ADVERTISEMENT

Ever lusted after another team's coach?

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
I so want to hire Chris Beard to be Texas men's basketball coach. I am so tired of Shaka Smart, I don't care he won the NIT for us this year. Who would have thought Texas Tech in the NCAA finals?

I so want to hire Chris Beard to be Texas men's basketball coach. I am so tired of Shaka Smart, I don't care he won the NIT for us this year. Who would have thought Texas Tech in the NCAA finals?

You lost me at "Chris Beard"!

Yes I’m obsessed with Chris Beard. As a lifelong Duke fan (my dad want there) I want him to succeed Coach K. He is the next coach K in my opinion (Bobby Knight background) and he’s easily the best defensive coach in the country.

Yes I’m obsessed with Chris Beard. As a lifelong Duke fan (my dad want there) I want him to succeed Coach K. He is the next coach K in my opinion (Bobby Knight background) and he’s easily the best defensive coach in the country.

I hope Texas fights you for him.

I hope Texas fights you for him.
Not that I believed it, but when the rumors came out about FM possibly leaving of his own accord, I was hoping we would go after Beard. I like him so much, I had TT in my Final Four. I did not have them beating MSU, though.

I actually agree with this. They have very similar coaching styles.

But personalities are the opposite. I don't see the similarities that you do. Frank is loud, profane, yells a lot, etc. If his team wins a big game to go to a championship, I just don't see his first instinct to be to lead his team in prayer like Chris Beard did. It was hilarious watching CBS, who was expecting a self congratulatory, we-did-it speech trying to cut the feed and go to commercial when Beard unexpectedly did the prayer in the lockerroom.

But personalities are the opposite. I don't see the similarities that you do. Frank is loud, profane, yells a lot, etc. If his team wins a big game to go to a championship, I just don't see his first instinct to be to lead his team in prayer like Chris Beard did. It was hilarious watching CBS, who was expecting a self congratulatory, we-did-it speech trying to cut the feed and go to commercial when Beard unexpectedly did the prayer in the lockerroom.

Yea I meant from an actual X and O’s perspective. Very aggressive defensive philosophy, recruit similar types of players. Obviously their dispositions are very different...Beard is far more mild mannered and positive. Like I’ve said before, Beard is the one coach I’d drop Frank for in a second....but there aren’t many others.

Yea I meant from an actual X and O’s perspective. Very aggressive defensive philosophy, recruit similar types of players. Obviously their dispositions are very different...Beard is far more mild mannered and positive. Like I’ve said before, Beard is the one coach I’d drop Frank for in a second....but there aren’t many others.
Tony Bennett is defensive-minded coach also - maybe the top proponent of defense in college basketball. He's a guy who used his success at what he teaches to improve his recruiting. We should have seen more of that. Yes, I know Bennett is out of our reach.

Tony Bennett might be the best defensive coach in basketball. From an Xs an Os standpoint, he is a mastermind. But I love the character that Beard brings to his team. Like FM, he recruits athletes who can play aggressively and athletically on defense, but they are also good offensively. TT is a very well-rounded team, and I expect them to win tomorrow night.

Basketball coaching decisions are hard because some of the good coaches aren't good, they are just buying players. It can be hard to distinguish. Texas Tech struggles to fly their players places rather than sending them on buses, so Beard's success is even more remakable. He is one of the few you know isn't buying anyone. Texas fans would punt Shaka Smart in a minute for Beard, it just may not work out for us.

Tony Bennett is defensive-minded coach also - maybe the top proponent of defense in college basketball. He's a guy who used his success at what he teaches to improve his recruiting. We should have seen more of that. Yes, I know Bennett is out of our reach.

Tony Bennett is not without flaws. His offensive philosophy is predicated on his big men being able to get away with illegal screens. They always struggle against highly athletic, long teams. His teams are also notorious for tightening up when shots aren’t falling...If they don’t pull off Miracles against Purdue and Auburn we’re all talking about how overrated of a coach he is..and how he can’t get it done.

Tony Bennett is not without flaws. His offensive philosophy is predicated on his big men being able to get away with illegal screens. They always struggle against highly athletic, long teams. His teams are also notorious for tightening up when shots aren’t falling...If they don’t pull off Miracles against Purdue and Auburn we’re all talking about how overrated of a coach he is..and how he can’t get it done.
I'm not saying those things in any case. Appears to me he is posting admirable records consistently. Seems like Shangri-La to me.

Uhh... ever heard of Greg Marshall???

I think about half of this board has wet dreams every night lusting after him. Maybe Chris Beard can replace him, but I doubt it.

I might lust after their wives, but not some dude.

While it usually has a sexual component, it can also be used, according to Miriam-Webster as "an intense longing or enthusiasm" such as it is often used in the phrase "lust for life" or "lust to succeed".

Uhh... ever heard of Greg Marshall???

I think about half of this board has wet dreams every night lusting after him. Maybe Chris Beard can replace him, but I doubt it.
Are you sure you don't mean GGreggg Marshallel? Actually, that the first thing that jumped to my mind when I read the title of this thread. I don't give a tinker's dam about him, but many on this board are obsessed with him. Maybe it's his endearing personality.

I realize that this will probably sound like an attack but, It Isn't.

Why are we, Gamecock Fans, graced with your presences??? Are you originally from SC??? Are you attempting to keep an old friend or relative abreast of things in texas? Do you believe that there is an under served population here in SC that has an interest in anything texan???Why are we so lucky???

Closest thing is UCONN assistant Jasmine Lister..
UConn_adds_Jasmine_Lister_as_assistant_c_0_40171398_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg

Jasmine-Lister-3.jpg

I realize that this will probably sound like an attack but, It Isn't.

Why are we, Gamecock Fans, graced with your presences??? Are you originally from SC??? Are you attempting to keep an old friend or relative abreast of things in texas? Do you believe that there is an under served population here in SC that has an interest in anything texan???Why are we so lucky???

Big fan of Coach Muschamp. I am sorry it didn't work out for him to coach at Texas (instead of Strong). Since we (Texas and SC) haven't played since 1957, and don't look likely to, I can unabashedly pull for him and the Gamecocks to win. Especially against the Aggies, and I also have a growing dislike of Kirby Smart. I also like college baseball and there aren't many other schools that have a fanbase that cares much and is knowledgeable about that (at least ones I can stomach).

Reactions: rogue cock
And break the 11th Commandment? No way!

Big fan of Coach Muschamp. I am sorry it didn't work out for him to coach at Texas (instead of Strong). Since we (Texas and SC) haven't played since 1957, and don't look likely to, I can unabashedly pull for him and the Gamecocks to win. Especially against the Aggies, and I also have a growing dislike of Kirby Smart. I also like college baseball and there aren't many other schools that have a fanbase that cares much and is knowledgeable about that (at least ones I can stomach).
I appreciate your contributions to and involvement in this board. You provide both information and insight.

In the spirit of the OP's title ---
Stacy Johnson Klein --
johnsonklein.jpg

I'll trade you Muschamp and Martin for yours.

You can have Shaka Smart, but Herman will be at Texas for the next two decades. Now if you wanted some Charlie Strong, we would have dealt.
Lest you forget, we had Charlie Strong (albeit as D coordinator) and even gave him a nickname.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT