ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn should be our AD

jackrabbit slim

Mar 30, 2008
If we are keeping it in house and following the trend and all. At least she is a tough as nails, stone cold winner. She would not tolerate the ineptitude of our men's athletics. She would set a standard that would put us on a path to respectability.

200.gif

If we are keeping it in house and following the trend and all. At least she is a tough as nails, stone cold winner. She would not tolerate the ineptitude of our men's athletics. She would set a standard that would put us on a path to respectability.

Wow! jackrabbit, what a statement.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
At Virginia as a player - winner
US Olympic player - winner
Head coach - winner

If we are gonna hire coaches as AD's, I mean her resume easily trump's Ray's by a country mile. Are you folks above ^^^^^^^ chauvinists or something?

Furthermore, Ray has single handily cut the pecker off of our men's athletics by himself. I mean, his hiring of Muschamp and Holbrooke have set us back years and that's with SEC money FFS. Yeah, Dawn would be infinitely better.

Reactions: SweetgrassVodka
If there were an official list of bad ideas, I think this would have to be near the top. Her forte, like Tanner's, is coaching and running a successful team of athletes. The ability to do this, as we have seen with our current situation, does not mean the person will be a good AD.

No, let's don't. We have already tried the path thinking that a coach, successful at their sport, can transition to the AD role and be just as talented there. Now it would utterly be the USC thing to do, but the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
No, let's don't. We have already tried the path thinking that a coach, successful at their sport, can transition to the AD role and be just as talented there. Now it would utterly be the USC thing to do, but the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.
You're already doing that by remaining a gamecock fan and giving them money. Lol. She is easily more qualified than Ray for that job. Ray is a stone cold idiot.

Head coach - winner

If we are gonna hire coaches as AD's, I mean her resume easily trump's Ray's by a country mile. Are you folks above ^^^^^^^ chauvinists or something?
Coaches do not necessarily translate to good ADs. Coaches=leaders. ADs= business people... They are not necessarily the same thing at all.

Coaches do not necessarily translate to good ADs. Coaches=leaders. ADs= business people... They are not necessarily the same thing at all.
You are all missing the point massively. We have already established ourselves as the school that hires coaches as ADs. That precedent has been established already. I'm merely saying we ha e the wrong coach as an AD, clearly. Ray's fat ass has destroyed men's athletics at our university. The man is an idiot.

Reactions: trekcock
Here is a crazy thought. Let's find someone who is being super successful as an AD at a smaller, non-Power 5 school, offer them a typical Power 5 Salary (nothing crazy but probably 2 or 3 times what they are making)... and offer them the job. Ray would be given a job speaking and raising money for athletics.

You're already doing that by remaining a gamecock fan and giving them money. Lol. She is easily more qualified than Ray for that job. Ray is a stone cold idiot.

More qualified? She is a basketball coach. Dont ever recall her being an administrator. Ray was a baseball coach. Both successful at their respective sports. Not sure how you come to the conclusion that she is in any way more qualified. If a new AD is needed, go hire someone that you know has a clue about what they are doing.

Reactions: Cybercock
Head coach - winner

Dawn Staley is in her coaching prime, built SC from nothing, head coach of the USA team, pulling in #1 class after #1 class, finally beat UConn and ranked pre season #1. She isn't moving to AD anytime soon. Hire someone else.

I like this option in the distant future. She is definitely the best Coach we have. May be the best coach we have ever had. I know this may be debatable. She is classy and very competitive.

I think Ray’s greatest mistake was holding onto Holbrooks and letting Lee get away! Baseball program would have been in much better shape with Monty taking control after Tanner!!

Not at all. All I'm saying is if we have to have a coach as an AD, she has more credentials.
Tanner (25 seasons): 21 NCAA regionals (84%), 10 Super Regionals (40%), 6 CWS (24%), 3 CWS runner-ups (12%) , 2 National Championships (8%), 3x national coach of the year

Staley (20 seasons): 14 NCAA appearances (70%), 6 Sweet 16 appearances (30%), 3 Elite 8s (15%) 2 Final 4s (10%, 1 national championship (5%) (plus last season), 1x national coach of the year

They’ve both coached their respective national teams.

To what superior coaching credentials of Staley’s are you referring? (I assume you’re referring to coaching credentials since you reference ADs as coaches.)

There probably is relatively little correlation between success as a coach and success as an administrator; the two skill sets aren’t really related.

No more in house hires for a/d! NoOoOO thank you! Not just no but hell NO! Nothing against Dawn Staley, odds are she would be better then Ray, but Ray Tanner ruined that idea for me by being such a flop.

Last edited:
No.1; keeping it in-house is a monumental mistake, effing up the Women’s National Championship for Good and forever.
No.2: effing up All the other sports programs, (even worse than now) by dilution and confusion and in-house rivalry
No.3: The AD job is Job #1 for our Entire Sports Program. it is a Full Time Job for a top line Business Manager, NOT a part time job for a former Coach looking for a quiet, peaceful retirement honeymoon. It is a job for a coaches coach kind of person. Some one that the No.1 Coach of the year can look up to and rub shoulders with and laugh and cry with type.
Maybe even have a beer or two with. But also a guy or woman who earns and receives top bucks ( But not as much as Mussenfuss does)
I could write the rest but too tired tonight, we need the Best in the Business and the best paid. BTW,
I’m not interested. Already been there and done that in a different line

Tell me more about Dawn's Associate AD work since her credentials are superior. People forget Tanner was an Associate at NC State.

Ray was tough as nails as a baseball coach. Now we get the "aw shucks" mentality.

Dawn is awesome but that doesn't make her AD material. We made a great coach the AD and look what that has led to. Let her be the great womens b-ball coach she is. Did UT or UConn make their great womens b-ball coach AD?????

Reactions: 92Pony
Not at all. All I'm saying is if we have to have a coach as an AD, she has more credentials.
I think your premise that we HAVE to hire a coach as an AD, or have to hire someone “in-house” is flawed. The best thing to do, (and it’s worked in the past, at least better than what we currently have), is to bring in someone from the outside, who’s really good at the administrative/business aspect of the job, isn’t personally attached to any of the current staff, and who can bring a fresh perspective and an objective look at the whole picture of our Athletic Department. Make Ray a sort of "goodwill ambassador” for Carolina Athletics; I think he’d be great at that. I like Ray, but I don’t think he’s the AD we need.

Reactions: Cybercock
No. She is a great basketball coach, Ray was a great baseball coach but that didn't translate into being a great AD. No more experiments, we need to hire a proven AD who knows how to hire and fire and understands that football is the engine that pulls the whole sports train, especially if you are in the SEC.

Maybe our board/president should take the next AD search seriously, go search for at least 3 months and interview at least 30 candidates nationally, and find a truly qualified person.

This is one big reason we are in the spot we are in. The people in power not taking serious decisions seriously and doing the proper due diligence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT