ADVERTISEMENT

Did Teflon Dabo cross the line...again? (link)

Titleist*

Apr 9, 2001
If you watched the recent ACC championship game, you witnessed an all out attack (maybe even an assualt) by a narcissistic coach on a 20 year old punter. Dabo Swinney repeatedly berated Andy Teasdale in an out-of-control tirade. Despite this "leader's" temper tantrum, there was little, if any, outrage from the television commentators, sports media, or fans. But, because they won the game, Swinney's abusive attack was simply swept under the rug. In fact, I bet Swinney even laughed it off as "coaching".

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article48808445.html

This is not the first time Swinney has used his position of power to belittle, demean, or bully in order to get his way. A little over three years ago, Swinney was stopped for speeding, going 63 mph in a 35 mph zone. He repeatedly ignored the officer's commands, and even played the "do you know who I am" card. Any other citizen likely would have been arrested for disobeying an officer. A few days later, the officer was fired by the Pickens County police department. Clearly, the influence and power of the head coach and the university led to the officer's termination.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...on-tigers-coach-dabo-swinney-traffic-citation

Reactions: sandlapper59
#FrankMartinMuch ?

Your own fans couldn't bring their kids and sit within earshot of him....and complained to the AD till he was reprimanded.

Pot meet kettle.

Reactions: dcollie
I don't know what Dabo said to the kid. The only issue I had with the situation was what he said to the reporter at halftime (although there was probaby no point in going back after he'd walked off). No need to restate what everyone saw. I would fully expect our coaches to have lit into him if he'd done that during one of our games.

I don't really have a problem with what Dabo did. This country has become full of a bunch of pansies and catering to every and anybody that thinks they deserve to be happy or should be allowed to do something that aint right.

The punter screwed up and might could have cost them the game. He didn't but he deserved to be yelled at. Its called football....you screw up, you get yelled at by your coach. I don't believe in cussing and using profanity but to ask the punter "what were you thinking" and to tell him how he could have cost us the game, etc. is fair play. I would hope one of our coaches would do the same thing.

Yall are making something out of nothing IMO.

meh... I agree with yeah_yeah. OP is just looking for something to biitch about. Wonder what your own coach would have done to a punter who did that? No doubt pat him on the back and tell him not to do it again (BOOM). Seriously though, Dabo should have gotten all in this kid's grill for a dumbass play like that. He shouldn't have gone back and continued yelling though... that was over the top, and probably should have mentioned it abstractly with the reporter rather than calling the punter out.

I notice that the OP also "forgot" to mention that the police officer was a Carolina fan and after the stop immediately went onto social media and bragged to fellow fans that he'd just given Dabo a ticket. Which was the reason he was fired btw. Now I'm not completely excusing Dabo...He definitely didn't look good to me in the police video (should have stayed in the car and kept his mouth shut). BUT if a cop stopped me for speeding and then bragged all about it, I might go out of my way to help him lose his job as well.

Last edited:
meh... I agree with yeah_yeah. OP is just looking for something to biitch about. Wonder what your own coach would have done to a punter who did that? No doubt pat him on the back and tell him not to do it again (BOOM). Seriously though, Dabo should have gotten all in this kid's grill for a dumbass play like that. He shouldn't have gone back and continued yelling though... that was over the top, and probably should have mentioned it abstractly with the reporter rather than calling the punter out.
He did it to ensure everyone knew it wasn't a called play. This was WAY over the top and had nothing to do with coaching the punter. I can't prove it but I believe it.

Reactions: BigTomE
[This was WAY over the top and had nothing to do with coaching the punter. I can't prove it but I believe it.[/QUOTE]

Um...the punter didn't do it again....the coaching worked , so.....

Reactions: PAWrocka
Mike Golic lit him up on Mike & Mike on ESPN radio about the same thing. Good point Golic made about Dabo being a bully is that Dabo just shrugged it off and did nothing when Desean Watson at the end of the first half, clearly went against orders and did not clock the ball at the goal line but instead tried to sneak it in on his own (even the other Clemson guys on the field were like WTF?). That should have been grounds for an ass chewing but because it wasn't, given the expendable punter vs. the franchise QB Dabo takes the moment to vent his championship game anxiety on that punter.

[This was WAY over the top and had nothing to do with coaching the punter. I can't prove it but I believe it.

Um...the punter didn't do it again....the coaching worked , so.....[/QUOTE]
That's a pretty stupid argument, but okay. Even if I'm wrong, it's still a stupid argument. Do you want to discuss the merits of your argument, or do you just want to stop now?

#FrankMartinMuch ?

Your own fans couldn't bring their kids and sit within earshot of him....and complained to the AD till he was reprimanded.

Pot meet kettle.
Last time I checked, Frank Martin wasn't holding dunking booth tryouts for baptisms after practice. The point is Frank doesn't pretend to be something he's not. Dabo Swinney is a fraud, pure and simple. He states how "Christian" he is, yet acts in a manner not befitting a Christian. Big difference, Skippy.

I don't really have a problem with what Dabo did. This country has become full of a bunch of pansies and catering to every and anybody that thinks they deserve to be happy or should be allowed to do something that aint right.

The punter screwed up and might could have cost them the game. He didn't but he deserved to be yelled at. Its called football....you screw up, you get yelled at by your coach. I don't believe in cussing and using profanity but to ask the punter "what were you thinking" and to tell him how he could have cost us the game, etc. is fair play. I would hope one of our coaches would do the same thing.

I'm not sure I totally agree with the "its football" argument. Yes, sports above the recreation level are more intense, and yelling can be a part of the coach/player dynamic. Yelling to a player who is on the field so that you will be heard? Great, go ahead. Yelling at a player who made a foolish decision or didn't follow orders? Okay, too. But going back 2 more times to yell at your player? No. That isn't coaching. That's taking our your frustration and anger on your athlete (but there are some exceptions to this.) I coach football and basketball, nothing like D-1 college sports, but at the high school level. A few kids, and I do mean very few, respond well to mini-tirades, and perhaps even need them to fully get their attention. But, this sort of thing is entirely dependent upon the player/coach relationship. If you have a great relationship, it can be a viable tool. If not, you'll alienate your kids in a heartbeat.

Still, this is college and coaching is a form of teaching. Teacher's will quickly correct a kid, and even give them an ear full, when their actions deserve it. But if a teacher continued to get in a kids face, yelling about the same mistake 2 or 3 times....

#FrankMartinMuch ?

Pot meet kettle.
That doesn't make what Dabo did right.Also, I believe Frank was suspended for a game.No such action taken by Clemson AD.

I notice that the OP also "forgot" to mention that the police officer was a Carolina fan and after the stop immediately went onto social media and bragged to fellow fans that he'd just given Dabo a ticket. Which was the reason he was fired btw. Now I'm not completely excusing Dabo...He definitely didn't look good to me in the police video (should have stayed in the car and kept his mouth shut). BUT if a cop stopped me for speeding and then bragged all about it, I might go out of my way to help him lose his job as well.

Really? Link? Total BS unless you have a link.

I've had my ass chewed far worse for doing far less back in the day when I played. Coaches used to jerk your ass up by your face mask for a false start in practice. I'm talkin about Practice, man. PRACTICE!

Reactions: bcaldw01
Everyone who has played a team sport knows that the coach is like God. That is why puny coaches can tounglash a hulking football player. Coach has the keys to PT, playing time, and that makes him invulnerable. That is why the kicker stood there and absorbed a tirade that would get Dumbo broken in half in other circumstances. Taking advantage of that like Dumbo did makes him like a kid who hides behind his mothers skirts. Worse performance of the year and excuses that "it is just football" don't wash. I'd pay to see a lineman give him what he deserves.

The punter screwed up and might could have cost them the game. He didn't but he deserved to be yelled at. Its called football....you screw up, you get yelled at by your coach. I don't believe in cussing and using profanity but to ask the punter "what were you thinking" and to tell him how he could have cost us the game, etc. is fair play. I would hope one of our coaches would do the same thing. ( i dont think we'll have to worry about that)

I agree. I would also note that the puFFie writer of that piece is a TarHole professor. (Hey, maybe Dabo was actually teaching).

Sorry, I've seen many coaches and played for some that were rougher than that.

Woody Hayes would have decapitated the punter.

I played QB in an option offense, and I made plenty of read mistakes. I got chewed out plenty for those mistakes in practice and in the film room, but I don't remember getting chewed out during a game. Until now, I never thought about it. I guess maybe my coach didn't want to rattle me during a game?

They still yell in the military too but they wont for much longer once the PC police go after them hard too.

Coaching used to be like being in the military but now we have raised a bunch of sissy, no discipline, get your feelings hurt too much and go kill a bunch of people type of society.

Reactions: kell9941
I am more bothered by the old video of Dabo and his brother ( which shows up close to the youtube link of the OP ) acting like jerks to the policeman that pulls him over for speeding. I know its an old topic, but I am sure he is just as big a jerk now especially after he got the policeman fired. If I am every pulled again, I am going refuse to stay in my car and lecture the patrolman and see how that works out for me.

I did hold my right foot and jump over my leg with my left leg as part of a field sobriety test for the Casey SC police one time while an undergraduate at USC. I had not been drinking, but my eyes were red from working as a life guard at the Harbison Pool. It is a wonder I was not found dead in the River.

Lou used to get in players' faces and curse them like a dog on the sideline during game, and the media would always spin it was " Lou giving him some fatherly advise " or some such garbage. I know people that could overhear first hand and they all say Lou was very profane - like many coaches. Coach K comes to mind.

We all saw what coaching with "emotion" is like. Dabo should have chewed the kid out, just not for 10 consecutive minutes going back and forth to him. And I saw Watson totally ignore Dabo, just like Kyle Parker did a couple of times in his career with no on-field butt chewing. None of this surprised me, because Dabo wears his emotions on his sleeves........not too good for coaches to do. This was the flip side of all his happy dancing, ranting, raving and screaming in the microphone when his team wins (not to mention bear-hugging female reporters). Dabo didn't embarrass that punter too much, but he definitely embarrassed himself and Clemson football. He also gave the nation a glimpse of his real personality, and most people were surprised to see him come unhinged like that. I certainly wasn't.

You knew what blabo was about by how quick he reinstated Done smoked it

Re-looked at the Dabo ticket. Wish the Spring Valley resource officer had been the officer. Dabo AND his retired police officer brother would have been skidding across the lot.

Reactions: Titleist*
It was all for the camera, end of story. He doesn't have the nads to do that to one of his star players so it was an opportunity to put on a show for the television audience.

I'm not sure I totally agree with the "its football" argument. Yes, sports above the recreation level are more intense, and yelling can be a part of the coach/player dynamic. Yelling to a player who is on the field so that you will be heard? Great, go ahead. Yelling at a player who made a foolish decision or didn't follow orders? Okay, too. But going back 2 more times to yell at your player? No. That isn't coaching. That's taking our your frustration and anger on your athlete (but there are some exceptions to this.) I coach football and basketball, nothing like D-1 college sports, but at the high school level. A few kids, and I do mean very few, respond well to mini-tirades, and perhaps even need them to fully get their attention. But, this sort of thing is entirely dependent upon the player/coach relationship. If you have a great relationship, it can be a viable tool. If not, you'll alienate your kids in a heartbeat.

Still, this is college and coaching is a form of teaching. Teacher's will quickly correct a kid, and even give them an ear full, when their actions deserve it. But if a teacher continued to get in a kids face, yelling about the same mistake 2 or 3 times....

You-know-nothing-Jon-Snow-GIF.gif

Reactions: Jon Snow
There was no coaching during that moment. He went mental and then goes out of his way to blame the kid so that the media understand it wasn't his mistake. He shouldn't be putting his hands on the kid jersey either when he came to the sidelines. I wonder if he treats his own kids like that.

#FrankMartinMuch ?

Pot meet kettle.
I've had my ass chewed far worse for doing far less back in the day when I played. Coaches used to jerk your ass up by your face mask for a false start in practice. I'm talkin about Practice, man. PRACTICE!
you got jerked up? Hell all they did to us was add 5 timed 100 yard gassers per screwup at the end of practice. And that was after your other running was finished. I'd rather have the 10 second butt chewing.lol

What Dablow did to that punter was not different than what Woody Hayes did to get fired. He put his hands on a player and basically put this kid and his family in an extremely uncomfortable situation on national TV. If I were the father of that kid, I would have met Dablow the dancer at the locker room door when the game was over. Win or no win...scholarship or no scholarship. What a piece of shitz.

Will be cool watching you guys' response after a year of BOOM! Bet you see "tough love" a little differently. I've spent 25 years in the military and can honestly say that a lack of discipline creates problems not too much discipline...Respectfully.

Hitler said the same thing

Natural, you are kidding right? I don't know very many people who have played, who at some point didn't get grabbed by the facemask or jersey by their coach. I also don't know very many coaches who have not grabbed a facemask or jersey at some point to ensure they had their players attention. That is a huge difference from punching a player and then continuing to go at him. Let alone another team's player. Dabo handled the media poorly, and should not have kept after him. The player deserved a huge butt chewing as he walked off. I'll guarantee you, if we were in the SEC championship and our punter the same thing we'd be highly ticked. We'd probably be even more so if he walked by the staff and they just patted him on the back on the way by.

Ba. You think that was an ass chewing? We have Will Muschamp. Marine Corp Drill Instructors have told him to tone it down a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT