getting drafted.

Because he won the toughest game on your schedule in week 3 last season, he deserved a ring in my opinion instead of Dabo publicizing to media he did not give him one.

...they have to protect the image of their golden goose.

Which, from a professional perspective, they are pretty damned good at when it comes to marketing and advertising their "brand"!! I mean they are damned good at publicizing themselves within a very appealing means and to a very damned specific market!!

JMHOFWIW

Later,

G

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
They played the entire season because they had another year. Bryant's back was against the wall and he helped your team as much as he could without using up his college eligibility. He hopes to have an NFL opportunity and riding the pine at Clemson in his final season for 11 games gave no chance of him getting drafted.

Because he won the toughest game on your schedule in week 3 last season, he deserved a ring in my opinion instead of Dabo publicizing to media he did not give him one.

Your perspective is valid, and I don’t disagree that he helped us when he was on the team. I just think he could have accepted the redshirt offer from Dabo and remained with the team for the season, vs making an emotional decision and leaving all together. He still could have kept his eligibility and proved his ability to lead even when things didn’t go his way. I think that would have helped his chances in getting an NFL shot.

Reactions: agantt
What I really think is that Dabo wanted to hedge his bets in the Trevor Lawrence move by having Bryant stay. The talk about Bryant being a mentor and assured a redshirt was just talk. If you don't think there would have been immense pressure for Bryant to get back out there in that Syracuse game and blow his eligibility, then you don't know football coaches. The Jalen Hurts situation was totally different. He was a true junior in eligibility and had an extra year to play with.

Reactions: Superior7
That is dirty. Technically, they did not win the NC without him. He won 4 games for them last year as starter. Pro teams would have given him a ring in similar conditions. For Dabo to say "He wasn't on the team" is simply not true. It's a bad look, in my opinion. Unnecessary.
U want dirty, look no further than r own pepsodent and jay saldi.......thank gawd for Carlen.

Your perspective is valid, and I don’t disagree that he helped us when he was on the team. I just think he could have accepted the redshirt offer from Dabo and remained with the team for the season, vs making an emotional decision and leaving all together. He still could have kept his eligibility and proved his ability to lead even when things didn’t go his way. I think that would have helped his chances in getting an NFL shot.

Clemson had made their bed with Lawrence. Bryant had a big job to do 4 games into a season. He had to find a football program that needed his skill set with an immediate job to fill. He toured and evaluated several schools that included Arkansas and Missouri. I think he made a very wise decision in his selection of Missouri. Seems like a very good fit with a mutually beneficial relationship between players, coaches, and the school. Dooley's pro style offense was very good last year and helped get Drew Locke drafted. Hope Bryant dose well and wins them all except when we play them.

Reactions: redrogers
That is dirty. Technically, they did not win the NC without him. He won 4 games for them last year as starter. Pro teams would have given him a ring in similar conditions. For Dabo to say "He wasn't on the team" is simply not true. It's a bad look, in my opinion. Unnecessary.

Tiger guy here first of all. Unsurprisingly, I disagree with you.

First of all, this is a USC board, so if Dabo HAD given KB a ring, half of you that are bitching about Dabo (AT LEAST) would be on here saying he hadn't earned it and Dabo is a p!@$$# for giving him one. I was surprised in a nice way that most on here also seem to disagree with you. SALUTE! gamecock nation!

The fact of the matter was that KB was given 3 options when Dabo spoke to him after the Georgia Tech Game:

1. He could accept the demotion and try and win his spot back and keep on helping the team. Now any reasonable person (probably including KB) knows that wasn't going to happen. TL was the better QB. BUT KB had the option to stay and play 2nd string. I don't think that was a good option for him. While I'm skeptical that he will make an NFL squad, taking option 1 would effectively kill that dream. I don't blame him at all for not doing it.

2. He could stay on the team and take a RS (he had one to burn). At the end of the season he could have transferred to Mizzou (or wherever) and been immediately elligible to play. In other words the same thing that happened except that he would have stayed on campus for the semester and remained with the team and helped out. He could have AT LEAST run the scout team.

3. He could walk away with no hard feelings, taking a default RS and transfer to Mizzou (or wherever). He chose #3, and I've never heard a coach or player say a bad word about him. Fans are gonna fan... whatever. I don't blame him either, although I do feel strongly that option #2 would have been a much smarter move. But I think he was pissed and he made the decision while he was pissed. I understand. I'll be rooting for him this year at Mizzou.

Look. Dabo did KB right. If he was looking to screw him over, all he had to do was just wait a week to make the change. That would have been 5 games and Bryant would have been trapped with no RS options and no chance to play another year. It would have been VERY easy to do. But Dabo made the right decision for KB (probably at the expense of what was best for the team) and let Bryant choose his own path.

And that's why the pro comparison doesn't hold water. If a player is traded or cut, that player had no choice in the matter of leaving his team. That's why he'd get a ring. Bryant walked away on his own and it turns out that his team REALLY needed him that very next week against Syracuse. He wasn't there for his team or his teammates.

Now if Dabo had chosen to give KB a ring. I wouldn't have complained. But I certainly understand the choice.

It's also important to note that KB already has a NC ring. He won it in 2016.

Last edited:
Jalen Hurts got a ring from Bama and he is at Oklahoma now.

Did Feaster get a ring?

They all played last season, spent more time on the bench than they wanted, and decided to transfer to play more.

Love this post. The answer of course is yes to both. BUT this is kind of an apples and oranges thing. Hurts had a year left no matter what. Feaster had a year left as well. Not the same situation at all.

Not sure on Hurts, but Feaster graduated over the Summer. I know a lot of Clemson fans are butt hurt over this, but I'm not one of them. Feaster committed to play football in return for a free education. I got his degree and as far as I'm concerned lived up to his end of the deal. IMHO, he's absolutely free to do whatever he wants and no one can say shiit to him.

I don't think Bryant deserved a ring. Would have been akin to Spurrier getting a bowl ring if the team had a dramatic turnaround and won a decent bowl game the year he left. But also understand Bryant's situation. He knew he wasn't getting that job back. Was evident, probably much earlier than they named him the starter that Lawrence was the far better QB.
As far as advancing Bryant's NFL hopes by going to Mizzou? I don't see it. Bryant is a decent QB but benefited from the wealth of talent around him at Clemson. He may get a shot at the league, but that will be about it. Could he be a third teamer, or make somebody's practice squad. Maybe. But would have to latch on to the perfect team that is desperate for QB's. Just don't see his skill set ever being relevant in the NFL.

Reactions: agantt and FJRTiger
Jalen Hurts got a ring from Bama and he is at Oklahoma now.

Did Feaster get a ring?

they all played last season, spent more time on the bench than they wanted, and decided to transfer to play more.

Hurts and Feaster remained on their team until the final whistle. They supported the team in practice drills and with leadership and support on game day. KB never set foot on the practice field or locker room after Sept 23.

Feaster and Jalen both transferred in the off-season and played in the respective championships games (therefore they get rings). KB left 4 games into the season after he found out he wouldn’t be the starter, and did not play in the championship game. I just don’t see the similarities there.

I thought Hurts and Feaster both went about it the right way. KB def did what was best for him in transferring (and I respect that), but I don’t know if quitting the team in week 4 was the right way to go about it if you want to reap the benefits of their success.
Yep, DS offered him a "coaching" role to preserve his redshirt. Then KB could have remained on the team, still practiced and worked on his game and transferred at the end of the season.

Tiger guy here first of all. Unsurprisingly, I disagree with you.

First of all, this is a USC board, so if Dabo HAD given KB a ring, half of you that are bitching about Dabo (AT LEAST) would be on here saying he hadn't earned it and Dabo is a p!@$$# for giving him one. I was surprised in a nice way that most on here also seem to disagree with you. SALUTE! gamecock nation!

The fact of the matter was that KB was given 3 options when Dabo spoke to him after the Georgia Tech Game:

1. He could accept the demotion and try and win his spot back and keep on helping the team. Now any reasonable person (probably including KB) knows that wasn't going to happen. TL was the better QB. BUT KB had the option to stay and play 2nd string. I don't think that was a good option for him. While I'm skeptical that he will make an NFL squad, taking option 1 would effectively kill that dream. I don't blame him at all for not doing it.

2. He could stay on the team and take a RS (he had one to burn). At the end of the season he could have transferred to Mizzou (or wherever) and been immediately elligible to play. In other words the same thing that happened except that he would have stayed on campus for the semester and remained with the team and helped out. He could have AT LEAST run the scout team.

3. He could walk away with no hard feelings, taking a default RS and transfer to Mizzou (or wherever). He chose #3, and I've never heard a coach or player say a bad word about him. Fans are gonna fan... whatever. I don't blame him either, although I do feel strongly that option #2 would have been a much smarter move. But I think he was pissed and he made the decision while he was pissed. I understand. I'll be rooting for him this year at Mizzou.

Look. Dabo did KB right. If he was looking to screw him over, all he had to do was just wait a week to make the change. That would have been 5 games and Bryant would have been trapped with no RS options and no chance to play another year. It would have been VERY easy to do. But Dabo made the right decision for KB (probably at the expense of what was best for the team) and let Bryant choose his own path.

And that's why the pro comparison doesn't hold water. If a player is traded or cut, that player had no choice in the matter of leaving his team. That's why he'd get a ring. Bryant walked away on his own and it turns out that his team REALLY needed him that very next week against Syracuse. He wasn't there for his team or his teammates.

Now if Dabo had chosen to give KB a ring. I wouldn't have complained. But I certainly understand the choice.

It's also important to note that KB already has a NC ring. He won it in 2016.

Before you posted all of this, you should have watched the replay of last year's Texas AM game. I don't see how any Clemson fan can proclaim Kelly Bryant wasn't there for his teammates after witnessing that game.

Kelly Bryant and his parents made the decision together to leave Clemson and it was justified because his time was up and that forced his decision.

Dabo even said in a Greenville News article by Manie Robinson, he would have been disappointed if Kelly Bryant had stayed on the team and told Dabo he didn't want to play and burn up his eligibility. By playing a single play his career was over.

Reactions: adcoop
I think he should heaved gotten a ring. He put in so much work for this team including starting the first four games. He didn't do anything to lose his job either. It's not like Lawrence outplayed him. Coaches thought they were close enough that it was worth getting the freshman experience early on in the season. I think they still win the championship if Bryant is the guy all year and Lawrence doesn't play a snap. Their defense was good enough that I probably could have played qb.

I see this as a second slap in the face to Bryant. First they told him he wasn't going to be the man even though he had earned it and now they are saying they don't value all of the hard work and effort he put into that program. Besides, it's not like it is money out of Dabo's pocket to give the kid a ring. I hope Bryant lights it up at Missouri (except against us) and then beats Clemson in the Music City bowl.

When Lawrence nearly got his head knocked off, Tiger fans went ballistic - blaming Dabo for Bryant's departure and, thus, placing Clemson's season in jeopardy, and ir was a close call, fellas. Dabo remembers.
So your theory is what? Dabo isn't giving Bryant a ring because fans were mad at him after Lawrence got knocked out of a game?

I think he should heaved gotten a ring. He put in so much work for this team including starting the first four games. He didn't do anything to lose his job either. It's not like Lawrence outplayed him. Coaches thought they were close enough that it was worth getting the freshman experience early on in the season. I think they still win the championship if Bryant is the guy all year and Lawrence doesn't play a snap. Their defense was good enough that I probably could have played qb.

I see this as a second slap in the face to Bryant. First they told him he wasn't going to be the man even though he had earned it and now they are saying they don't value all of the hard work and effort he put into that program. Besides, it's not like it is money out of Dabo's pocket to give the kid a ring. I hope Bryant lights it up at Missouri (except against us) and then beats Clemson in the Music City bowl.
How do you know Lawrence didn't outplay Bryant? Do you seriously believe Bryan to be the better QB? If Bryant had "earned" the starting job he would have kept it. Suggesting the Clemson coaches don't value Bryant's hard work and effort seems like a stretch.

How do you know Lawrence didn't outplay Bryant? Do you seriously believe Bryan to be the better QB? If Bryant had "earned" the starting job he would have kept it. Suggesting the Clemson coaches don't value Bryant's hard work and effort seems like a stretch.

Bryant played 41 plays to Lawrences 16 plays against Texas AM, Clemson's toughest opponent. Even more telling was Bryant played all the series from mid 3rd quarter until the game was won.

You don't always keep the starting job even if you earn it. Look at Tom Brady at Michigan. Or ask Bills fans about Flutie vs Johnson. I think Lawrence is the better QB and definitely has more upside but I think at the time Bryant was the better option. Look at what they did against the only real competition they faced at the beginning of the season. Bryant won the A&M game for them. If Lawrence played that whole game they probably lose. Obviously they won the championship so it worked out perfectly for them in the end.

@TaterTater If it wasn't for Bryant you guys would had lost to A&M .:p

That’s better! Good job! And you’re right. That was the only half in the four games that he outplayed Trevor, but he stepped up to help us win that game.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that he went on to quit on the team. And their are repercussions that come along with that, like not being able to take part in the successes post that decision.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that he wasn’t valuable when he was apart of the team, but him quitting made this decision pretty cut and dry.

Reactions: FJRTiger
That’s better! Good job! And you’re right. That was the only half in the four games that he outplayed Trevor, but he stepped up to help us win that game.

Doesn’t take away from the fact that he went on to quit on the team. And their are repercussions that come along with that, like not being able to take part in the successes post that decision.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that he wasn’t valuable when he was apart of the team, but him quitting made this decision pretty cut and dry.

Tater Tater it is really more like Dabo quit on him when he benched him. I don"t see how any Clemson fan that cheered for Kelly when he made those throws and ran for the TD against Texas AM could not want him to have a team ring he was a very big part of.

Dabo made his decision and announced it yesterday with a smirk on his face answering the question. It is a bad decision and bad look for Dabo and he deserves the criticism he has been getting from guys like Tim Brando and Paul Finebaum.

Bryant had no role on the team after being demoted except for being used as an emergency QB. His time was up at Clemson and the guy found himself somewhere else to play. For anyone to be saying the guy quit is a bit selfish IMO.

Reactions: yesiam#
Tater Tater it is really more like Dabo quit on him when he benched him. I don"t see how any Clemson fan that cheered for Kelly when he made those throws and ran for the TD against Texas AM could not want him to have a team ring he was a very big part of.

Dabo made his decision and announced it yesterday with a smirk on his face answering the question. It is a bad decision and bad look for Dabo and he deserves the criticism he has been getting from guys like Tim Brando and Paul Finebaum.

By that theory, you’re saying Dabo shouldn’t have played the best player, which in turn would have been quitting on his entire team. It was KB’s decision to react to his decision by leaving the team.

And they can critique all they want. As long as they are talking about Clemson in a non detrimental way, I’m fine with it. More exposure for our brand.

Bryant had no role on the team after being demoted except for being used as an emergency QB. His time was up at Clemson and the guy found himself somewhere else to play. For anyone to be saying the guy quit is a bit selfish IMO.

How would you define quit then?

By that theory, you’re saying Dabo shouldn’t have played the best player, which in turn would have been quitting on his entire team. It was KB’s decision to react to his decision by leaving the team.

And they can critique all they want. As long as they are talking about Clemson in a non detrimental way, I’m fine with it. More exposure for our brand.

No...I'm just saying give the kid a ring. He earned it in the 4 games he played, especially the Texas AM game.

This type of coverage does not help a brand. It exposes a weak, petty mindset that seems vindictive even though they won a championship.

Did Dabo let the team vote on this decision or did he just make it himself?

Last edited:
How would you define quit then?
Josh Belk quit. Kelly Bryant? No. He made a decision that had to be made if he wants to put some more film out there for NFL scouts. I don't buy the mentoring and assured Redshirt nonsense. That is coachspeak to get a player to stay.

I really don't care. It's not much of a story to me. I did read that Stephen Garcia tweeted he did not get an 11-win season ring in the season he was dismissed because he didn't play a majority of the season.

Josh Belk quit. Kelly Bryant? No. He made a decision that had to be made if he wants to put some more film out there for NFL scouts. I don't buy the mentoring and assured Redshirt nonsense. That is coachspeak to get a player to stay.
As was the "QB Competition" between TL and KB. Everyone knew the moment TL stepped on campus he was going to be named the starter, whether or not he earned it. His performance (or lack thereof) in the TAMU game simply proved it.

I really don't care. It's not much of a story to me. I did read that Stephen Garcia tweeted he did not get an 11-win season ring in the season he was dismissed because he didn't play a majority of the season.

If Stephen Garcia had won that Auburn game, I would have bought him and personally given him that 12 win SEC Championship ring.

Reactions: TheReelEss

The definition of quit is: “to leave (a place), usually permanently”. That is word for word.

To me it sounds like, by definition, they both quit...

Why can’t you buy the guy sticking around to help lead the team? Do you really think Dabo would have forced him into a game if he knew he wanted to keep his eligibility? If he were than cold, he would have waited until game 5 to make the call.

I don't think Bryant deserved a ring. Would have been akin to Spurrier getting a bowl ring if the team had a dramatic turnaround and won a decent bowl game the year he left. But also understand Bryant's situation. He knew he wasn't getting that job back. Was evident, probably much earlier than they named him the starter that Lawrence was the far better QB.
As far as advancing Bryant's NFL hopes by going to Mizzou? I don't see it. Bryant is a decent QB but benefited from the wealth of talent around him at Clemson. He may get a shot at the league, but that will be about it. Could he be a third teamer, or make somebody's practice squad. Maybe. But would have to latch on to the perfect team that is desperate for QB's. Just don't see his skill set ever being relevant in the NFL.

This is spot on. No issue with why KB left an better player showed up and he lost his starting job. I'm not crazy about how he left. Jalen Hurts last me, is a shining example of how it should be done, and yes I understand there is a difference in the eligibility that Hurts had vs. KB.

Also think your opinion of his NFL future is accurate.

Wish KB the best and hope he recovers quickly from his injury and has a great season.

The definition of quit is: “to leave (a place), usually permanently”. That is word for word.

To me it sounds like, by definition, they both quit...

Why can’t you buy the guy sticking around to help lead the team? Do you really think Dabo would have forced him into a game if he knew he wanted to keep his eligibility? If he were than cold, he would have waited until game 5 to make the call.
Yes, he would have forced him into the game and he would have been right in doing so. It is up to the player to evaluate his circumstances and make the right decision for himself. Bryant may not have made the right decision for Clemson, but he made the right decision for himself. The classy thing to do would be just to wish him well instead of placing a tag like quitter on the kid.

Yes, he would have forced him into the game and he would have been right in doing so. It is up to the player to evaluate his circumstances and make the right decision for himself. Bryant may not have made the right decision for Clemson, but he made the right decision for himself. The classy thing to do would be just to wish him well instead of placing a tag like quitter on the kid.

Man, some people are just way too soft. The dude got beat out and chose to quit. Doesn’t make him a bad person, or a quitter at life, and doesn’t mean I wish bad on him. I hope he has a great year, as I’ve said before.

But every action has consequences and when it comes to this situation, he is by definition, a quitter.

Reactions: SeeUatAU

Man, some people are just way too soft. The dude got beat out and chose to quit. Doesn’t make him a bad person, or a quitter at life, and doesn’t mean I wish bad on him. I hope he has a great year, as I’ve said before.

But every action has consequences and when it comes to this situation, he is by definition, a quitter.
So, by your extreme interpretation of the definition, every guy that transfers quits. Instead of admiring the kid for making a big boy decision, you want to throw out labels. Okay then.

Before you posted all of this, you should have watched the replay of last year's Texas AM game. I don't see how any Clemson fan can proclaim Kelly Bryant wasn't there for his teammates after witnessing that game.

Kelly Bryant and his parents made the decision together to leave Clemson and it was justified because his time was up and that forced his decision.

Dabo even said in a Greenville News article by Manie Robinson, he would have been disappointed if Kelly Bryant had stayed on the team and told Dabo he didn't want to play and burn up his eligibility. By playing a single play his career was over.

....but he wasn't there for Syracuse, WF, NCSt, FSU, Louisville, BC, Duke, SC, Pitt, ND or Alabama. I don't blame him for the decision, but you don't get an A for taking 1/2 the exams

Additionally, DS never said he would be disappointed for KB to stay on the team. He wanted him to stay and even said he would preserve his redshirt and not play him so he could transfer at the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT