ADVERTISEMENT

DT: When was the first time you attended a game at WB?

Nobody attended a game at Williams Brice before 9/9/72.

I beg to differ with you. At least I thought it was named WB. I know I attended my first game in 1971 and WB was all I ever remembered the stadium being called. It may not have officially been named WB in 1971 but it was well on it's way to being named WB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brucifer
Thinking '72 against unc. I still have the program and ticket stubs me and my dad saved. I do remember looking back over the program from that day and seeing that LT was a soph for unc. I was 7.

The first game I attended at WB was in 1971. The game was against Maryland and while I don't remember the exact score, I do remember USC won the game handily. Dickie Harris, one of the stars of the team, was a Senior that year.

It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. I just remember sitting in my seat and looking around the stadium and saying to myself, this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen.

Clemson Carolina game 1958 was not a happy day for me. SC 26 Clemson 6. I was a Tiger fan then, but graduated from SC. Clemson won the ACC and were on their way to the Sugar bowl. We skipped school and drove to Columbia without tickets. Five of us rushed the northwest gate and two of us made in. Ushers found me just before halftime and gave me the heave ho. It was know as Carolina Stadium then.

Taneyhilll's debut. My cousin attended with me and needed a ticket. He bought one for $5 in the fairgrounds and once we walked across the street a kid walked by with a handful of tickets selling them for $1 each. Little did we know how that day would turn out.
The one thing that stuck out the most for me was the size of the MSU lines.
They seemed to dwarf us. I believe Sherrill had some of the biggest lines in all of football.
It was amazing the difference Taneyhill made that day. Place was electric. Especially for a 0-5 team. Too bad he couldn't get on the field before then. That could of been one hell of a season.

The first game I attended at WB was in 1971. The game was against Maryland and while I don't remember the exact score, I do remember USC won the game handily. Dickie Harris, one of the stars of the team, was a Senior that year.

It was the first year the West Upper Deck was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. I just remember sitting in my seat and looking around the stadium and saying to myself, this is the prettiest stadium I have ever seen.
Was cub scout day. Don't remember the year, had to be early 60's. only stands were the metal ones. We had a contest to see who could collect the most empty coke cups. Hot as fire believe we played Maryland.

I beg to differ with you. At least I thought it was named WB. I know I attended my first game in 1971 and WB was all I ever remembered the stadium being called. It may not have officially been named WB in 1971 but it was well on it's way to being named WB.

The Williams and Brice family (owned a large furniture manufacturing plant at that time.) in Sumter made a large contribution which made the remodeling and the addition of the west upper deck possible/ . I remember moving my seats to the West Upper Deck at that time and now have four first row seats in Section 305 and 4 first row seats in Section 304 which I would not trade for any seats in the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT