ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

uscjunkie36

Aug 21, 2009
I always wonder why people think just because players are a year older that will automatically make them better. This defense looked exactly the same to me. Can't cover....can't rush the passer without blitzing.....can't tackle (especially this one) and can't stop the run even though they were loading the box. I am sick of the talk every year and the motivational videos just to get that kind of crap effort.

Aaron Sterling looked good had a sack and almost had another.
..but beyond that you are right.

I always wonder why people think just because players are a year older that will automatically make them better. This defense looked exactly the same to me. Can't cover....can't rush the passer without blitzing.....can't tackle (especially this one) and can't stop the run even though they were loading the box. I am sick of the talk every year and the motivational videos just to get that kind of crap effort.

Against UNC .... Imagine what the big boys are gonna do

All things considered. They kept us in the game. They weren't good by any measure except forcing 3 field goals in the red zone. But our offense had more than enough opportunities to do work and they just didn't. I think we had 5 or 6 possessions that started on their side of the field and we only scored 20 points. Again, I'm not saying they played great because they didn't, but they did play well enough for us to win today. The offense didn't hold up their end.

The truth is we have a bunch of sissies that care more about their hair than being tough football players. U have ti run those sorts off or their sissy disease will spread….Muschamp is too concerned with being liked and their friend to be that tough on them.

It actually looked worse. Our DE’s were wayyyy to slow coming off the edge...our tackling was comically bad especially our run defense...we let a freshman QB dominate us through the air after Brown finally stopped handcuffing him w/overly conservative play-calling and the worst part is we yapped after every tackle. Pathetic.

It actually looked worse. Our DE’s were wayyyy to slow coming off the edge...our tackling was comically bad especially our run defense...we let a freshman QB dominate us through the air after Brown finally stopped handcuffing him w/overly conservative play-calling and the worst part is we yapped after every tackle. Pathetic.
Nothing worse than a DB getting up and flexing and yapping after the opposing QB made an errant throw, or a receiver that he was covering dropped the pass when the DB wasn't within 3 yards of the receiver... too much of that in our secondary.

Even though there's plenty of criticism to go around, I still don't think it's fair to put this on the defense. They did give up some yards, but they weren't giving up all that many points. Allowing 24 points might not be a top tier defensive performance, but it's not terrible either. That would probably put the defense somewhere around 30-40 nationally.

Conversely, scoring only 20 points and only picking up only 270 yards would put a team in the bottom 10 teams in the country over the course of a full season.

There are definitely certain aspects of the defensive performance that can be critiqued and need to improve, but even if the defense improves enough to be a top 25 defense, it's still very hard to win a lot of football games with an offense that is among the worst in the nation.

The defense was pathetic. UNC ran on us at will for most of the game, and then their FRESHMAN QB lit us up in the second half.

The only thing that kept this from a blowout was that UNC's OC basically took a knee on his first two redzone possessions, then when they had us at third and goal from the 3 in the second half, he decided to pass (even though there was no way in hell we would have stopped them 3 yards on two runs).

We heard all of that crap about our improved DL and all that depth. They sucked and got pushed around by a team that went 2-9 last year. We suck.

What is what South Carolina doesn't put up against opposing offenses? Thanks Alex.

Last edited:
Best way I can describe this defense AGAIN this year is it looks like we have 8 guys out there.
Can’t get off blocks and fly to the football. There’s just so much open space for offenses. Wouldn’t surprise me if Muschamp has so much crap in their heads they simply cannot play fast.

The defense was pathetic. UNC ran on us at will for most of the game, and then their FRESHMAN QB lit us up in the second half.

The only thing that kept this from a blowout was that UNC's OC basically took a knee on his first two redzone possessions, then when they had us at third and goal from the 3 in the second half, he decided to pass (even though there was no way in hell we would have stopped them 3 yards on two runs).

We heard all of that crap about our improved DL and all that depth. They sucked and got pushed around by a team that went 2-9 last year. We suck.

The defense was absolutely abysmal in the 4th quarter. I agree that some of the UNC playcalling in the redzone in the 1st half was puzzling, but the fact remains that the defense had given up 9 points and like 260 yards going into the 4th quarter. I would be ecstatic if they could manage to do that through 3 quarters of every game.

I can't defend the 98 and 95 yards drives in the 4th quarter, but I would surmise that the defense wouldn't collapse so monumentally if the offense were holding up their end of the bargain. Defenses will eventuall get tired and frustrated when the offense doesn't perform.

From a numbers standpoint the offense is the biggest problem.

We gave up over 200 yards rushing to NORTH CAROLINA ....... NORTH CAROLINA . This isn’t Jemale Holliway and Barry Switzer running the Wishbone 50 plays a game . We are an SEC team and we got bullied all over the field by UVA and North Carolina on both sides of the ball . We gave up over 400 yards of total offense to a QB who had never taken a college snap . Call it like it is . The offense was putrid but let’s don’t pretend that this defense isn’t really bad ... again .

We gave up over 200 yards rushing to NORTH CAROLINA ....... NORTH CAROLINA . This isn’t Jemale Holliway and Barry Switzer running the Wishbone 50 plays a game . We are an SEC team and we got bullied all over the field by UVA and North Carolina on both sides of the ball . We gave up over 400 yards of total offense to a QB who had never taken a college snap . Call it like it is . The offense was putrid but let’s don’t pretend that this defense isn’t really bad ... again .

We give up 200 yards rushing to everybody. We keep getting hyped about these DB's and DE's but when are we gonna get some Stanley Dody's that plug up the middle? That's the first objective of a defense. We can work on the back end later. But you ain't gonna be successful giving up 200 a game on the ground.

They gave up 6.4 yards per play. Our defense is just plain offensive. They looked exactly like they did last after we lost 15 players to injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT