ADVERTISEMENT

Everyones hero Ellis Johnson said today.....

No team that is decent is worried about our offense in general. Why should they worry about Doty when he has about one second to unload the ball? There isn't a QB that would thrive in our current offense.
That's true but Doty does not see the field he's just not a passer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lakecock1
No, he and many of the posters on this site aren't totally blind either. Many have been saying the same thing about Doty from day one. He has some SERIOUS work to do in the passing game before he could ever become an SEC caliber QB. And, please don't respond with the very lame argument that he already is an SEC caliber QB. He isn't even close to being one. He is closer to being Brandon McIlwain than an SEC caliber QB. And, for those hoping he will be the next Connor Shaw, well 'DREAM ON'.
I don't care how great a QB is, if he doesn't have time to pass or run the designated play, he won't light up the world. How about some blocking? That's the whole thing in a wrapper.

He was the reason Spurrier won so many games here according to MANY on this very forum. The genius recruiter and coach behind the curtain.

The sheeple are going to be restless….

Let the mental gymnastics ensue! LOL.

Seriously though. I’ve actually seen some progress in Doty.

I had little respect for his passing last year. He has missed throws, but he is young.

He can def get us to 6 wins with competent coaching.

Beyond average? Meh. It doesn’t matter. We don’t have the talent (and likely coaching) for more than mediocrity.

Beamer’s job to prove he’s the greatest recruiter in UofSC history and remove “lack of talent” from the list of excuses.

So far? Ehhhhh.

Whatever happened to the transfer WR from Georgia tech we got? Why isn’t he playing?

Did Johnson and Reedy have time in their busy schedules to critique that young kid in Kansas City with the terrible throwing motion. I'm sure he would be willing to pay those two offensive geniuses some of his 200 million $$ contract to teach him the proper way to throw a football.

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
I wouldn’t take much stock about what either of them say . I do take stock in what I see with my own two eyes …. Doty is not an SEC QB and if he is the future then the future is gonna suck . Great kid , great athlete , plays hard , great leader just not a very good QB . Yes his WR core and OL are atrocious but I just don’’t see it guys . Great kid but he’s not the guy . I agree I would start Zeb and recruit like hell .

I don't care how great a QB is, if he doesn't have time to pass or run the designated play, he won't light up the world. How about some blocking? That's the whole thing in a wrapper.
Sorry to inform you and the other Doty apologists on this board, but it is impossible for 5 OL to successfully block 6-7 defenders. It really is that simple. It is up to the OC to devise a game plan that will prevent every opponent from stacking the box. There are no running lanes, the only passes available would be in tight windows due to the number of defenders in the area, or sling some 50/50 balls and pray.

Hopefully the foot injury is what's effecting his arm. It's not hard to tell he doesn't have alot of velocity on his ball. We had few catches Saturday night with guys wide open. He floated the passes giving receivers no chance of getting any yac. Hopefully the foot get's better.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Sorry to inform you and the other Doty apologists on this board, but it is impossible for 5 OL to successfully block 6-7 defenders. It really is that simple. It is up to the OC to devise a game plan that will prevent every opponent from stacking the box. There are no running lanes, the only passes available would be in tight windows due to the number of defenders in the area, or sling some 50/50 balls and pray.
At times they have max protection and still have no clue who to block.

People don't want to hear the truth.
EJ may be right or wrong, he is simply offering an opinion and based on his history here deserves a lot more respect than a lot of posters are willing to give him. Even the great QB guru, Spurrier, was not right on all his QB choices....and pretty much made a similar assessment of Philip Rivers as EJ did on Doty.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
I don't think there is any question that we hired a guy who will need significant on-the-job training. Heck, I suspect Beamer would agree with that. As our old coach often said, "it is what it is." It's a strategy for hiring a HC, whether we agree with that strategy or not. Whether that strategy proves successful or not will depend on how well Beamer does at making adjustments and learning from early mistakes.

Any first time head coach needs significant on-the-job training. Nothing a first timer has done to that point can really prepare them for all the different ways they're about to be pulled when you're the guy at the top of the totem pole.

If it were this simple, no offense in the country would be able to move the ball against any defense. I don't see how "only passes in tight windows". If they're rushing 7, there's going to be room behind the LBs. It's not "that simple".

Reactions: cadcock
He was the reason Spurrier won so many games here according to MANY on this very forum. The genius recruiter and coach behind the curtain.
I know you are being tongue-in-cheek somewhat, but I hope folks realize that Ellis did defense and that's all Ellis did. Lawing was the recruiter on that side.

I heard the same interview with Phil. While Ellis is not a fan of Doty, I didn't feel like hje was being critical of Shane at all. More critical of what was left in the QB room by last staff. We haven't had a good quarterback in quite some time.

Any first time head coach needs significant on-the-job training. Nothing a first timer has done to that point can really prepare them for all the different ways they're about to be pulled when you're the guy at the top of the totem pole.
I believe that is mostly true. I also believe there are some notable exceptions. At the major college level, the ones who stick out to me, and there are certainly others, would be Vince Dooley and James Franklin. They took struggling to bad programs and gave rebuilding teams chances to win from the very start.

EJ may be right or wrong, he is simply offering an opinion and based on his history here deserves a lot more respect than a lot of posters are willing to give him. Even the great QB guru, Spurrier, was not right on all his QB choices....and pretty much made a similar assessment of Philip Rivers as EJ did on Doty.
Agree with much of your statements. You can't teach 6'7" get him the ball. Here's the thing how many more times is Todd Ellis going to say Doty just missed him. He has said that several times already and how long is it going to take Doty to
Learn how to see the field and become a better passer a year maybe two.

Reactions: cockyboyjae
It's sad to see 2 old geezers, my age, trying to hold on to their relevancy. Phil loves it, controversy sells.

A good defensive coach knows offense. It is your job to stop, contain, attack offenses. Ellis is giving you the perspective of what a defensive coordinator sees in an offense. You are noticing tendencies, things to exploit.

Coach Johnson was not a good head coach. He wasn't the first good assistant coach/coordinator that was a bad head coach either. However, he was a great 2nd in command coach for Carolina. He did a lot for Carolina while he was here during the Spurrier era. He brought some discipline and intensity the team needed to compliment Spurrier's style. The emphasis of the Clemson rivarly. Not to mention his recruiting.

I agree with him 100% on the part where he said Beamer needs to be recruiting like hell at QB!!!! (Other positions also) No way Zeb, who was a retired QB from a directional college, should have been able to walk in at the last second and win the job over the actual QB roster!!

I like Ellis, and I do believe he was a big asset to our staff when he was here, but he went 0-12 at Southern Miss so yeah. We don't have to assume we're screwed if he doesn't like our QB

Reactions: Pauliecock
And because of that huge 'learning curve', a first time HC absolutely MUST surround himself with the best coordinators possible. So, far it appears he hasn't done that on the offensive side of the ball.

The sheeple are going to be restless….

Let the mental gymnastics ensue! LOL.

Seriously though. I’ve actually seen some progress in Doty.

I had little respect for his passing last year. He has missed throws, but he is young.

He can def get us to 6 wins with competent coaching.

Beyond average? Meh. It doesn’t matter. We don’t have the talent (and likely coaching) for more than mediocrity.

Beamer’s job to prove he’s the greatest recruiter in UofSC history and remove “lack of talent” from the list of excuses.

So far? Ehhhhh.
I’m not sure how much beyond average Phil Petty was but Skip Holtz sure figured out a way to have success with him.

75% Doty is still a better option than Noland at this point. He’s certainly shown some flashes but the play calling has just been abysmal. It’s hard to tell what his ceiling is just simply based on the limited opportunities he’s had.

So people should not be allowed to state their opinions if they don't agree with yours? Are you a member of the media?
Hardly.. sometimes common courtesy is the best tactic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT