ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn should use Sportscenter coverage to motivate team

sand4893

Nov 5, 2019
I’ve been watching ESPN all morning and they’ve been talking about how Sabrina Ionescu and Oregon dominated yesterday. They showed highlights of their wins and continued to praise her. They even bought up the #internationalwomensday angle. Much later in the show, they showed a whopping 2 highlights from the Gamecocks game. One was the scuffle in the second quarter, and the other was a fast break layup. That was it. I believe Ionescu is a great player but SC have been getting quality wins in dominant fashion. What’s going on with this? I can only speculate but in an attempt to not sound ignorant, I want to know if I’m missing something. I don’t know if I’m looking too much into this. Dawn Staley could easily just let her players watch ESPN all morning instead of practicing to get motivated for the tournament. Thoughts?

They did this last night also. I kept waiting for the fast break high light and it was the last one they aired. They put Baylor first with their loss and then Oregon for a longer stint. For a second I thought they were going to not show them at all. The Ducks are their go tos.

Reactions: Brace1
. Thoughts?

Dawn should use Sportscenter coverage to motivate team

No criticism intended but, I'm just one of those silly, die-hard fans who sincerely believes that Dawn Staley needs no suggestions nor advice, whatsoever, when it comes to coaching, recruiting or anything else basketball related. In fact, I'd love to sit in on one of her lectures on 'Zen and the Art of Winning Basketball.'

Last edited:
Her teams always get disrespected and pretty much left out of conversations. This team is no different with that.

Hell, look how long it took for them to receive the AP #1 ranking. The only team to have kept it for 8 consecutive weeks. All the previous teams earned it and lost it just as quickly as they got it. I guarantee the same people have been voting for Oregon and Baylor to be the top team throughout all those weeks as well. The number in parenthesis next to their name pretty much stays the same every week.

But, its all good. The team just have to stay in character and keep doing what they have been doing- win.

Look at ESPN womens page and it is article and highlight crazy for Oregon. I believe they are good but it is like they want them to win. If we both make championship game, get ready because ESPN will be all over Oregon winning and announcers pulling for them.
I do feel SEC network has been more favorable this year for our team since that one lady that used to be on the show left and is now at Georgia Tech. She ALWAYS talked in ways as though she was pulling for whoever we played. At least Stephnie Sorenson is better to listen to. Andy landers is who he is. Not my favorite and I think he tries to hard to be the funny, retired coach but I think he falls flat alot.
Anyway, I guarantee you that the bracket reveal will be 3 times the Oregon coverage to Carolina, even thought we are nations overall #1 seed and that cant be taken at this point.

I’ve been watching ESPN all morning and they’ve been talking about how Sabrina Ionescu and Oregon dominated yesterday. They showed highlights of their wins and continued to praise her. They even bought up the #internationalwomensday angle. Much later in the show, they showed a whopping 2 highlights from the Gamecocks game. One was the scuffle in the second quarter, and the other was a fast break layup. That was it. I believe Ionescu is a great player but SC have been getting quality wins in dominant fashion. What’s going on with this? I can only speculate but in an attempt to not sound ignorant, I want to know if I’m missing something. I don’t know if I’m looking too much into this. Dawn Staley could easily just let her players watch ESPN all morning instead of practicing to get motivated for the tournament. Thoughts?
This is typical of ESPN. They pick a player or a team and focus on them like no other players or teams exist.

I wouldn't worry too much about ESPN, they're always looking for an angle for a story just like the rest of the media.
What I like is Destanni Henderson's answer to the post-game question Saturday, how dangerous are the Gamecocks, we're very dangerous!

Last edited:
I personally don't think this is purposely done. Unfortunately women's basketball is generally usually reduced down to one player and maybe 1-2 teams. That player this season is Ionescu, a unique and a one of kind player on the stat line. Mix in that plus the Kobe angle, then it make sense why the media is covering them. But I like it that way, it will just be that more dramatic when we win.

I personally don't think this is purposely done. Unfortunately women's basketball is generally usually reduced down to one player and maybe 1-2 teams. That player this season is Ionescu, a unique and a one of kind player on the stat line. Mix in that plus the Kobe angle, then it make sense why the media is covering them. But I like it that way, it will just be that more dramatic when we win.
I don't get too concerned with ESPN views. I look forward to the opportunity to play Oregon as I believe our defense can slow them down and our offense can score on anyone! Who cares what any ot the talking heads think!

As a daily follower of ESPN WBB let me say a few things.

They are the only outlet that seriously covers WBB

Immediately after our game they had about 8-10 video highlights of our game and post game. The fact that Oregon has so many is more probably about it being the last game of the day in a news cycle

Yes ESPN loves Oregon! Guess what? They love the Gamecocks also! Charlie Creme was not at the PAC 12 tourney, he was at the SEC singing our praises. He had us as the top seed even before we were ranked #1. Mechelle Voepel and Graham Hays love us. ESPN announcers Peck, Antonelli, Mowins, and Catchings absolutely gush over us and Dawn when they announce games.

Quit being insecure whiny little b’s when somebody other than us gets praised for being a great team

Going unnoticed worked out well for us when we won our last national title. Everyone was raving over MSST because they knocked off UCONN. It was as though beating UCONN automatically guaranteed a win over South Carolina. We were content to remain in the shadows until time to claim the crown. The one recurring thing I have heard from the SEC coaches who has played us this year is that we are scary good. Arkansas's coach said we were the best team that he had every had to prepare for. Texas A&M basically said the same. They have said watching film doesn't do us justice. We are fast, have a deep bench and a lockdown defense.
If both teams take care of business, there is a good possibility that we will meet Oregon in the finals. Settle who's the best on the court.

Great observation — and I completely agree with you. The same thing happened in a half page article in the Wall Street Journal a couple days ago. The article was about the surge in attendance at women’s basketball games, but it focused exclusively on Ionescui and the Oregon program. It briefly mentioned South Carolina’s attendance leading program, but no specifics.

Reactions: okccock
Seems like over analyzing in my opinion. In ESPN terms, women’s basketball is like the 10th most important sport for their coverage (being generous). So why wouldn’t they gravitate towards an all-time great player like Ionescu? She’s broken several all-time records, and yet still less than 5% of sports fans even know who she is (or the fact that the Gamecocks are #1)...

Reactions: okccock
Seems like over analyzing in my opinion. In ESPN terms, women’s basketball is like the 10th most important sport for their coverage (being generous). So why wouldn’t they gravitate towards an all-time great player like Ionescu? She’s broken several all-time records, and yet still less than 5% of sports fans even know who she is (or the fact that the Gamecocks are #1)...

Women's basketball is easily the 3rd most covered college sport on ESPN behind football and men's basketball.

However, you are right that stars tend to drive coverage. How many people can name a player from UVA men's team last year? Not many. But everyone has heard of Zion.

It really is disrespect, sick of hearing how great Ionescu is and I am sure Dawn and the team are as well, nobody plays hero ball on our team we don't rely on one player and staying in zone defense the whole game like Oregon. We could have scored 100 points in 10+ games this season but we backed off and put in the subs.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
yes you are overreacting, just like a bunch of others on here do....no, the world doesn't hate us, no, there isn't a conspiracy against us....anything else you need to understand?

It really is disrespect, sick of hearing how great Ionescu is and I am sure Dawn and the team are as well, nobody plays hero ball on our team we don't rely on one player and staying in zone defense the whole game like Oregon. We could have scored 100 points in 10+ games this season but we backed off and put in the subs.

"Disrespect" is the most overused and misused word in the modern Anglo American language.

We ARE number 1.

International womens day you say?
deadpool-international-womens-day-gif-7.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT