ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Reeves RIP

Dan Reeves was truly a great ambassador for the University of South Carolina. I know he coached in the NFL for several team. I was at the airport going on vacation one year and during my wait I got in a conversation with a gentleman and we got to talking about NFL football. He told me he was a special teams player on one of the NFL teams that Dan coached and he went to say about how much he loved and cared for the University of South Carolina. He said he truly loved "that university"

He was a more than competent coach. Elway cut the legs out from under him in Denver. I've never forgiven him for that. As NFL quarterbacks go, Elway was top-echelon spoiled brat.
You’re right about Elway and that should not have been a surprise given what Elway did to the Colts on draft night.

I liked Elway as a player but I never liked the fact that he threw Dan under the bus. Dan showed his competence leading the Atlanta Falcons to the Super Bowl…my team. I’m still convinced if Eugene Robinson didn’t go out shopping for a hooker the night before the game the Falcons may have pulled the upset.

Another thing about Dan, he wanted to be the Head Coach at Carolina, but the BOT turned him down...
I hope that’s incorrect but I would not be surprised if it were true. Dan never got the credit he deserved as a head coach mainly because of his humble demeanor.

Seems like his name should be put up somewhere in our stadium.

That was when he was an assistant with the Cowboys before the BOT hired Coach Carlen. The BOT wanted a proven coach and winner... And also I believe Dan checked back after Carlen was hired... He was my choice, but the BOT went with Bell... I never liked Bell, I felt like he stabbed Coach Carlen in the back...
Thanks. I didn't know that.

He was a more than competent coach. Elway cut the legs out from under him in Denver. I've never forgiven him for that. As NFL quarterbacks go, Elway was top-echelon spoiled brat.
Ever since Elway pretty much just pushed "Deacon Dan" out the door, I've always felt that Elway could go to Helway! Just sayin', but Elway and then coach Mike Shanahan together were why Reeves was ousted from Denver.

Dan lives in my neighborhood and I would often run into him in line at Publix. Down to earth guy and approachable to everyone. I shared remembering him breaking his leg in a game as our qb when I was a kid and he said it never really affected him as a player, only when he got older. He was a true Gamecock and I don’t understand why we didn’t use him more in recruiting and as a university ambassador. He will be truly missed in Atlanta as well.

Wow, it's not? That's crazy. That should be done in some way next year and his family invited for the event.
Yeah and I hate that a guy that lived to be 77 and graduated and played for our university did not get that recognition while alive. Heck it may not happen posthumously

A sad loss, for sure. A good coach, but from what I understand, an even better man.

Michael Vick had some very kind words about him this morning.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Was too young to remember him at Carolina, but was a big Cowboys fan when he was their halfback, what a great team with Meredeth, Hayes, Lilly, Jordan and the rest!

Dan lives in my neighborhood and I would often run into him in line at Publix. Down to earth guy and approachable to everyone. I shared remembering him breaking his leg in a game as our qb when I was a kid and he said it never really affected him as a player, only when he got older. He was a true Gamecock and I don’t understand why we didn’t use him more in recruiting and as a university ambassador. He will be truly missed in Atlanta as well.
The first Gamecock game I ever saw on television was a tough loss at N.C. State in the old Riddick Stadium. Dan Reeves played both quarterback and safety in that game. Men were men back then.

Reactions: Gaimcock
Yeah and I hate that a guy that lived to be 77 and graduated and played for our university did not get that recognition while alive. Heck it may not happen posthumously
Wow, it's not? That's crazy. That should be done in some way next year and his family invited for the event.
See here as far as Dan Reeves already being within the USC Athletics Hall of Fame...

Dan Reeves was a South Carolina quarterback from 1962-1964 when he played for head coach Marvin Bass. In 1977, Reeves was inducted into the USC Athletics Hall of Fame.

See here as far as Dan Reeves already being within the USC Athletics Hall of Fame...

Dan Reeves was a South Carolina quarterback from 1962-1964 when he played for head coach Marvin Bass. In 1977, Reeves was inducted into the USC Athletics Hall of Fame.
Yeah I know he’s in the Hall of Fame. My question is why is a USC grad who had a Hall of Fame NFL career not mentioned anywhere throughout the stadium.

I’m a huge Gamecock fan and I’m aware we have a Hall of Fame but I’ve never even been in it. Is it even open to the public?

Went to my first Gamecock football with the Boys Scouts in 1964 when we were playing Wake Forest with Brian Piccolo. Sat on the first row in the end zone and thought I was in heaven. Dan Reeves was the QB, but he injured his knee and did not get to finish the game. Gamecocks won the game 23-13. Became a Dallas Cowboy fan because Reeves was signed by them. Was a versatile RB for the Cowboys who became well known for his halfback passes. Think everybody is familiar with his history as an NFL head coach.

RIP Dan Reeves. Prayers up for you and your family.

Went to my first Gamecock football with the Boys Scouts in 1964 when we were playing Wake Forest with Brian Piccolo. Sat on the first row in the end zone and thought I was in heaven. Dan Reeves was the QB, but he injured his knee and did not get to finish the game. Gamecocks won the game 23-13. Became a Dallas Cowboy fan because Reeves was signed by them. Was a versatile RB for the Cowboys who became well known for his halfback passes. Think everybody is familiar with his history as an NFL head coach.

RIP Dan Reeves. Prayers up for you and your family.
You caught one heck of a first game!

Yeah I know he’s in the Hall of Fame. My question is why is a USC grad who had a Hall of Fame NFL career not mentioned anywhere throughout the stadium.

I’m a huge Gamecock fan and I’m aware we have a Hall of Fame but I’ve never even been in it. Is it even open to the public?
While Reeves is probably worthy of the NFL Hall of Fame, he is not in the NFL Hall of Fame. One of 2 coaches with over 200 wins not in. Marth Shottenheimer is the other.

What might keep Reeves out is the fact that he is time for most NFL losses with Jeff Fisher. I hope he gets in. But as of now, he’s not in.

While Reeves is probably worthy of the NFL Hall of Fame, he is not in the NFL Hall of Fame. One of 2 coaches with over 200 wins not in. Marth Shottenheimer is the other.

What might keep Reeves out is the fact that he is time for most NFL losses with Jeff Fisher. I hope he gets in. But as of now, he’s not in.

I stand corrected. I do think both Reeves and Shottenheimer should be in. The #1 reason both are likely out is for not winning a Super Bowl as a head coach. However they both were really good head coaches that literally were around the league forever.

I kinda see Reeves like Marv Leevy. You have to be a great coach to get your team to that many Super Bowls.

That was when he was an assistant with the Cowboys before the BOT hired Coach Carlen. The BOT wanted a proven coach and winner... And also I believe Dan checked back after Carlen was hired... He was my choice, but the BOT went with Bell... I never liked Bell, I felt like he stabbed Coach Carlen in the back...

This may be the single stupidest post I have ever read on any message board in my life. The only person who ever stabbed Carlen in the back was Carlen.

Richard Bell was a terrible choice to be head coach at Carolina. Hell, he would have been a terrible choice at Newberry or PC or Georgia Military. But he was one of the nicest, most decent Christian men who ever walked the earth. For reasons I'll never understand, Bell and all those guys, Jack Fligg, Dale Evans, Larry New, Ray Goff, etc. were completely loyal to that lousy SOB Carlen.

Let me add, I've been a Gamecock for almost half a century. I knew or know plenty of people who played for Carlen or worked in the athletic department when Carlen was here or covered him in the media. I was Dale Evans' next door neighbor for God's sake. Some of these people loved Carlen as much as I despised him. Some felt the same way I did and a tiny few were ambivalent. Not a one ever said a word about Bell, or the rest of Carlen's staff for that matter ever being remotely disloyal to him. If you have a shred of decency you'll delete this bullshit about Richard Bell

Last edited:
I've been a Carolina Panthers fan since their inception, as such I've hated the Atlanta Falcons almost as long. Despite this, Dan Reeves was the one guy associated with that team that I never had a bad word to say about him.

This has been a rough week so far, John Madden dies, Dan Reeves dies, and in non-football news, Betty White also died this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT