ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone keeps saying baseball coach will never make more than D Staley

cockymark

Oct 1, 2006
Look I love our womens basketball.....but our baseball program is way more important to me! I am wondering what you guys think baseball or womens bball?

Reactions: bushmastercock
About equal in priority considering both sports current levels. Baseball being average, and women's hoops at the height of success. Both, in reality, are overpaid. Football and men's basketball are the straws that stir the drink. Nothing else.

You cannot over pay a Ray Tanner or a Dawn Staley. A coach of that caliber is always worth more than their paycheck. For what Saban and Auriema bring to their schools they quite frankly are underpaid! If we get O'Sullivan it will be a record breaking contract and there will be terrible griping. Should he takes us to the CWS 6 times in 8 years he will be a huge bargain for what he will bring in money wise and in national recognition.

Both sports are equally important...Pay what the market demands to get a great HBC,,Coach Staley always has and always will earn her keep...Dawn Staley's salary will continue to escalate as she adds titles...Another National Championship will boost her pay inot Geno range...She will have earned it..No coach at USC took over a worse program than Dawn Staley did...She has made us one of the top 2 or 3 premier programs in the nation in just 8 years...Coach Frank Martin took aver an awful situation...But Dawn inherited a bigger mess

Both sports are equally important...Pay what the market demands to get a great HBC,,Coach Staley always has and always will earn her keep...Dawn Staley's salary will continue to escalate as she adds titles...Another National Championship will boost her pay inot Geno range...She will have earned it..No coach at USC took over a worse program than Dawn Staley did...She has made us one of the top 2 or 3 premier programs in the nation in just 8 years...Coach Frank Martin took aver an awful situation...But Dawn inherited a bigger mess

Well said but Muschamp took over a horrible roster, a roster that was laughable in the SEC, or ACC for that matter.

Reactions: okccock
I agree nationally WBB is bigger...but I bet if you polled all gamecock fans...baseball is more important!

Apples and oranges. Have no problem paying a baseball coach, but at the national level the market value for a top women's basketball coach is much greater than a top baseball coach. There are many women's basketball coaches who make more than 1 million, and very few baseball. It's market driven. Baseball is huge here, but at most schools it's not. (Similar perhaps to some northern schools where hockey is big.)

Good debate as to who inherited a bigger mess in basketball (Staley or Martin).
10 years before Staley: (Walvius was head coach). 2 NCAAs (1 Elite 8). 3 straight WNIT in her final 3 years. 5 losing seasons mixed in with those 5 seasons where they went to post season.

10 years before Martin: (Odom's last 6/Horn). 1 NCAA Tourney, 3 NITs, 6 losing seasons in those 10 years.

Both have certainly turned their programs around!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT