ADVERTISEMENT

Do we miss Hyman more than we realize or want to admit?

robertfootball

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2006
SC
we sure won a lot more in football and baseball when he was around, not to mention his strong push to upgrade the facilities which we are seeing now. The guy was a jerk in some ways and not the most popular guy with a lot of fans, but wouldn't you put up with that to have all those wins to enjoy again? We made a mistake hiring Tanner I believe. I've never wanted to admit it because I like Ray, but it's becoming obvious. Hyman was smart and look at Texas A&M since he got there.

I'm not saying I want him back but maybe an AD with his skills to run an athletic program.

we sure won a lot more in football and baseball when he was around, not to mention his strong push to upgrade the facilities which we are seeing now. The guy was a jerk in some ways and not the most popular guy with a lot of fans, but wouldn't you put up with that to have all those wins to enjoy again? We made a mistake hiring Tanner I believe. I've never wanted to admit it because I like Ray, but it's becoming obvious. Hyman was smart and look at Texas A&M since he got there.
While Hyman was not perfect in any way and was somewhat abrupt, he was smart and understood the business of athletics.

Now, I feel we have a nice guy who is way over his head running an athletics department.

This is rich. Every one and his brother here said Ray deserved the job simply because he wanted it. He deserved it they said because of building the baseball program. Now, gee, we need someone who might be more qualified...whatever.

Even great AD's aren't perfect. Hyman's major errors were hiring Horn and the mishandling of the 'Garcia Incident' One was major - hiring Horn, but then again,basketball was a distant third in ranking the 3 majors at Carolina and Garcia should have had the maturity and good sense to back off from a confrontation with Mrs. Hyman - if he had simply walked out of the seminar and told Hyman that the instructor got too personal, then the whole mess might have been avoided.

Any how, jmo but Ray is going to have to 'grow up' in a hurry re: the Spurrier thing as well as the baseball team's ills - if they continue.

Hyman was and is one of the premier athletic administrators in the country. We were fortunate to have him while we did and him leaving was in no way a plus. Tanner might prove to be a real comer in the profession, but even that won't detract from Hyman - if it happens.

Hyman did a very good job! Ignore the imbreads on this forum that will tell you otherwise!

Hyman was about Hyman. HELL NO !
True, I don't think he loved USC the way Ray does but this is business and "love" don't win games. I want to win ball games. I want to own Clemson again. We did that when that dirtbag Hyman was here. Bring me another man like him!

Not even a little bit.

This is rich. Every one and his brother here said Ray deserved the job simply because he wanted it. He deserved it they said because of building the baseball program. Now, gee, we need someone who might be more qualified...whatever.
I didn't. I liked Hyman and was disappointed that he left.

I didn't. I liked Hyman and was disappointed that he left.
Ok maybe not everyone. But it was an overwhelming majority.

At the time I thought that having Ray leave coaching for AD might in fact weaken two positions. Seems to me that simply because a guy wants a job doesn't mean he should get it. Nor was he owed it because of his titles. Now to start saying he's not up to snuff kind of gets next to me a little bit.

Best years in football were with a professional AD. Other 100 years were with a good ole boy. Now adding to the 100 years portfolio again. Want to see Ray on the diamond again. Super guy, not an AD.

So you are putting the success of the baseball team and football team on the AD? WOW

That is beyond crazy. Spurrier hires and fires the coaches. He has 100% carte blanche control of the program.

Eric Hyman had jack shit to do with Ray Tanner winning the titles. The construction of the new stadium was started and funded under Mike McGee - who by the way hired Spurrier.

The one thing Hyman did was hire Dawn Staley. I will give him credit where it is due for that.

Uh.....I said professional AD's, not Hyman. That would be two total. Not Bob Marcum, King Dixon, etc.

I will put the tolerance for losing on the current AD, and any other AD. I like Ray, hope he works out. Hope no coach ever has to be fired, that would mean we are winning. SOS cannot be fired, he is bullet proof. We would look like crap if we did fire him. The bottom line is the football program is regressing.

So you are putting the success of the baseball team and football team on the AD? WOW

That is beyond crazy. Spurrier hires and fires the coaches. He has 100% carte blanche control of the program.

Eric Hyman had jack shit to do with Ray Tanner winning the titles. The construction of the new stadium was started and funded under Mike McGee - who by the way hired Spurrier.

The one thing Hyman did was hire Dawn Staley. I will give him credit where it is due for that.

Agree. He also hired Frank which I'm still hoping turns out to be a great hire too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT