ADVERTISEMENT

Did SOS have it right?

Spurrier definitely inherited a better situation than Muschamp. That loss to Auburn in his first season was one of the most thorough beatings I've ever seen a South Carolina team get. And that's saying something. Not to mention him getting beat by Florida 56-6 and Clemson 31-14 in 2008. Not saying Muschamp is going to be better or worse than Spurrier, but so far, their first seasons have been comparable. Slight edge to Spurrier since he beat Clemson in 2006, but that was back before Clemson was elite.
I was at that game at Auburn. We were playing with our third team quarterback and facing the revenge of Kenny Irons. It was horrible.

I will say.. I don't think you should judge a coach on 'close call' losses versus ass whippings, but SOS did keep us in a lot of games we shouldn't have been in, even early on in his career.

He did take a few bad ass beatings (Auburn, Alabama in 2005 come to mind), but he kept us in some tight games with some eventual national champions and really good teams (Eventual SEC Champion UGA in 2005, #2 Auburn 2006, #4 and eventual National Champion Florida in 2006, #2 and eventual National Champion LSU in 2007, etc.).

Don't know what that means, if anything.. But we did seem to rise to the occasion and play beyond our means more often in his first few years than we have in the first few years of the Muschamp Era. Could argue SOS inherited a better situation with a deeper roster though.
I think what I find most frustrating about the Spurrier era was when we always seemed to lose 1 game a year to an opponent we shouldn't have struggled with. We should have played in probably 2 more SEC CGs.

I think what I find most frustrating about the Spurrier era was when we always seemed to lose 1 game a year to an opponent we shouldn't have struggled with. We should have played in probably 2 more SEC CGs.
Exactly. We had two losses to Tennessee and one to Auburn - at a minimum - that had they not happened, could have changed the face of USC football.

It took Spurrier 5 years to hit that golden run of 2010-2013. About the same as it took Dabo, and it was looking very bleak for Dabo for a while. You have to be patient to get to that level. Constant overhaul and turmoil will never allow you to get there. Forget about who's down, who's up blah blah. This coach, that coach. Who cares?

That said- I always enjoyed listening to the old ball coach talk to the media. He made it so fun.
Muschamp is like watching paint dry LOL
That's why I daydreamed during the last coaching search about how cool it would be if Mike Leach was talking to the media at our podium. I've moved on though. :)

He's right about making South Carolina "cool." When you're surrounded by traditional bluebloods, many of whom have superior in-state recruiting turf, you have to set the program apart. Spurrier's presence alone helped accomplish that because he was a legend. Lately, Muschamp is trying to do something similar by transitioning to an up-tempo offense and having weekly uniform changes. Rather than being traditional, it may actually help a program like USC to be trendy. I've argued many times that USC should try to be the Oregon of the SEC. Combine that style of offense and trendy uniform design with things that already make USC unique like 2001, Sandstorm, the Cockaboose railroad, the unique stadium lighting towers that make it look like a spaceship, etc. That's how you sell the truly elite recruits on USC instead of Florida, FSU, Georgia, Clemson, Bama, etc.

Meanwhile, I'll concur with BobbyB1975 that Spurrier was the best thing to happen to the Gamecock program and he is often underappreciated on this forum. He elevated the program to a level it had never seen before. He posted three-straight 11-win/top ten season, beat Bama when they were ranked #1, notched numerous wins over Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee, beat Clemson 5 years in a row, and had a #1 NFL draft pick. And, unlike Holtz, the moment he realized it was going in the wrong direction, he stepped aside and let someone else take over.

People claim he "quit" recruiting long before he quit his job, but I don't buy it. His last 3 recruiting classes were ranked 19, 16, and 16. That's not bad at all. A lot of those guys just didn't pan out.
And u see what Whammy, Deke, and jr did to them.

Clemson and UGA weren't exactly the elite programs they are now back when Spurrier was competitive with them. And 2015 against Clemson, though competitive, doesn't count for SOS because he quit before then. And Georgia beat us 52-20 that season in a game that Spurrier actually did coach.

Yes, and Muschamp moving forward will most likely be coaching against 2 top 5 teams annually for the foreseeable future..plus SC's got Alabama on the schedule next year

Yes, and Muschamp moving forward will most likely be coaching against 2 top 5 teams annually for the foreseeable future..plus SC's got Alabama on the schedule next year

Oh sweet lord .... wonder what the spread will be on that one .

I hate people talking about how Spurrier quit on his team. What Spurrier did was get old. He could not overcome the negative recruiting other coaches do because he was old. The only mistake he made was that he was honest when he was asked how long he might continue coaching. That is a sad commentary on our society that being honest could get you so much hatred.

At least he walked away when he knew he would not be able to overcome all this.

Last edited:
I hate people talking about how Spurrier quit on his team. What Spurrier did was get old. He could not overcome the negative recruiting other coaches do because he was old. The only mistake he made was that he was honest when he was asked how long he might continue coaching. That is a sad commentary on our society that being honest could get you so much hatred.

Please, he quit on his players with less than 2 months left in the season .. he is a quitter, period

Honest? He said a few more seasons... He didn't mention quitting in the middle of one of those seasons

Now the board is praising Spurrier to the highest and when he left he was hated on here. Spurrier lost some real lopsided games when he was here, although he did a lot overall.

You would help me a great deal by elaborating on that third sentence. It can be interpreted a couple of different ways.

Well, as usual this thread went in a completely different direction. The OP was about the approach to recruiting. And nothing else.

Comparing SOS's 6th year to BOOM!'s 3rd is disingenuous. After SOS had been here 5 years I told my buddy he seemed to be sullying his legendary reputation here. But since we've seen this program at a higher level, some seem to think we can just get back there without years of rebuilding.

I love Spurrier and think he moved us forward significantly. He left at the right time. It would have been nice if he could have hung on for the rest of the season (which maybe would have kept us from losing to Citadel), but hey. Spurrier was the Bobby Cox of college football. He won a ton of games and probably should have won some more titles, but I'm darn glad we had him.

I just think it's unfair to pretend that Spurrier's success in his first few years far eclipses what Muschamp has done so far with a much worse foundation than what Spurrier inherited.

Spurrier was high IQ, possessed uncanny intuition and a quirky charm. It was always entertaining to listen to him talk to himself during those press conferences. When everyone was looking one way, he was looking the other. His Achilles Heel was of course his ego, however, the positives typically outweighed the negatives.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Some posters played competitive sports and some posters just watched... I'm beginning to understand which ones played and which ones watched.

There is NO WAY someone who played sports, with through all the ups and downs, all the wins and losses.... and that person side with a QUITTER... a grown man millionaire quit on young men... the supposedly leader of the program and some give him a pass.

....Not, I.... if he'd won a National Championship at SC and quit in the MIDDLE of the season a few seasons later, he'd be nothing more than a QUITTER in my mind.

You don't QUIT!!!!......I will continue to beat this dead horse, every time someone praises Steve Spurrier for what he did at SC

Last edited:
Some posters played competitive sports and some posters just watched... I'm beginning to understand which ones played and which ones watched.

There is NO WAY someone who played sports, with through all the ups and downs, all the wins and losses.... and that person side with a QUITTER... a grown man millionaire quit on young men... the supposedly leader of the program and some give him a pass.

....Not, I.... if he'd won a National Championship at SC and quit in the MIDDLE of the season a few seasons later, he'd be nothing more than a QUITTER in my mind.

You don't QUIT!!!!......I will continue to beat this dead horse, every time someone praises Steve Spurrier for what he did at SC
So based on this, you wish he had never coached at USC?

You would help me a great deal by elaborating on that third sentence. It can be interpreted a couple of different ways.

How else are you interpreting it? That he got old and couldn't coach anymore? No I think he could coach just as well right now. Problem is high school players want to play for the same coach their entire career.

The Dabo Swinneys of the world convinced those players that Spurrier would not be here for them. It was not a lie. Our recruiting suffered and he knew his time was up. Staying longer would have only prolonged the agony.

How else are you interpreting it? That he got old and couldn't coach anymore? No I think he could coach just as well right now. Problem is high school players want to play for the same coach their entire career.

The Dabo Swinneys of the world convinced those players that Spurrier would not be here for them. It was not a lie. Our recruiting suffered and he knew his time was up. Staying longer would have only prolonged the agony.
I didn't know if you were saying he had hit the wall or that his age was being used against him on the recruiting trail to the detriment of the program. The latter was true for awhile before things went South, probably from the time he first came here. I think either one of those things would be too simplistic. Spurrier was never one to lead out in recruiting like Muschamp does. He went where Junior told him he was needed. What happened is that he lost his best coaches/recruiters, and when 2014 came along, we had not replaced the talent we'd had before - or the coaches. And Spurrier never had the recruiting program in place that Muschamp has now. He just didn't have enough gas left to climb the mountain again.

Reactions: myrtlecock

I don't really believe it was all about recruiting. I think changes in the staff had more to do with it than anything. He start delegating responsibilities to his assistants and they were incompetent. He made a mistake promoting Ward to DC and he made another huge mistake in hiring Deke Adams. After the Texas A&M massacre Spurrier seemed as surprised as us with how bad the defense was. Ward was reporting that the defense was going to be better than it had been in the past and it was far from it. Players on defense weren't developing under the defensive staff and when Clowney left, we were without any quality DEs. We had no pass rush whatsoever.

Reactions: 1SGgamecock
I’ll akways remember his first words in that press conference...
“Let’s get one thing straight! I’m resigning, I’m not retiring”.
Kind of hit me the wrong way. But either way the hard earned success USC had finally achieved was removed pretty quickly. Sad.

I’ll akways remember his first words in that press conference...
“Let’s get one thing straight! I’m resigning, I’m not retiring”.
Kind of hit me the wrong way. But either way the hard earned success USC had finally achieved was removed pretty quickly. Sad.

Someone with some balls should have then asked him, 'Coach, are you in the market now for a different HC position?'

Reactions: Judson1

Oh well, children will be children.

I didn't know if you were saying he had hit the wall or that his age was being used against him on the recruiting trail to the detriment of the program. The latter was true for awhile before things went South, probably from the time he first came here. I think either one of those things would be too simplistic. Spurrier was never one to lead out in recruiting like Muschamp does. He went where Junior told him he was needed. What happened is that he lost his best coaches/recruiters, and when 2014 came along, we had not replaced the talent we'd had before - or the coaches. And Spurrier never had the recruiting program in place that Muschamp has now. He just didn't have enough gas left to climb the mountain again.

Agree. That's pretty much what I was saying.

Reactions: king ward

People who have actually coached sports for a length of time, or have close friends who have been in the profession, will readily understand what I'm about to explain here. Those folks who see sports only from a former player's perspective can never really understand the incredible amount of mental stress a coach deals with 24/7. Burnout is a fact of life in coaching, from middle school to the professional ranks. If a man pours all of his mental, emotional and physical energy into his job, eventually he loses the desire to continue. The fire has burned down to an ember..... thus we have burnout. This is true in every sport, not just football. As to "someone who played sports", what about the college and NFL players over the years who "quit" during the preseason or even the regular season because they didn't want to subject themselves to the physical and mental grind of so many previous years? Should Spurrier have gone through the motions for another year or two with no passion, heart or desire for the job? If I am coaching a college football team and my star QB has suddenly lost all desire to practice and play anymore, should I still start him because I never believe in anyone quitting? Hardly, I'd wish him well for his future endeavors and move forward. To a lot of us on here, it took more courage for Spurrier to admit he was done, whenever it was, rather than continue like a zombie going through the motions with no real desire to continue.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
People who have actually coached sports for a length of time, or have close friends who have been in the profession, will readily understand what I'm about to explain here. Those folks who see sports only from a former player's perspective can never really understand the incredible amount of mental stress a coach deals with 24/7. Burnout is a fact of life in coaching, from middle school to the professional ranks. If a man pours all of his mental, emotional and physical energy into his job, eventually he loses the desire to continue. The fire has burned down to an ember..... thus we have burnout. This is true in every sport, not just football. As to "someone who played sports", what about the college and NFL players over the years who "quit" during the preseason or even the regular season because they didn't want to subject themselves to the physical and mental grind of so many previous years? Should Spurrier have gone through the motions for another year or two with no passion, heart or desire for the job? If I am coaching a college football team and my star QB has suddenly lost all desire to practice and play anymore, should I still start him because I never believe in anyone quitting? Hardly, I'd wish him well for his future endeavors and move forward. To a lot of us on here, it took more courage for Spurrier to admit he was done, whenever it was, rather than continue like a zombie going through the motions with no real desire to continue.
I think that really all people wanted out of him was not another year or two but a few more games - or alternatively, a few less games.

I think that really all people wanted out of him was not another year or two but a few more games - or alternatively, a few less games.

Definitely a few less games, since he tried to retire after the previous season, but was talked out of it by several people.

Reactions: king ward

I'll be short... NO not "a year or two" as you state..How about 6 remaining games in the season, ..6 weeks.......is that to much to ask...

Courage... That is BS...he quit because his ego couldnt take losing so he bolted on his players

He's a QUITTER

I'll be short... NO not "a year or two" as you state..How about 6 remaining games in the season, ..6 weeks.......is that to much to ask...

Courage... That is BS...he quit because his ego couldnt take losing so he bolted on his players

He's a QUITTER
.... and I'll be even more brief! Have you ever coached any sport, at any level?

Definitely a few less games, since he tried to retire after the previous season, but was talked out of it by several people.
That was unfortunate. But those who think he should have stayed the course in 2015 have the better of the argument, in my opinion. I don't hate him for doing what he did. He did too much for us for me to ever adopt such a stance. But he made a mistake.

Our recruiting suffered because he hired a bunch of also-rans to take the place of some damned good coaches and recruiters....had nothing to do with his age. They couldn't evaluate, couldn't recruit, and couldn't coach 'em up, period.

Our recruiting suffered because he hired a bunch of also-rans to take the place of some damned good coaches and recruiters....had nothing to do with his age. They couldn't evaluate, couldn't recruit, and couldn't coach 'em up, period.

Damn! This ^^^^ is a GOOD post! It really sums up the reasons behind the Post-SOS fiasco.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT