ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN ranks top 25 college basketball hires of the last 25 years.....

(From the article)
Even if he hadn't defeated Duke in the 2017 round of 32 and taken his team to the Final Four as a No. 7 seed, Martin would be a strong candidate to make this list. He has elevated the South Carolina program just as he elevated the Kansas State program before arriving in Columbia.

I'm not sure if making the dance 1 of 8 years qualifies as elevating it? Did his team show up for a three week memorable stretch three years ago? Absolutely! Far from elevating the program as whole though in my opinion.

(From the article)
Even if he hadn't defeated Duke in the 2017 round of 32 and taken his team to the Final Four as a No. 7 seed, Martin would be a strong candidate to make this list. He has elevated the South Carolina program just as he elevated the Kansas State program before arriving in Columbia.

I'm not sure if making the dance 1 of 8 years qualifies as elevating it? Did his team show up for a three week memorable stretch three years ago? Absolutely! Far from elevating the program as whole though in my opinion.
Relative to where the program was when he took it over, he has dramatically elevated it. We had not won an NCAA game in almost 50 years until he did it. We had not been to the dance in almost 13 years prior to Martin’s trip so again- sad as it is to say- YES going once every 8 years is a drastic improvement. Elevation is again relative to your starting point- our starting point after Horn was about as close to the bottom as you could get.

I just posted in another thread about how I feel the team has progressively regressed since 2017, but that is another story. In the context of where we are today vs where we were when Martin took over, yeah he has elevated the program and there is no reasonable argument against that. Has he done it well enough to keep his job long term and take us back to the dance? To be determined.

Relative to where the program was when he took it over, he has dramatically elevated it. We had not won an NCAA game in almost 50 years until he did it. We had not been to the dance in almost 13 years prior to Martin’s trip so again- sad as it is to say- YES going once every 8 years is a drastic improvement. Elevation is again relative to your starting point- our starting point after Horn was about as close to the bottom as you could get.

I just posted in another thread about how I feel the team has progressively regressed since 2017, but that is another story. In the context of where we are today vs where we were when Martin took over, yeah he has elevated the program and there is no reasonable argument against that. Has he done it well enough to keep his job long term and take us back to the dance? To be determined.

He should have been gone after this year, the COVID gave him a grace year... that and Tanner overpaying him.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The list as a whole is very strange. When was Billy Donovan hired at Florida? He must have just missed the cut.

And while Martin hasn’t gotten us to the tournament as often as we’d like, his first 3 years really aren’t on him. We were an absolute train wreck. Our SEC record has been much better than weve been historically over the past few seasons. We just take to long to gel for some reason. He’s got to figure out how to win games early. The 2 best years we’ve had were years we had a good OCC record.

Got to get the job done now. But I will say the program is in much better shape than what Horn handed to him.

In my opinion it was a great hire. He's absolutely elevated Carolina Basketball. I doubt we get a better coach than him when a change is made.
All that said it's time for a change.
JMO.

In my opinion it was a great hire. He's absolutely elevated Carolina Basketball. I doubt we get a better coach than him when a change is made.
All that said it's time for a change.
JMO.
There it is the old misnomer where USC can't get a better coach. If you have money and decent facilities you can get a coach. Where is the great elevation? One year out of 8 with good results, the rest not much. Everyone seems content with a over .500 season.

I’m giving Thornwell a big part of the credit & the NCAA gave him the shaft his junior year otherwise frank could have risen another spot or two in this poll that’s extra relevant in these times

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I'm in 50% agreement, if I understood your post correctly.

without Thornwell, FM wouldn't have made the article. If Thornwell danced as a Junior & Senior, and made any note worthy waves as a Junior on the big stage, Frank could have been ranked as high as the 21st best hire. Without Thornwell Frank is probably as low as 42&1/2 give or take, The NCAA did screw US, you me Thornwell, frank the program etc....in 2016. For heaven sake they told him he was in and retracted, that kinda "stuff" only happens to us, I am convinced they just plain don't like us at all.

Reactions: EgotisticalGamecock
If we Dance in Year Nine, then Everything's Fine.
If at Home We Do Stay, Frank must Be On His Way.

King with the rhymes
Overcoming Maik's graduation worries me more than what AJ does or doesn't do.

We are going to need Wildens Leveque to bring some defense to the post and ease up his fouling tendencies. I like Mcreary & Frink bringing some depth but they don't have the length wildens has even though I like Mcreary from an offensive stand point in the post & see him improving. I like the rest of our team from a skill and athletics stand point & Keyshawn can drive on most anyone. Hopefully we have figured out our inbound pass and effective passing at the top of the key to avoid gift lay ups. The Stetson memory still haunts me to no end

Reactions: king ward
King with the rhymes

We are going to need Wildens Leveque to bring some defense to the post and ease up his fouling tendencies. I like Mcreary & Frink bringing some depth but they don't have the length wildens has even though I like Mcreary from an offensive stand point in the post & see him improving. I like the rest of our team from a skill and athletics stand point & Keyshawn can drive on most anyone. Hopefully we have figured out our inbound pass and effective passing at the top of the key to avoid gift lay ups. The Stetson memory still haunts me to no end

This will be a "small" team compared to what Frank usually likes to have.

King with the rhymes

Maybe we can get that Wake center that is entering the portal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT