ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Thompson hired by Detroit Lions as a "character coach"

Because many athletes that reach the level of the NFL were never taught or never bothered to learn about how to live their lives as productive members of society once their professional careers are over. They were too busy honing their skills in their chosen sport to learn the skills necessary to survive in a world without their sport. Why do you think many of them end up broke just a short time after their career is over. I personally think it’s a great idea that these teams recognize That having somebody on their staff to counsel and mentor these guys is a good thing. Marcus Lattimore is now filling a similar role at the University of South Carolina.

I can see it at the college level with 18-22 year olds, but I can't see 25-40 year old pros being receptive.

Good grief if you watch any NFL stuff(I don`t watch much), there is certainly a great need for character. Hopefully some of then will listen to him. Good for Dylan. Not sure I would want to live in Detroit though.

Good grief if you watch any NFL stuff(I don`t watch much), there is certainly a great need for character. Hopefully some of then will listen to him. Good for Dylan. Not sure I would want to live in Detroit though.
My thoughts exactly regarding living up there. I'd imagine the Lions pay better than Charleston Southern.

Now there are two character coaches in the NFL (according to the article linked above), Jack Easterby of the Patriots and now Dylan Thompson of the Lions. Jack is a Newberry College graduate and Columbia native. Dyan is a Boiling Springs native. That speaks well for our area!

Reactions: 92Pony
Because many athletes that reach the level of the NFL were never taught or never bothered to learn about how to live their lives as productive members of society once their professional careers are over. They were too busy honing their skills in their chosen sport to learn the skills necessary to survive in a world without their sport. Why do you think many of them end up broke just a short time after their career is over. I personally think it’s a great idea that these teams recognize That having somebody on their staff to counsel and mentor these guys is a good thing. Marcus Lattimore is now filling a similar role at the University of South Carolina.
So important! Hope the concept works!

So many athletes have so much, and are so lost and end up destroyed.

Reactions: biggs#
So important! Hope the concept works!

So many athletes have so much, and are so lost and end up destroyed.

Hey Dylan! If you read this, I live in metro Detroit. Take my advice and RUN while you still have time!!!

Reactions: SCexpat38
Congrats to Dylan. As for the need for a character coach, if I was 22 and you handed me $10 million, I'd be sewing wild oats in every NFL city there was. Johnny Football would be amateur hour compared to me.

Hell, when I was 22 I ran amok with $10. Thankfully, I had parents and the Army to keep me from winding up under some jail. Not everybody has that support.

Congrats to Dylan. As for the need for a character coach, if I was 22 and you handed me $10 million, I'd be sewing wild oats in every NFL city there was. Johnny Football would be amateur hour compared to me.

Hell, when I was 22 I ran amok with $10. Thankfully, I had parents and the Army to keep me from winding up under some jail. Not everybody has that support.
The NBA/NFL is chock full of broke men who were handed $10 million, and some who were handed even more. $10 million split on a dozen women and children does not really last that long.

Too bad these stars can't earn an allowance and the remainder be placed in trust. Guess responsibility if the price of freedom.

Reactions: The Carolinian
The NBA/NFL is chock full of broke men who were handed $10 million, and some who were handed even more. $10 million split on a dozen women and children does not really last that long.

Too bad these stars can't earn an allowance and the remainder be placed in trust. Guess responsibility if the price of freedom.
I know. Just save 10% of the salary and you are fixed comfortably for life. May not be ultra rich but will be comfortable. Mike Tyson.......

Now there are two character coaches in the NFL (according to the article linked above), Jack Easterby of the Patriots and now Dylan Thompson of the Lions. Jack is a Newberry College graduate and Columbia native. Dyan is a Boiling Springs native. That speaks well for our area!

Wasn’t Easterby with the Gamecocks (during Spurrier’s era) before he got the call from New England?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT