ADVERTISEMENT

Every Gamecock fan should read The Verdict by Chris Paschal - excellent assessment of where we are as a program.

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
Please, take a few minutes - well worth it. For the naysayers, tell me one thing he said that isn’t so. How do you think Clemson built their program when we were whipping them? Through great recruiting and patience, unfortunately. We need to have the foresight to do the same. Actually Kentucky has become a more than respectable program itself by keeping Stoops around and giving him what he needs. We need to follow those blueprints.

Please, take a few minutes - well worth it. For the naysayers, tell me one thing he said that isn’t so. How do you think Clemson built their program when we were whipping them? Through great recruiting and patience, unfortunately. We need to have the foresight to do the same. Actually Kentucky has become a more than respectable program itself by keeping Stoops around and giving him what he needs. We need to follow those blueprints.
Link??

Very solid read. People are quick to point out that we didn't hire a proven winner ala a Napier or Chadwell. We hired someone who WANTED to be here and who is DEDICATED to righting this ship. We don't have the Gilmore's, Clowney's, Ingrams, Lattimore's, Jeffrey's, Shaw's, or Swearingers right now. Will we get there??? Hopefully. This isn't going to be a 1 year turnaround or fix. It's going to take time. It's going to require growing pains. However, hopefully by year 4 or 5, we will see a drastic difference. We have to build depth, and continue to foster a competitive culture. I want Beamer to succeed and I think he will. We have to be patient, and I know we are tired of the "Wait til' next year." Muschamp left a mess of a program behind and didn't leave Beamer a lot to work with. We either get behind him, support him and the team, and grin and bear it. Or we can gladly put on a headset and offer to do much better. I know that others will blame Ray Tanner and rightfully so. He's made very questionable hires, however that's water under the bridge at this point.

All I've seen about this is him saying that "confidence" ....not talent...is the biggest problem with our OL.

That let me know that he knows not of what he speaks regarding college football, players, programs and systems. I'm sure he's a great lawyer, though.

We don't have a Mark Stoops...we have a huge gamble/variable. Stoops was as sure a bet as you could make - especially for Kentucky's program at that time. I wondered aloud why in the world we weren't considering him last fall.

All I've seen about this is him saying that "confidence" ....not talent...is the biggest problem with our OL.

That let me know that he knows not of what he speaks regarding college football, players, programs and systems. I'm sure he's a great lawyer, though.

We don't have a Mark Stoops...we have a huge gamble/variable. Stoops was as sure a bet as you could make - especially for Kentucky's program at that time. I wondered aloud why in the world we weren't considering him last fall.
Yea, you're right DeBoer. He should have said they're a talentless bunch of bums who couldn't stop a high school defense, because that would have been so much more helpful for this team for the rest of the season. Yea, that's the ticket.

SMH. What the hell did you expect him to say?

Very solid read. People are quick to point out that we didn't hire a proven winner ala a Napier or Chadwell. We hired someone who WANTED to be here and who is DEDICATED to righting this ship. We don't have the Gilmore's, Clowney's, Ingrams, Lattimore's, Jeffrey's, Shaw's, or Swearingers right now. Will we get there??? Hopefully. This isn't going to be a 1 year turnaround or fix. It's going to take time. It's going to require growing pains. However, hopefully by year 4 or 5, we will see a drastic difference. We have to build depth, and continue to foster a competitive culture. I want Beamer to succeed and I think he will. We have to be patient, and I know we are tired of the "Wait til' next year." Muschamp left a mess of a program behind and didn't leave Beamer a lot to work with. We either get behind him, support him and the team, and grin and bear it. Or we can gladly put on a headset and offer to do much better. I know that others will blame Ray Tanner and rightfully so. He's made very questionable hires, however that's water under the bridge at this point.
This is the problem with a hire like Beamer, we don't have 4-5 years to hold our breath and hope. We need to see a positive trajectory in the near-term. Risk taking is fine but you have to be comfortable with "smart failure." It's an IT leadership/team building term but it certainly applies here. Part of smart failure is to "fail fast." Meaning learn from the mistake and change course QUICKLY. Ray Ray has boxed us in here.

This is the problem with a hire like Beamer, we don't have 4-5 years to hold our breath and hope. We need to see a positive trajectory in the near-term. Risk taking is fine but you have to be comfortable with "smart failure." It's an IT leadership/team building term but it certainly applies here. Part of smart failure is to "fail fast." Meaning learn from the mistake and change course QUICKLY. Ray Ray has boxed us in here.
We DO have 4-5 years - unfortunately. If we don't, we'll just be back in the cycle again if we fire a coach in less time than that.

Some people don't realize that we have hit rock bottom. We have less talent than Brad Scott left us and a Paul Deitzel, Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier is not willing to gamble on us at this point.

What do you mean we don't have 4-5 years? Time is all we have. Time to build the recruiting relationships. Time to recruit. Time to form relationships with players and fans.
There are no quick fixes in the SEC.

Yea, you're right DeBoer. He should have said they're a talentless bunch of bums who couldn't stop a high school defense, because that would have been so much more helpful for this team for the rest of the season. Yea, that's the ticket.

SMH. What the hell did you expect him to say?
None of it will help or hurt the OL. They are what they are. They're not great (obviously), but they're not bums. They are what we could with a lame duck HC and staff the last couple years in recruiting.

I don't expect him to say anything at all. If he is going to speak about it - a good start is to have some idea about what you're talking about though.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
We DO have 4-5 years - unfortunately. If we don't, we'll just be back in the cycle again if we fire a coach in less time than that.

Some people don't realize that we have hit rock bottom. We have less talent than Brad Scott left us and a Paul Deitzel, Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier is not willing to gamble on us at this point.
I agree that we have a roster that is about as bad as I've seen in 30-35 years of knowing what a good vs. bad roster actually is. It's definitely up there with some of the worst in that timeframe. Not a great time to be built like that either - considering we still play in the SEC.

I disagree that we will/have to be in that same cycle. In the last 2-3 years the way you can start, operate, run and change a program turned 180 degrees. Once again our administration (hiring bodies) are behind the times - but the coaching staff that is in place has the ability within the loose confines of the current rules to turn things around quickly if they are ABLE to. That's the big question and sell to recruits /transfers. So, I think coaches NOW should have quicker hooks than ever before. 3-4 Years now...is a decade in 90s and early 2000s.

None of it will help or hurt the OL. They are what they are. They're not great (obviously), but they're not bums. They are what we could with a lame duck HC and staff the last couple years in recruiting.

I don't expect him to say anything at all. If he is going to speak about it - a good start is to have some idea about what you're talking about though.
The starting OL is made up of a lot of Seniors and Juniors who played better last year. When you have a line with a lot of snaps that regresses significantly it is a RED flag. It is the most concerning development this year with regard to our coaching staffs capabilities.

We have forever. Shane's not going anywhere for a long time. His leash is probably 6-7 years long, assuming he doesn't do something completely crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesRob

I don’t disagree with the notion that Beamer needs time and it’s going to take several years. Here’s my problem…this is basically the same thing we said when we hired Muschamp…and Spurrier before him…and Holtz before him….and Scott before him…etc. Like I said, I get it. The only options are: 1) Give Beamer time or 2) quit being a fan and quit following the team. But certainly folks can see where some of us who have followed the team for a long time have a sense of futility.

Last edited:
What do you mean we don't have 4-5 years? Time is all we have. Time to build the recruiting relationships. Time to recruit. Time to form relationships with players and fans.
There are no quick fixes in the SEC.
This is a dangerously old way of thinking. Lane Kiffin has flipped the Rebels roster in short order. The transfer portal is essentially free agency, we can't turn in to Bama overnight but we darn sure should be bowl eligible next year. If not, we have a huge problem.

I don’t disagree with the notion that Beamer needs time and it’s going to take several years. Here’s my problem…this is basically the same thing we said when we hired Muschamp…and Spurrier before him…and Holtz before him….and Scott before him…etc. Like I said, I get it. The only options are: 1) Give Beamer time or 2) quit being a fan and quit following the team. But certainly folks can see where some of us who have followed the team for a long time have a sense of futility.
See my reply to above, Beamer better be watching Lane in Oxford. That is our model. Flip the roster, leverage free agency...errrrr I mean the transfer portal as much as possible. The days of giving these coaches half a decade to turn things around are over IMO. We don't have time for that mess.

See my reply to above, Beamer better be watching Lane in Oxford. That is our model. Flip the roster, leverage free agency...errrrr I mean the transfer portal as much as possible. The days of giving these coaches half a decade to turn things around are over IMO. We don't have time for that mess.

You are correct that there are definitely models out there for quick turnarounds. It's never been done here. SOS couldn't do a quick turnaround. It was Year 6 before we saw serious gains in the W/L column. It begs the question: CAN it be done here?

Reactions: JamesRob
You are correct that there are definitely models out there for quick turnarounds. It's never been done here. SOS couldn't do a quick turnaround. It was Year 6 before we saw serious gains in the W/L column. It begs the question: CAN it be done here?
It can be done here, but we have to hire a disruptor. People think I hate on Shane, I'm sure the dude is a great person. I don't think he is the disruptor we need. Maybe I'm wrong, we shall see. So far the small sample size doesn't show Shane is a disruptor.

We are never going to win using conventional methods, how many former "recruiters of the year" did Muschamp bring here? Recruiters of the year at Bama/UGA don't play here, we aren't them, never will be. This is why I want Will Healy in Cola, his is a disruptor. Took Austin Peay from the abyss to respectability. Now he is building something at Charlotte, a relatively new football program with no tradition.

Chadwell is a disruptor, Lane Kiffin, Mike Leach, Steve Spurrier...that's the kind of the coach we need to win here.

That’s not correct. We were an illegal procedure from winning the SEC East in 2005.

No. I said we didn’t see serious gains in win/loss for several years. We were 7-5 in 2005. That’s around where we had been. This program did not really get going under SOS until 2010.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
The only think I know for a fact is that Beamer has loss significant hair loss, aged and gotten many grey hairs since he took this job. I'm beyond surprise to see what he looks like now

One thing that surely doesnt help is a lot of arm chair QBs sitting around on a public web forum going on and on about how terrible our current players are.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
This is a dangerously old way of thinking. Lane Kiffin has flipped the Rebels roster in short order. The transfer portal is essentially free agency, we can't turn in to Bama overnight but we darn sure should be bowl eligible next year. If not, we have a huge problem.
I agree somewhat, but Kiffin is in year two. Beamer is 3 games into his first year. There are winnable games still on the schedule. I’m looking forward to seeing how this staff responds and adjusts. In regards to the free agency, they have to utilize it for sure.

Thanks, but I think I'll decline to get my football advice from some pudgy lawyer.

No. I said we didn’t see serious gains in win/loss for several years. We were 7-5 in 2005. That’s around where we had been. This program did not really get going under SOS until 2010.
Joe Morrison went from 5-6 in 1983 to 10-2 the next year. Lou Holtz went from 0-11 in 1999 to 8-4 the next year and 9-3 the year after.

I was wondering that also …..considering that awesome 4-6 regular season KY just finished having😴EyerollLaughing. This is what, his 8th or 9th year? Yeah, give me some of that.

He will leave Ole Miss in disgrace and ruined as per his normal MO. Its what he does.
Who has he left ruined? Pete Carroll ruined USC with NCAA Violations. He took Tennessee to a Bowl win, while winning 2 more game than the previous season.
Only Coach to have a winning record at FAU, in 3 seasons he won 2 Conference USA championships. He's had a winning record at every college he's Coached, with a career record of 69-39.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Kids want to play for lane. That's why he's had so much luck with the transfer portal. Will find out how Beamer does this off-season. Hopefully kids will want to come here and finish their college careers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT