ADVERTISEMENT

Destino's HR

nursegirl25

Aug 29, 2005
One thing we can't overlook is the timing of this youngster's first HR....It wasn't like we were up 10-2 in the 8th..He hit a CLUTCH 2 run bomb when the game was hanging in the balance for his first ever collegiate HR.....Against a quality pitcher as well....I'm not ready to crown us Omaha bound just yet but I feel a lot better about this team than some of our "fans" on here....

I'm glad to hee Chad getting a lot of young arms in tight games early as well....Get em ready....One thing I've always hoped (even in our N' Champ runs) wad that we had had more than 2-3 arms we could count on in the bullpen...Maybe we have that this year...

Go cocks!

Couldnt agree more. I still am a little concerned with who will be providing our offensive firepower but sounds like Martin, Destino, and Schrock will be the nucleus. If you can get another additional 2-3 guys to hit above .300 this could be a really, really good team.

AMEN!!! I like your thinking!
happy0030.r191677.gif

Agreed. Koch is someone that could blow up and give us a shot in the arm when needed. I love the fact Chad said,"He'll fight anybody..." Our dugout was subdued last year.I believe in the "rah rah" stuff. Especially in college. IMO,that IS college sport. Wynkoop may be our Sunday guy if one of our freshmen claim Friday,which could happen between Murray and Shmitt. Reagan will be a solid midweek in an ideal world. Glad to see Fiori growing and improving.
We gotta chance this year to be really good,barring injuries.Dugout energy is imperative.

Originally posted by IrmoRed:
Agreed. Koch is someone that could blow up and give us a shot in the arm when needed. I love the fact Chad said,"He'll fight anybody..." Our dugout was subdued last year.I believe in the "rah rah" stuff. Especially in college. IMO,that IS college sport. Wynkoop may be our Sunday guy if one of our freshmen claim Friday,which could happen between Murray and Shmitt. Reagan will be a solid midweek in an ideal world. Glad to see Fiori growing and improving.
We gotta chance this year to be really good,barring injuries.Dugout energy is imperative.
I believe that was Jordan Gore that Holbrook was referring to, getting in his teammates face. Good sign regardless.

This is a very good team we are fielding this season. Cannot wait to attend my first game of the year! Nothing like watching baseball in Carolina Stadium!

Destino is a stud... We were lucky he didn't get drafted away from us... He is a LHP as well! When was the last time we had a guy who could play outfield, hit like that and pitch? I mean, obviously we don't quite know how well he can hit yet, but all indications are he is going to be a superstar at the plate- according to what Holbrook has said and pundits who rated him preseason AA even thin he hadn't taken a single at bat yet...

Cannot wait to see what this team can do once we really get rolling and get some of these freshmen a little more PT.

The deep pitching staff, and the perfect fielding (so far) are signs we have a shot play for something this season.., no team goes error free for a season or anything, but the FIELDING and defense our teams played were the seemingly least talked about parts of our NC teams, but both squads were so strong up the middle of the infield... They didn't make mistakes and made AMAZING plays to turn base hits into double plays so many times.... And JBJ covering ground in center... Those squads were hard to score on because he pitching was so good, and the pitching was SO good because the leather was SO SOLID! If we get that kind of iron clad D going with this group... Well... Just like FB, defense wins championships! People talk about big HRs, and 95MPH fastballs, but the Short stop who gets the ball and flips it to second for an out when guys are on base, or the outfielder who tracks down a deep shot to the wall and turns a double/ triple into an OUT.. Well those are stats that don't make people drool, but they can turn a whole game around!

I sincerely hope we use more arms this year. Meyers doesn't typically do that though. I just don't care for that philosophy. The more depth you have the better. Omaha or bust!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't know about any quote about anyone willing to fight anyone, but I have witnessed that kind of fire in Jordan Gore. He played on my son's showcase team and was being heckled pretty badly while pitching the last few innings of a game a few years back. He must have been 16 or 17 then. He shut the other team down and then pretty much screamed at the opposing fans and did not back down. The fans, I think a team from Virginia(?) yelled back at him, he kept yelling at them, and then a couple of our dads yelled back and they ended up mumbling something and leaving. I thought it was pretty interesting for a 140lb teenager.

Also, let me just be the first to predict greatness from Collin Steagall. I have coached him and against him since he was a little kid and I have never seen such a good, pure hitter. Given enough at bats, he will produce.

I think this is a good team with a lot of younger players.... I was thinking Alex will do some pitching on the weekends, but he could be used only as a DH this year...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT