ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo won't give Bryant a title ring...

who i
So, by your extreme interpretation of the definition, every guy that transfers quits. Instead of admiring the kid for making a big boy decision, you want to throw out labels. Okay then.
Yes, by any definition he quit. If you tell your boss that you're leaving the company to take another job, you have quit. Your motives for doing so (more money, better hours or benefits, etc.) doesn't alter that fact that you quit.

So, by your extreme interpretation of the definition, every guy that transfers quits. Instead of admiring the kid for making a big boy decision, you want to throw out labels. Okay then.

Yes, I would label every guy as a quitter that transfers or quits on his team half way through the season.

I’m not saying they are terrible people or a waste of life, or that I wish badly on them. But yes, when you look back on this situation, he is a quitter.

Yes, I would label every guy as a quitter that transfers or quits on his team half way through the season.

I’m not saying they are terrible people or a waste of life, or that I wish badly on them. But yes, when you look back on this situation, he is a quitter.
Who knew there was an "extreme" definition of quitting?

Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I think it's a factor that Bryant was blatantly lied to by Dabo and the Tiggers staff.
He was told in the Spring that he had an equal chance to win the starting job for the season.
The coaches had seen Lawrence in the Spring already, and anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex knew THAT was their undeniable eventual starting QB.
And don't give me the "Bryant started the first game or two" argument. The coaches KNEW that come mid-season through playoff time Lawrence had to be their QB to avoid the late season results the year before.
They lied to Bryant to keep him as an insurance policy rather than be honest and try to sell him on staying in that capacity.

Reactions: adcoop
Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I think it's a factor that Bryant was blatantly lied to by Dabo and the Tiggers staff.
He was told in the Spring that he had an equal chance to win the starting job for the season.
The coaches had seen Lawrence in the Spring already, and anyone with a functioning prefrontal cortex knew THAT was their undeniable eventual starting QB.
And don't give me the "Bryant started the first game or two" argument. The coaches KNEW that come mid-season through playoff time Lawrence had to be their QB to avoid the late season results the year before.
They lied to Bryant to keep him as an insurance policy rather than be honest and try to sell him on staying in that capacity.
Having seen both play I think Dumbo made the right decision. Have to give him a little credit for making that decision on game 4 and not 5. And Kelley made the right decision as well. Not sure why this is even a story. As for him getting a ring...I think the argument can be made on both sides. I don't ever recall KB making a big deal about it. Just the media...

"Lie" seems like such a strong accusation, particularly when you have no way to prove it. This is nothing more than a kid who thought he should be the starter being told he wouldn't be. Rather than stick and compete for the job, he chose to leave. His choice. I haven't read anyone here condemning him. Kid wants to play somewhere else, good for him. But...he doesn't get a ring. Seems pretty reasonable.

Reactions: agantt
"Lie" seems like such a strong accusation, particularly when you have no way to prove it. This is nothing more than a kid who thought he should be the starter being told he wouldn't be. Rather than stick and compete for the job, he chose to leave. His choice. I haven't read anyone here condemning him. Kid wants to play somewhere else, good for him. But...he doesn't get a ring. Seems pretty reasonable.

Some folks on here just don't understand what a good coaching decision looks like because they haven’t seen one made in their program in the last 5 or 6 years...

Cheating, lies, and conspiracy theories are all they can come up with to rationalize such foreign things.

Last edited:
Having seen both play I think Dumbo made the right decision. Have to give him a little credit for making that decision on game 4 and not 5. And Kelley made the right decision as well. Not sure why this is even a story. As for him getting a ring...I think the argument can be made on both sides. I don't ever recall KB making a big deal about it. Just the media...

The bolded part is sooo correct.

It's been a non-issue since the championship, but someone (I think a SI reporter) asked the question and Dabo made the mistake of answering it. And then professional pot stirrer Pawl decides to give it more attention. So instead of talking to KB about his upcoming season he is getting questioned about this and the same thing for Dabo.

And for those that dont know, Paul Finebaum purposely stirs the pot, his shtick is to rile up fan bases and he's made a boat load of money doing it.

Some folks on here just don't understand what a good coaching decision looks like because they haven’t seen one made in their program in the last 5 or 6 years...

Cheating, lies, and conspiracy theories are all they can come up with to rationalize such foreign things.

Reading comprehension issues?
Of course starting Lawrence was a "good coaching decision". It takes about 10 seconds of observation to realize he gave Clemmons a better chance of winning it all.
But, the coaches were not honest to Bryant in the Spring about his chances to win & keep the starting job.

Of course starting Lawrence was a "good coaching decision". It takes about 10 seconds of observation to realize he gave Clemmons a better chance of winning it all.
But, the coaches were not honest to Bryant in the Spring about his chances to win & keep the starting job.

And you are basing this off of what information?

Agree to disagree, I think the coaches behavior has been pretty consistent, same thing happened with Cole Stout and Deshaun Watson.

This is spot on. No issue with why KB left an better player showed up and he lost his starting job. I'm not crazy about how he left. Jalen Hurts last me, is a shining example of how it should be done, and yes I understand there is a difference in the eligibility that Hurts had vs. KB.

Also think your opinion of his NFL future is accurate.

Wish KB the best and hope he recovers quickly from his injury and has a great season.

Not even close. Spurrier was more like a mid season firing for incompetence. He was not undefeated and then we replaced him with Nick Saban because we thought he was a better coach.

....but he wasn't there for Syracuse, WF, NCSt, FSU, Louisville, BC, Duke, SC, Pitt, ND or Alabama. I don't blame him for the decision, but you don't get an A for taking 1/2 the exams

Additionally, DS never said he would be disappointed for KB to stay on the team. He wanted him to stay and even said he would preserve his redshirt and not play him so he could transfer at the end of the season.

In the Gville news article, Dabo said he would have been disappointed if Kelly stayed on the team and refused to go in if he was asked to play. Kelly wanted to play more than Dabo was going to play him. Their was no common ground to benefit both parties. Dabo made his business decision and Kelly made his.

BTW, Kelly is a very good QB and could start many places with time to learn the offense. He"ll be one of the best in the SEC this season. He had to get somewhere early to adjust and learn a new offense.

In the Gville news article, Dabo said he would have been disappointed if Kelly stayed on the team and refused to go in if he was asked to play. Kelly wanted to play more than Dabo was going to play him. Their was no common ground to benefit both parties. Dabo made his business decision and Kelly made his.

BTW, Kelly is a very good QB and could start many places with time to learn the offense. He"ll be one of the best in the SEC this season. He had to get somewhere early to adjust and learn a new offense.

Actually, this is what Dabo said:

"I did tell him if he wanted to go somewhere else and play next year, he was welcome to -- I would agree to not play him the rest of the year but continue to stay and be a part of it. If that's what he wanted to do, I would support him in that, but that's not what he wanted to do."

He said this too....

If he walked in here today and said, ‘Hey coach, I don’t want to play for the rest of the year unless you’ve got to have me,’ I’d say, ‘OK, if that’s what you want to do.’

“I would be disappointed in that because we need him, but I wouldn’t judge him for it.”

who i

Yes, by any definition he quit. If you tell your boss that you're leaving the company to take another job, you have quit. Your motives for doing so (more money, better hours or benefits, etc.) doesn't alter that fact that you quit.
So, by your definition, Bryant would still be a quitter if he did what you wanted and finished out the season. He still would have ultimately left. Oh, it makes perfect sense now. At the end of the day, I don't think it is about quitting at all. It's about fanbases being selfish about what they what. What is best for the kid be damned. All fanbases do it.

Reactions: tigertomreed
He said this too....

If he walked in here today and said, ‘Hey coach, I don’t want to play for the rest of the year unless you’ve got to have me,’ I’d say, ‘OK, if that’s what you want to do.’

“I would be disappointed in that because we need him, but I wouldn’t judge him for it.”

ha also said that before KB announced his intentions to transfer.

He said this after his transfer announcement:
"You just have to respect his decision, this is what he feels is best for him, even though you don't agree with it. I did tell him if he wanted to go somewhere else and play next year I would agree to not play him the rest of the year but continue to stay and be a part of it if that's what he wanted to do, but it's not what he wanted to do. He made a decision he felt was best for him, and you have to respect that and move on. He has to move on, we've got to move on and get ready to play Syracuse."

Last edited:
Reactions: TaterTater
When is the appropriate time to leave a job in an effort to better your career without the risk of being labeled a quitter?

When is the appropriate time to leave a job in an effort to better your career without the risk of being labeled a quitter?
You shouldn't be labeled a quitter, unless you or others expect the company to reward you in some way for the work that went of well after you left. Then I think it's a fair reminder that you in fact quit.

I don't know why people keep comparing this to quitting a job. Completely different scenario. Yes , Bryant quit on his team but not before his coaches quit on him (first I might add). He was still a valuable part of the team who worked hard as a leader of the program for a number of years. You would think that should mean something to the program. He also led them to the playoffs the previous year. Even if he wasn't an all world qb he still did a lot of great things and was a great bridge between Lawrence and Watson. Also, he had been saying all of the right things and hasn't trashed Clemson at all. Give the kid a ring and move on.

I don't know why people keep comparing this to quitting a job. Completely different scenario. Yes , Bryant quit on his team but not before his coaches quit on him (first I might add). He was still a valuable part of the team who worked hard as a leader of the program for a number of years. You would think that should mean something to the program. He also led them to the playoffs the previous year. Even if he wasn't an all world qb he still did a lot of great things and was a great bridge between Lawrence and Watson. Also, he had been saying all of the right things and hasn't trashed Clemson at all. Give the kid a ring and move on.
Compare it to whatever you like. When you're doing something, then stop, you've quit. I don't know why some here are struggling so much to admit the kid quit, whatever his motives were.

Reactions: GeoCocky
Compare it to whatever you like. When you're doing something, then stop, you've quit. I don't know why some here are struggling so much to admit the kid quit, whatever his motives were.
Try actually reading my whole post before responding. I specifically said that he quit in the second line. At least I now know how you earned the name slodawg.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I see. And they call you guys coots.
The only explanation I’ve heard on that one is that Coots are a type of waterfowl that doesn’t fly real well and maybe isn’t the best hunter. Kinda lame nickname. I really think people just like saying “Coot”. As far as Tater goes, eh that doesn’t bother me either. Although I understand the country bumpkin connotation.

Tater Tater - if you're looking for critical thinking, you're on the wrong board. Goodness, the only reason anybody has ever heard of Kelly Bryant is because he was surrounded by so much talent. There's no shame in Trevor Lawrence running you off, but Bryant just walked out, never communicated what was going on to the coaching staff, and whined to the Greenville News. And people think he should get a ring for playing in 4 games and walking out on his teammates?

I did hear the commentators on ESPN the other day say Dabo was being petty about some comments made about Saban or someone. They when on to say it really made Dabo really look bad and petty. Don't know what it was all about but when anyone is talking about Dabo I change the channel. LOL!

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Tater Tater it is really more like Dabo quit on him when he benched him. I don"t see how any Clemson fan that cheered for Kelly when he made those throws and ran for the TD against Texas AM could not want him to have a team ring he was a very big part of.

Dabo made his decision and announced it yesterday with a smirk on his face answering the question. It is a bad decision and bad look for Dabo and he deserves the criticism he has been getting from guys like Tim Brando and Paul Finebaum.

So let me get this straight, if a coach sits a player because his backup is better he’s quitting on the kid? That may be the most asinine comment I have ever read. It’s a shame that a coach can’t do what’s best for the team without being criticized.

KB had a number of options, each with it’s own set of consequences. If he stayed, there would have been a chance that his redshirt would have gotten burned but he would have gotten a ring. He chose to quit the team because he felt going somewhere else would be more beneficial for his future, I respect that but again there were consequences, one of which was no ring.

I’m a high school baseball coach. By your logic, if I had a pitcher who threw a great game at the start of the season against one of the best teams on our schedule and we won, was moved to my #2 pitcher because the other kid was better, gets mad and transfers to another school, we win the state championship, I owe him a ring?

So let me get this straight, if a coach sits a player because his backup is better he’s quitting on the kid? That may be the most asinine comment I have ever read. It’s a shame that a coach can’t do what’s best for the team without being criticized.

KB had a number of options, each with it’s own set of consequences. If he stayed, there would have been a chance that his redshirt would have gotten burned but he would have gotten a ring. He chose to quit the team because he felt going somewhere else would be more beneficial for his future, I respect that but again there were consequences, one of which was no ring.

I’m a high school baseball coach. By your logic, if I had a pitcher who threw a great game at the start of the season against one of the best teams on our schedule and we won, was moved to my #2 pitcher because the other kid was better, gets mad and transfers to another school, we win the state championship, I owe him a ring?

I think most QB changes are implemented after a loss or poor performance by the statter. I cannot think of another situation like this in all of the games I have ever watched or attended. It is extremely unique.

After the Texas AM game, their was not much conpetition on Clemson's schedule. Kelly Bryant could have won out through the ACC Championship game with little stress.

Dabo benched an undefeated starting QB mid season that was playing better than the guy he was replaced by in the tougher games and announced it after a simple game against Georgia Tech. To me that would be like firing an undefeated Dabo Swinney at mid season because you could get Nick Saban to coach the rest of your games.

Dabo should not have been so petty. He needs to pick better battles to broadcast in the media. This is a bad look for him just like the Ostarine investigation and suspensions.

Try actually reading my whole post before responding. I specifically said that he quit in the second line. At least I now know how you earned the name slodawg.
I did read your entire post and after your point about KB quitting, it was filled with nonsense. By your logic no coach can ever make a line up change without having "quit" on the player. Or, does that apply only to KB, who was "valuable" and "hard working"? You think those attributes might apply to about ever other player at D1? KB was hardly a leader of that team for a "number of years." He started one complete season and was exposed as one dimensional by a championship caliber defense in the playoffs. Dabo did what was best for the team and it's pretty hard to argue otherwise given the results. (Not sure if you heard, but rumor is Clemson won it all last year in pretty convincing fashion with a generational talent at QB.) If you think KB should get a ring, fine. Once you try to argue for why replacing him as starter was wrong or "quitting" on him, you've devolved into nonsense.

Reactions: FJRTiger
If I may offer a better analogy than “quitting a job”:

You’re a salesman, you’ve closed over 90% of your sales and lost out on the other one to Microsoft. Your boss tells you he’s got a younger salesman he thinks is better but needs you to close a couple of final sales first.

Then he tells you you need to close another sale, even though you know if you do, the other salesman will take over anyway and you will never be able to work for another company again.

You tell him you are moving to another company. Are you a quitter?

Reactions: yesiam#
I think most QB changes are implemented after a loss or poor performance by the statter. I cannot think of another situation like this in all of the games I have ever watched or attended. It is extremely unique.

After the Texas AM game, their was not much conpetition on Clemson's schedule. Kelly Bryant could have won out through the ACC Championship game with little stress.

Dabo benched an undefeated starting QB mid season that was playing better than the guy he was replaced by in the tougher games and announced it after a simple game against Georgia Tech. To me that would be like firing an undefeated Dabo Swinney at mid season because you could get Nick Saban to coach the rest of your games.

Dabo should not have been so petty. He needs to pick better battles to broadcast in the media. This is a bad look for him just like the Ostarine investigation and suspensions.
If you don't understand why Dabo went with Lawrence than I can't help you. Pretty much every recruiting analyst with a brain said he was the greatest prospect since Elway.

Reactions: FJRTiger
ESPN RE-reported an article and discussion from last spring on the rings given out. They "click baited" many of us, to get people fired up about the season. They did well.
Hunter Johnson and K. Bryant were told at their exit interviews last Spring. Johnson transferred and Bryant chose to stay and thought he could keep the position. But as Bryant has had to say since the Spring, he did not expect one.
Why do the taters live in our heads 24/7?
Why do I feel like I have learned more about Clemmons this Spring and Summer than I knew from living in SC for 50+ years (from time that I can remember)?
We are not dawgs or taters, we are Gamecocks!

If I may offer a better analogy than “quitting a job”:

You’re a salesman, you’ve closed over 90% of your sales and lost out on the other one to Microsoft. Your boss tells you he’s got a younger salesman he thinks is better but needs you to close a couple of final sales first.

Then he tells you you need to close another sale, even though you know if you do, the other salesman will take over anyway and you will never be able to work for another company again.

You tell him you are moving to another company. Are you a quitter?

This is an equally bad analogy to quitting a job, especially they way you positioned it.

Do you really think Dabo walked up to KB and said, “hey I’ve got a younger QB that I think is better than you, but I need you to go win a few games first”?

And then went on to say, “hey KB, I need you to get one more win, but know that when you do, the younger QB is going to take over anyway and you’ll never be able to play again”?

But non the less. If you quit a team in the middle of something, that makes you a quitter when it comes to that specific circumstance. I don’t know why the concept is so difficult for people to grasp. KB got beat out as the starter, and chose to quit the team because of it. It doesn’t make him a terrible person because he had to make the best decision for him. But every action has consequences, and being labeled a “quitter of the Clemson football team” is one of them for him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT