ADVERTISEMENT

Don't get too excited about the NCAA tourny, we won't survive the 1st round

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I hate it, my gut feeling tells me that the Gamecocks will lose in the 1st Round too regardless of who the opponent is. The team just don't have what it takes, mentally, at this juncture. Our last NCAA Tournament win was 43 years ago. Goes to show what a debacle the men's basketball program has been for the past 4 decades. Sad but True.

As much as I hate it, my gut feeling tells me that the Gamecocks will lose in the 1st Round too regardless of who the opponent is. The team just don't have what it takes, mentally, at this juncture. Our last NCAA Tournament win was 43 years ago. Goes to show what a debacle the men's basketball program has been for the past 4 decades. Sad but True.
had they not just lost to a Average, at best, Alabama team, especially after how they lost to them before, i would have to be more positive. but unless Thornwell can score 40+, no chance of them winning a game.. So i hate to say it, but i agree.

And with the facilities and fan support this program has there is absolutely no excuse for such poor performance.

Really puts in perspective just how many people go through life seeing the glass half empty. It's real. Misery loves company. It is one thing to always find something to bitch about but bitching before it happens takes a special person.
Im not expecting much, and that is not because I am pessimistic, but moreso because this team lacks a number of key elements, two of which are shooters and depth.

Reactions: SCGCock07
Really puts in perspective just how many people go through life seeing the glass half empty. It's real. Misery loves company. It is one thing to always find something to bitch about but bitching before it happens takes a special person.
I think the lack of excitement among some fans about the tournament stems from the general feeling that this team hasn't played like one that _deserves_ to go to the tournament for well over a month now. Yes, they deserve to go based on their full body of work over the course of the season, but it's been a long time since they played like a _good_ team. While there is excitement over the fact that we're finally going to the tournament again, it is tempered mightily by the anticipation of another loss.

I think the lack of excitement among some fans about the tournament stems from the general feeling that this team hasn't played like one that _deserves_ to go to the tournament for well over a month now. Yes, they deserve to go based on their full body of work over the course of the season, but it's been a long time since they played like a _good_ team. While there is excitement over the fact that we're finally going to the tournament again, it is tempered mightily by the anticipation of another loss.
Agree

Reactions: SCGCock07
A month ago I was thinking that I might make a trip to see them play in the NCAA. I have no interest now. They look really bad over the last month .

^ ^ ^ This sums it up perfectly. Truth!

I can appreciate the progress this program continues to make under Martin. I think we just all want the team to take a giant leap forward, though we keep seeing baby steps. In spite of the finish, progress has been made. A tournament win, imo, would signify a huge leap forward. It's just hard to imagine this team winning one right now. I'm still pulling for them.

I don't think the interest ever returned to where it was before Thornwell was suspended. It was really building at that time.

I'm not that happy with the progress or in this case lack of progress under Martin. I understand that when he took over this program was seriously without talent. However, unlike football it does not require a 3-5 year commitment to turn a program around.
This is now year 5. Keeping in mind that we are in a mediocre basketball league IIMHO there should have been signifiant progress by now, Yes the win total is up dramatically but as is abundantly clear in no way does this team look like it's capable of going deep in the dance

had they not just lost to a Average, at best, Alabama team, especially after how they lost to them before, i would have to be more positive. but unless Thornwell can score 40+, no chance of them winning a game.. So i hate to say it, but i agree.
Cry a little more for us, Drama Queen.

Also, you guranteed that a certain former president would not leave office, "EVER". Your predictions and opinion are as good as one ply tp.

I'm not that happy with the progress or in this case lack of progress under Martin. I understand that when he took over this program was seriously without talent. However, unlike football it does not require a 3-5 year commitment to turn a program around.
This is now year 5. Keeping in mind that we are in a mediocre basketball league IIMHO there should have been signifiant progress by now, Yes the win total is up dramatically but as is abundantly clear in no way does this team look like it's capable of going deep in the dance
Harvard, please be patient. Frank's task is monumental. His first two years, the student body could have fielded a more talented team. Horn's parting shot to push Harris and Gill to other programs was a death blow to Frank. It is not easy to get players here. And then add bbgun gate. We finally have a solid recruiting class coming in. 1st tourney in 40+ years. It is a slow process specifically with us.

Reactions: okccock
I am a huge Gamecock fan and the parent of a player who spent 4-years in the athletic program, so be gentle with me here. I loved the hire of Frank for MBB and thought positive results would be just around the corner. HOWEVER...Frank is not a great (and I think you have to be great) recruiter, and he cannot win meaningful games. I also think it's difficult when you are considered a hard ass coach to get kids who just want to play, win, and have fun. The only exception to this would be Bobby Knight for sure and maybe a few others. I hope the MBB team can win a couple of games and that the exposure will make USC basketball attractive to recruits and want to come to Columbia to play.

Go Cocks.

Harvard, please be patient. Frank's task is monumental. His first two years, the student body could have fielded a more talented team. Horn's parting shot to push Harris and Gill to other programs was a death blow to Frank. It is not easy to get players here. And then add bbgun gate. We finally have a solid recruiting class coming in. 1st tourney in 40+ years. It is a slow process specifically with us.

Just to put things in perspective, Jim Larranga at Miami was hired one year prior to Martin, granted Martin's situation was more dire, the comparison shown shows how a really good coach can make a big difference
JL's first year Miami goes 20-13 and is NIT runner up
2nd yr. 29-7 ACC regular season & Tournament Champs Sweet 16
Coach of the year.
3rd yr 17-16
4th yr. 25 - 13 NIT runner up. (losing in OT with 3 starters out )
5th yr 25-8 . Sweet 16
6th yr . 21- 11 (invite to NCAA assured)

AND this is happening in the ACC, at a school that had only been to the dance 5 times since 1984.

Martin I believe now in his 5th year has been given a very fair chance to take SC to the next level

Reactions: thisisnextyr
Just to put things in perspective, Jim Larranga at Miami was hired one year prior to Martin, granted Martin's situation was more dire, the comparison shown shows how a really good coach can make a big difference
JL's first year Miami goes 20-13 and is NIT runner up
2nd yr. 29-7 ACC regular season & Tournament Champs Sweet 16
Coach of the year.
3rd yr 17-16
4th yr. 25 - 13 NIT runner up. (losing in OT with 3 starters out )
5th yr 25-8 . Sweet 16
6th yr . 21- 11 (invite to NCAA assured)

AND this is happening in the ACC, at a school that had only been to the dance 5 times since 1984.

Martin I believe now in his 5th year has been given a very fair chance to take SC to the next level
That's a hell of a job he's done at Miami. We are geographically and population disadvantaged compared to them, not to mention South Beach and the ACC to sell. I think Frank has a harder job.

That's a hell of a job he's done at Miami. We are geographically and population disadvantaged compared to them, not to mention South Beach and the ACC to sell. I think Frank has a harder job.

I like FM and he is a good coach who can develop players, but he just has to up the talent level at USC to compete. Next year's additions, IMHO, will not cut it. Must get and occasional great player.

If we draw a 28 win team from a mid major conference, then we are done. If we draw an underachieving team like us from a major conference, we have a chance. I'm not giving up on these guys - neither should y'all.

I said this in another thread. and 8/9 might match us up with a pretty crummy power 5 team that also limped into the tournament. Hopefully we don't get a mid-major team that is on a roll and just got in.

Well, this "very bad" team is a #7 seed and is even playing in its home state!!!

Yep. Let OP and one who agrees so much with OP hate on the gamecocks. Really I don't care what they think. Reality is we have a good team and it shows with our #7 seed!!!

Yep. Let OP and one who agrees so much with OP hate on the gamecocks. Really I don't care what they think. Reality is we have a good team and it shows with our #7 seed!!!
The last month.sure doesnt show a good team..sure this is just a makeup for last years selection screwup...a 7 seed should have.been a 10..still loses by 5

The last month.sure doesnt show a good team..sure this is just a makeup for last years selection screwup...a 7 seed should have.been a 10..still loses by 5

Haha, good excuse....you probably said we deserved the snub last season, thus saying the committee was correct in leaving us out. Now, the committee has screwed up IYO. Thankfully we don't allow some of our so called fans on this board, do the picking.

Reactions: DirtyCock99
Think the team will be jacked about being a #7 seed and getting to play in Greenville.
Will almost be like a home game!!

Think this has got to be a big boost for Coach Martin, the coaches, and the players.
Think we will play one of our best games of the year. Will believe that until they don't.
What a shot in the arm this is!! Don't know how it could have turned out much better!!
GO GAMECOCKS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT