ADVERTISEMENT

Does a double-bye in the SEC tourney help us?

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
Makes greater the chance of getting bounced in our first game.

Or does a 4th place finish in the SEC get us a spot in the Dance?

Fire away at this logic.

Makes greater the chance of getting bounced in our first game.

Or does a 4th place finish in the SEC get us a spot in the Dance?

Fire away at this logic.
A bit of a conundrum if you heard Lunardi last night. He remarked that, while we needed to win to get in, getting the double-bye could hurt us if we don't get at least 1 win at the SEC Tournament.

Reactions: 92Pony

Can anybody explain the Q1 and Q2 wins thingy ?

Quadrant one wins are those home games vs. teams RPI ranked 1-30, neutral games vs. 1-50, and away games vs. 1–75. For example, a home win against a top 30 team would qualify as a quadrant one victory.

A Quadrant 2 win are those at Home against the RPI 31–75, neutral 51–100, and away victories over the RPI 76–135

Reactions: GandBinNC

Can anybody explain the Q1 and Q2 wins thingy ?

Didn't read this completely, but think it's like Top 75 wins. Q1 is like 1-30 and Q2 is 30-75. Wins are weighted differently based on where your opponent falls in those quadrants.

Think wins/losses are being judged on margin of victory now too. I've heard of coaches that will not foul at end of games for fear of losing by X amount more because the loss will be weighted differently.

Didn't read this completely, but think it's like Top 75 wins. Q1 is like 1-30 and Q2 is 30-75. Wins are weighted differently based on where your opponent falls in those quadrants.

Think wins/losses are being judged on margin of victory now too. I've heard of coaches that will not foul at end of games for fear of losing by X amount more because the loss will be weighted differently.

Quadrant one wins are those home games vs. teams RPI ranked 1-30, neutral games vs. 1-50, and away games vs. 1–75. For example, a home win against a top 30 team would qualify as a quadrant one victory.

A Quadrant 2 win are those at Home against the RPI 31–75, neutral 51–100, and away victories over the RPI 76–135

@gamecocks247 with the real explanation.

So if that guy on twitter is right, I guess we have (1) quad 1 wins and (6) quad 2 wins, I guess?

I’m not sure this is that big of a conundrum. Let’s consider these two options:

1. We drop 2 more games and get only a 1 round bye, win one in the tournament, then lose in the next round.

2. We drop 1 game only, getting a double bye and lose in the tournament.

We still have the same number of wins. We still lost in the same round of the tournament.

So if we don’t get in with option 2 (double bye in the tournament), I just don’t see how we would somehow get in under option 1. The committee is smart enough to compare those two and probably give a slight edge to getting the double bye and finishing 4th.

Reactions: GandBinNC
Win all you can NOW. If we have the double bye, that's probably our best bet for a "quality" win. Our bench is depleted and we are down to 8 players. Stamina would be a liability without the double bye. Without it, we could win a couple off low quality games in the tourney before we played any team that mattered.

Win all you can NOW. If we have the double bye, that's probably our best bet for a "quality" win. Our bench is depleted and we are down to 8 players. Stamina would be a liability without the double bye. Without it, we could win a couple off low quality games in the tourney before we played any team that mattered.
I would normally agree with ya. But man in the last several wins. We have dominated the last 10 minutes of the game.

Keep balling. Back in January this was all a pipe dream and now looking at a top 4 seed in the conference tourney.

I would normally agree with ya. But man in the last several wins. We have dominated the last 10 minutes of the game.
That's true, but when you have only 8 available, there's a big difference between 2-3 days rest between games and playing a game every day.

I’m not sure this is that big of a conundrum. Let’s consider these two options:

1. We drop 2 more games and get only a 1 round bye, win one in the tournament, then lose in the next round.

2. We drop 1 game only, getting a double bye and lose in the tournament.

We still have the same number of wins. We still lost in the same round of the tournament.

So if we don’t get in with option 2 (double bye in the tournament), I just don’t see how we would somehow get in under option 1. The committee is smart enough to compare those two and probably give a slight edge to getting the double bye and finishing 4th.
Precisely the question I was asking and that's what I was trying to figure out. The bigger problem is that I have no faith in the NCAA's system for picking tourney teams. Especially if we still finish 4th but lose our last conference game and our first tournament game. Doubt we get in losing our last 2 games.

But isn't that how we made it in when we went to the Final Four?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT