ADVERTISEMENT

Doty should be QB1 going forward, right?

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
I am not making any grand proclamations about how good he is, but he clearly seemed better than Zeb, right? And that with only one full day of practice this week.

I am not making any grand proclamations about how good he is, but he clearly seemed better than Zeb, right? And that with only one full day of practice this week.
I'll go with Zeb as long his hand is ok from a cut and bring Luke along each game.. Luke is still young and you want him to be better going into next year...

This is a tough one. I certainly think Doty offers the bigger upside, but Zeb brings experience and playbook knowledge. What do ya'll think about a two QB approach, like Mitchell and Hold in the 80's? Let Zeb manage the game, but if we struggle put in Doty for a spark. That way we bring Doty along a bit more slower, which may help his confidence and the sharpening of his game. Just a thought.

sometimes you have to rip the bandaid off. Give it to Doty and get him the experience. UGA was not optimal for his first playing this year. But he is the future. At least more so than Zeb.

Reactions: gamecock disciple
Luke showed significant improvement over last year and the spring, which is good. Couple of overthrows, which was understandable given those circumstances last night, but some damn nice ones too. Still doesn’t seem to be as fast as advertised, wasn’t last year either so it’s not the foot, but certainly has a workable speed comparatively. Hope he holds up.

Reactions: 92Pony
My thoughts exactly. Threw a cleaner ball, was able to move around the pocket to feel pressure. And although he was pressured like crazy there was about 4 or 5 times that I thought he was sacked and he made a mid-air throw before being slammed down to avoid sack.

Yeah, I just can't think of any area where Zeb was superior. For only having one full practice this week and being his first game action of the year, he looked more composed than Zeb, and that was supposed to be Zeb's main selling point.

Yes. Play him now and let's see what we really have. Hopefully, he shows steady improvement and this pitiful offense is up to solidly average by year's end.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Yes. Throwing motion seems improved...not great but better. It wouldn't have helped last night against that defense, but I expect to see him more involved in the run game going forward.

I disagree. I think Zeb has more maturity and control over the offense. It was a busted play by the Georgia defense but Zebs one pass was 1/3 of the passing yardage Doty would have the rest of the game….and a lot of those yards were in garbage time.

It doesn’t matter bc Zeb is out due to 400 pounds of cleat pressure applied to his throwing hand.

Neither QB will lead us anywhere. I think Zeb gets us more wins now. Unless Doty significantly improves (and it looked a lot like last year to me) then we will be lucky to win 2 more games.

There is no benefit from playing Zeb. If that wasn’t obvious from last week it should have been from watching Doty. There may be some weird obsession with him knowing the playbook inside and out but he can’t execute anything. He has no pocket presence, can’t make progression reads and for every one accurate pass he throws there are 3 that wobble and end up 3 yards away from the target.

Doty still needs some work as a passer but he at least knows how to step up in a pocket, can let a play progress to get shots downfield and adds an extra dimension to the running game. If he’s healthy you go with him.

Yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Having a non-mobile QB makes it a lot easier on defenses. Throw in a mobile QB, and just the threat of a run from the QB changes the game.

Doty 2020 vs UGA-18/22 190 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. Lost 45-16

Doty 2021 vs UGA-13/26 153 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. Lost 40-13

Looked pretty damn similar to me.

Reactions: uscwatson21
That Georgia defense didn't look similar to the one I watched last year.
Drink the kool aid if you wish. There will be more games to compare moving forward.

I’m not blaming the kid. To be fair the line sucks, it’s a new system and he has been injured.

But this idea that he is much improved really isn’t holding much weight. That’s probably the best point you have at this point is that Georgia’s defense is much improved.

I’m not even sure that’s the case. Clemsux offense sucks, so does ours and they played UAB.

Drink the kool aid if you wish. There will be more games to compare moving forward.

I’m not blaming the kid. To be fair the line sucks, it’s a new system and he has been injured.

But this idea that he is much improved really isn’t holding much weight. That’s probably the best point you have at this point is that Georgia’s defense is much improved.

I’m not even sure that’s the case. Clemsux offense sucks, so does ours and they played UAB.

Tom Brady would have had those numbers with this oline against that defense.

Reactions: 92Pony
Tom Brady would have had those numbers with this oline against that defense.
This is an overused take around here. Brady has pocket presence and has learned how to survive on different teams across decades with offensive lines of various abilities. Even with a good line our QB play would suck.

They looked like ticket collectors at the county fair….
Played football from the time I was in sixth grade through 4A in high school, and like everyone else have watched and studied in the close to 50 years since, and I have NEVER seen oline players do nothing more than tap blitzers on the shoulder as they run past. It is mind freaking boggling.

Linemen on both sides of the ball should be 1st priority in each recruiting cycle. We have enough "skill" if we had a good line. Win the LOS whoever has the ball and you'll likely win the game. That's been true about football since before Red Grange.

I swear I don’t get the vitriol toward Doty……..

This whole QB thing feels so much like CH 2.0. The only difference is an injury forced the issue this time. The next time we bring in an 8th year super senior graduate assistant, can we actually make it Tom Brady???!?

Last edited:
Reactions: gamecock disciple
Doty has to be back there going forward if he is (and stays) healthy. Zeb threw a few good balls before having to go out, but this game would have gotten even uglier than it was if Doty didn't come in. He's improved passing, it was obvious to me. Also, you can tell by the look in his eyes that he's intense, he's a baller, and he's a leader. Doty is going to be a really good QB for us IMO.

IMHO, it is not even a question ... absolutely ... with that incredible UGA defense, Noland would not have a chance ... as for Doty, he surprised me with how well he threw the ball in the pocket ... perhaps it was a combination of nothing having played in a real game since December, maybe not quite 100% on the foot, and/or that defense, but he looked good overall ... I would like our offense to evolve to where we use the entire field on the passing game ... it reminds me of Lou with the quick passes OR long ball ... use the entire field ... and BTW, Jason Brown is incredibly slow of foot ... if anything happens to where Doty does not play, I believe I would rather see Gauthier in the game ... again, a humble opinion ...

Life is good - Peace!

Linemen on both sides of the ball should be 1st priority in each recruiting cycle. We have enough "skill" if we had a good line. Win the LOS whoever has the ball and you'll likely win the game. That's been true about football since before Red Grange.
In addition, we have to recruit an offensive line coach. That level of lostness three games in reveals a lack of teaching.

Without question! Zeb's two biggest positives are his knowledge of the playbook and his decision making. Watching Doty throw the ball against UGA was a thing of beauty! UGA is the number 1 defense in the country, without question. Doty just needs reps to work on his decision making and gain better knowledge of the playbook and the best reps are in game reps. For the future of the program I think Doty, unless he is injured, is the starter. He gives us the best chance to win today, and tomorrow. Anyone who thinks otherwise after watching his first action of the season against the best defense I've seen in the past 6 years, with that porous o-line, is kidding themselves.

I hope this was intended as a rhetorical question. He is head and shoulders above any option we have and was named the starter in the preseason.

Well, I think it's fairly obvious after the UGA game, but some still think Zeb presents the better option. After seeing Doty though, I think you really have to strain to see anyone but Doty as the best option. I'm not labeling him the savior of the program or any such thing. But he's clearly the best option we have right now and I thought he looked pretty good.

Well, I think it's fairly obvious after the UGA game, but some still think Zeb presents the better option. After seeing Doty though, I think you really have to strain to see anyone but Doty as the best option. I'm not labeling him the savior of the program or any such thing. But he's clearly the best option we have right now and I thought he looked pretty good.
I hate to harp on this, but neither Alabama's nor Oregon's offense - with all those talented skill players, would go anywhere behind our offensive line - our players playing the way they are playing.

Anyone who thinks otherwise after watching his first action of the season against the best defense I've seen in the past 6 years, with that porous o-line, is kidding themselves.
...and only having one practice 11 v 11. He was still shaking the rust off in the GA game.

Totally agree with everything that you said. Doty is going to be our guy. Get the OL issues figured out, look out.

...and only having one practice 11 v 11. He was still shaking the rust off in the GA game.

Totally agree with everything that you said. Doty is going to be our guy. Get the OL issues figured out, look out.
A UGA buddy of mine even saw it! Last year, when Hill did put the ball on target it was likely going to be a drop. We all know this! We should all, objectively, see the improvement in this team. His Twitter post is below…

Beamer is not coaching for his job, he is coaching for the future of the program. While I don't think Doty is the long term answer at qb in the next 3 seasons, I guess you might as well find out sooner than later. I think you have to roll Doty out there. This team isn't good enough to make any push towards an SEC championship, every personal move should be for the future more so than the present.

Reactions: Gamecock Jacque
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT