ADVERTISEMENT

Debate the case for 8...

A playoff sucks to begin with. It should go back to the old bowl system and that's it. Sure, have it to where an SEC team can play a Big 10 or Pac 12 team in the Sugar or Rose, but that's the only thing that should be changed. College football was great before the playoff. People are trying to make it too much like the NFL. If you want to watch the NFL, that's why you have the NFL.

No one has been screwed until an undefeated conference champion is left out. That has not happened and is highly unlikely to ever happen. So any team that feels like they have been screwed should have not lost that one or two games. It was within their control.
Unless, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, And Southern Cal all go undefeated? Who gets left out? It is highly unlikely but, it could happen.

They could beat every team in the ACC except maybe Clemson. They could beat at least 1/3 of the teams in the SEC... but they would be lucky to go 4-4 in the SEC, having to play an SEC schedule.
Agreed, but they would drop a few in the ACC too over a full season, even as weak as the ACC is at the moment.

No one has been screwed until an undefeated conference champion is left out. That has not happened and is highly unlikely to ever happen. So any team that feels like they have been screwed should have not lost that one or two games. It was within their control.
^^^THIS! Be careful Expat, this may send some scurrying for their safe spaces.

And I would advocate those which only play eight conference games go to nine.

ExpatCarolinian was concerned the kids all play too much, I was just showing that a extra playoff game doesn't have to increase game numbers. I am fine with more games.

I think one-loss major conference champions who are left out in favor of those who can't even win their own conference have a legitimate gripe they are being screwed. Especially if that runnerup has loaded their schedule with schools like The Citadel, Louisiana Lafayette, Mercer, and Arkansas State.

ExpatCarolinian was concerned the kids all play too much, I was just showing that a extra playoff game doesn't have to increase game numbers. I am fine with more games.
I am fine with the status quo as far as the CFP is concerned. I WOULD love to see the SEC go to nine games.

I think if you asked the players, they'd say "Heck yeah! I want to play more!"

Yep. And they will not want the best 8. They will want to take conference champs like Pitt when they win sat
Nqvs.gif

Reactions: jonesz21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT