ADVERTISEMENT

Excuses for why we suck...

IMO it IS "Spurrier's fault"! He proved we can win in the SEC and had us 11-1 3 yrs in a row and dominating Clemson in every category (recruiting & on the field)! He plain & simply QUIT RECRUITING and, obviously, didn't oversee his assistants (mainly, his son) in the lack of recruiting efforts and didn't pay attention to how & when the decline started. He, apparently, thought his name would draw recruits, but when it was becoming clear a few years back we weren't pulling them in any longer and the losses were coming, he should've "quit" then and given us a chance to bring in a top-notch coach before things hit the bottom. I feel we're fortunate to have a young, hungry coach who's respected for his recruiting and hope he can bring us back (we were ranked 4th in the country when this decline hit)! He's doing all he can but Spurrier DID put us in this position! These players are HIS and whether they were coached or not OR had the ability to perform is on HIM!
Understood and agreed about recruiting and talent. However, recruiting is only half of the battle. We never had a higher ranked class than Dabo at any time during the streak. We had better coaches who taught the recruits to improve on a daily basis. What I can't get my mind wrapped around is games like a 56-7 loss at Clemson under Muschamp (with basically the same guys as last year, maybe even a talent upgrade), seeing players who didn't seem too interested in the outcome of their biggest rivalry game, compared to a hard fought 37-32 loss last year, where kids played their hearts out after dealing with craziness all year. A good coaching staff hopefully has their team prepared to play in every game, not allowing them to mentally check out after a quarter or a half. Muschamp isn't getting a passing grade from me on that yet, as the exact same thing happened far too many times in his Florida days. I will say that yesterday's game gave me a glimmer of hope, as I was impressed with the comeback and the will to win by the team, regardless of mistakes.

Four consecutive bowls at Duke and an ACC championship says you are wrong.

His offense was as successful, if not moreso, at Duke than Spurrier's.

Statistically, you're wrong. Roper had one year that was better than average at Duke. He had a bad O at Florida and really bad this year. There is a reason we found him running the clock at Cleveland rather than working as an OC.

IMO lack of maturity on offense contributed the most to the slow starts and such. Especially away from home. Youth was the most glaring problem in the end. If I had to pick a problem I'd rather have right now, that would be the one. Time will heal that. I think we're addressing our other issues so I'm optimistic. My 2 cents.

Fuente's, who everyone seemed to want, ain't looking so hot. And he has more experienced players and a much better OL to run it.

Roper was the hottest OC in college ball at the time Muschamp hired him at UF. Give him an OL and a OL coach, his offense will move the ball and put points on the board.
I'm sorry, you were saying about Fuentes? And I don't recall anyone talking about Roper being the hottest OC in college ball.

We must have the biggest bunch of misevaluated players in the history of evaluations.

We got everyone else's leftovers. Spurrier wasn't concerned with it, he was letting his assistants handle it and they were more concerned about how much they liked the family atmosphere and didn't have to recruit or coach. Our talent level is WAY down.

We got everyone else's leftovers. Spurrier wasn't concerned with it, he was letting his assistants handle it and they were more concerned about how much they liked the family atmosphere and didn't have to recruit or coach. Our talent level is WAY down.
It is way down, but initially these players were "big time gets".

The administration and fan base accepts mediocrity! Winning isn't a priority.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT