ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone OK with a boring style of play in 2021 if it gets us 6 or more wins?

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
If USC is going to win 6 plus games in 2021 it will be 4-5-6 yards and a cloud of dust. We are going to need to run the football a huge majority of the time. The strength are our backs. Long sustained drives giving the defense a bunch of rest hoping that helps them play well. A perfect game is Harris with 25-30 carries and 100- 150 yards and then 15 carries by the other backs for another 60-100 yards. Similar to Lou Holtz second year here.

I will never watch or contribute money if the play is anything similar to GaTech

Could we possibly be anymore boring than these past few years? Heck, I will take 50 straight fullback dives if it means winning. (If we use a fullback🙂:))

Reactions: vacock# and 92Pony
Easier said than done. The more you run, the more other teams pack the box. The only way it works is with a dominant, and I mean dominant, offensive line. I don't recall us ever having that type of line. And if you don't have blocking, it doesn't matter who you hand it off to. Need the the pass to set up the run and vice versa.

I have never seen “boring” football

ever
& any way of flirting with 6 or (can’t believe I typed 6 or this next word) more I am 1000% on board with.
remember half our wins last year came from All Barn & the other half Vandy.
not too tuff to improve on that, especially with our QB having turned pro, wish him all the best

@uscusc1987
"If USC is going to win 6 plus games in 2021 it will be 4-5-6 yards and a cloud of dust."

Thought that was interesting as this is what the media called USC's offense back in 1959.
Note the record of Ga. USC prevented a possible FBNC for them.

1959-South Carolina (ACC)​
9/19​
vs.*Duke (4-6)W
12​
7​
9/26​
vs.Furman (3-7)W
30​
0​
10/3​
vs.Georgia (10-1)W
30​
14​
10/10​
@*North Carolina (5-5)L
6​
19​
10/22​
vs.*Clemson (9-2)L
0​
27​
10/31​
vs.*Maryland (5-5)W
22​
6​
11/7​
@*Virginia (0-10)W
32​
20​
11/13​
@Miami (Florida) (6-4)L
6​
26​
11/21​
vs.*North Carolina State (1-9)W
12​
7​
11/28​
vs.*Wake Forest (6-4)L
20​
43​
@ Charlotte, NC
6-4-0​
UNC exposed a weakness-no pass defense. Hope Shane will compensate this time and have a Fire Ant Defense.

What you hope is that we run, run and run until they put 8 in the box and that gives Doty a chance to make some easy throws to keep them honest. If we can't throw the ball at least 30% of the time (preferably more) because Doty doesn't have the arm or the receivers can't catch then our opponents will find a way to stop our running game.

That's pretty much the way we played it with Garry Harper and George Rogers. Garry could never carry the team with his arm, but because the running game was so dynamic he could throw it enough to keep them honest. Still, the best we could do in those days was 8 wins. If we had a better passing game at least one of those teams would have won 10 or more games.

I *think* Luke Doty is a better QB than Garry Harper. (Will have to wait and see.)

If USC is going to win 6 plus games in 2021 it will be 4-5-6 yards and a cloud of dust. We are going to need to run the football a huge majority of the time. The strength are our backs. Long sustained drives giving the defense a bunch of rest hoping that helps them play well. A perfect game is Harris with 25-30 carries and 100- 150 yards and then 15 carries by the other backs for another 60-100 yards. Similar to Lou Holtz second year here.
I did not find Harris’ explosive performances boring at all last year. He single handedly duked it out with Ole Miss and even though we lost, that was one of the most exciting games of the year!

Ironically this is our true identity and we need to get back to it. When you have less talent you learn how to run the ball, play defense, shorten the game and give yourself a chance to win.

When Spurrier first arrived, he ran the ball a lot more than he wanted, realizing it gave us our best chance to win.

We will struggle against the elite teams, but there’s no reason we can’t be physical enough to win 6 games with the schedule we have if we are dedicated to that style of play.

Reactions: caughtlookin
We’ve already seen boring play that got us 2 wins!!🥺

Not at all. I'd rather see the team focused on the bigger picture and developing all facets.

Getting to 6 wins and playing in a crap bowl is of little relevance and that type of micro/over-managing a season (Muschamp says hi) is exactly what we should be trying to get away from.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I'm not worried about the offense. It's the defense that's causing most of my concerns.
Me too. Yet, I think the defense has the best chance to improve if the offense can get keep them rested. If the offense goes 3 and out repeatedly and the defense has to stay on the field it won't matter how much better they play.

I want to see an offense tailored to the the personnel on the team and what they can do best to help us win. THEN recruit to the type of team we eventually want to be.

I hate it when coaches try to stuff a square peg in a round hole and tell us we're stupid for pointing out their fool's errand. Muschamp was the "master" at this.

Beamer has said that's what he's doing. But then again, Muschamp said a lot of things too. So I'll wait and see and hope Beamer’s actually going to walk the the walk.

Could we possibly be anymore boring than these past few years? Heck, I will take 50 straight fullback dives if it means winning. (If we use a fullback🙂:))

The inner Kurt Roper is strong with this one!

I, we, want innovative. Smart. That was a big part of the bill of goods being sold on Beamer.

Boring, suggests ineffective QB, which is not good.

But, if we wake up one day and suddenly have an UGA-level line and Harris and Lloyd rumble like Dawg backs often do, then sure

Effective plays aren’t boring. They may not be flashy, but winning cures all.

Play offense like a Muschamp team and LOSE? That is just cruel and unusual punishment.

I agree with GMCCK97nHTWN (seriously, what's up with this name? Was Rumpelstiltskin already taken?) - effective is never boring. And neither are wins. Put up more points than the other team - I'm happy.

No one cares about style as long as we win. That said, I think Beamer wants balance at least. Don't forget the offense he just left. The passing limitations of our starting quarterback might be an impediment. But style only becomes an issue when the team is losing.

When you have less talent than the opponent then you need to take chances to win. This was what was so infuriating about Muschamps teams. He played to not lose instead of to win.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I agree with GMCCK97nHTWN (seriously, what's up with this name? Was Rumpelstiltskin already taken?) - effective is never boring. And neither are wins. Put up more points than the other team - I'm happy.

LOL.

I guess it is a bit much now that you mention it.

It’s a conflation of different usernames.

It is also descriptive in several ways.

I assume your choice of Todd Flanders is descriptive of you in several ways... not there is anything wrong with that.

As for the length, a) I only had to type it once and b) it has the exact same number of characters as yours.... was Rapscallion already taken? Ha ha. Just kidding.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
I wasnt even looking forward to last year prior to the season. That was a first for me. At least this year I'm ready to see us suit up. That's all I know.

Reactions: king ward
Not at all. I'd rather see the team focused on the bigger picture and developing all facets.

Getting to 6 wins and playing in a crap bowl is of little relevance and that type of micro/over-managing a season (Muschamp says hi) is exactly what we should be trying to get away from.

After coming off a 2 win season and depleted roster, I’d say 6 wins and a crap bowl would be a huge step in the right direction. Right now it’s just crap….

The inner Kurt Roper is strong with this one!

I, we, want innovative. Smart. That was a big part of the bill of goods being sold on Beamer.

Boring, suggests ineffective QB, which is not good.

But, if we wake up one day and suddenly have an UGA-level line and Harris and Lloyd rumble like Dawg backs often do, then sure

Effective plays aren’t boring. They may not be flashy, but winning cures all.

Play offense like a Muschamp team and LOSE? That is just cruel and unusual punishment.

muschamp never had an offense…..bobo gave us a running game somewhat but passing game/approach sucked. I want to win. I don’t care how we have to do it. But if you can’t line up and whip someone, you better at least have some creative plays to combat your inferior talent. Muschamp couldnt grasp that.

muschamp never had an offense…..bobo gave us a running game somewhat but passing game/approach sucked. I want to win. I don’t care how we have to do it. But if you can’t line up and whip someone, you better at least have some creative plays to combat your inferior talent. Muschamp couldnt grasp that.
Muschamp was the anti-Spurrier when it came to creativity.

Oh, I agree.

I was joking about Roper although a run up the middle on first and second seemed to be his go to checkers move every series.

Beamer and his buddy OC had better show some creativity.

Execution may be a problem depending on whether Doty can actually throw and we have any receivers that can catch.

But, you can pretty easily tell whether a scheme is smart and adaptive.

We’ve not seen smart in a while.

The good news is that Boy Wonder was Assistant Something for Offense. He went to OK to learn from Master Riley. He took lots of sticky notes. All the sheeple said so.

As for Bobo, perhaps he schemed a good running plan, but his stubborn insistence to play his handpicked, mediocre QB ruined whatever positives he may have brought.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Oh, I agree.

I was joking about Roper although a run up the middle on first and second seemed to be his go to checkers move every series.

Execution may be a problem depending on whether Doty can actually throw and we have any receivers that can catch.

The good news is that Boy Wonder was Assistant Something for Offense. He went to OK to learn from Master Riley. He took lots of sticky notes. All the sheeple said so.

As for Bobo, perhaps he schemed a good running plan, but his stubborn insistence to play his handpicked, mediocre QB ruined whatever positives he may have brought.
Key point receivers that can catch. I have never seen as many dropped balls as I've seen in the last four years. And for being a defensive guru with four draft picks and a decent rated class only one team in the SEC was worse on defense.

Key point receivers that can catch. I have never seen as many dropped balls as I've seen in the last four years. And for being a defensive guru with four draft picks and a decent rated class only one team in the SEC was worse on defense.

I honestly don’t know what to expect in the passing game.

Creativity can mask some weaknesses, see SOS and him being able to “beat his’n with your’n”.

But, even the best can only do so much.

Doty has talent, but is he really an SEC-level passer? Maybe. Shaw didn’t set the world on fire passing at first. But, he was able to master his skills and his craft.

Receivers? No freaking clue. Little to no proven (in the SEC) players. I’m sure there is talent. I do believe they have a good WR coach.

There is some proven ability at TE.

Pull a Belicheck and go ground (run and catching) and leverage the TEs for mismatches.

Pull the D in and take some shots over the top. Somebody in that big WR room has to be able to catch.

And, we’ve had at least one WR step up ever since Holtz or maybe even Fat Brad. We’ve had a dude for a while now.

I will be watching both the execution (players) and the play calling and adjustments (coaches) when evaluating Beamer and his buddy OC.

Even in losses, if we look better coached, then I’ll accept that (for now).

Reactions: lexgamecock
Oh, I agree.

u nailed roper…….that delayed handoff to run up the middle without a lead blocker was sad. I would call it before he ran it every time so i know the other team’s coaches knew it was coming. Heck, him using a fullback would have been considered creative for him. They liked to refer to roper’s offense as an RPO……there was nothing remotely a read on that play. I could have drawn up better plays using my high schools veer offense from the 70s.

No back will get 30 carries. It’s 2021

Reactions: king ward
I was blessed when I was about 10 or 11 to go with the Slaughter family to meet the players before a game. I once hunted with Chuck and his dad. I shook George Rodger’s hand, Gary Harper, and Willy Scott. George and Willy were monster men. Gary’s hands were not much bigger and stronger than mine At age 10 or so. Gary managed the game, at best. He was not an amazing Athlete, but got us some good wins as a manager. Doty needs to use his legs and limit turnovers, and our year could be a decent one,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT