ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite hoops player to watch post McGuire era

stevestrat2

Jun 12, 2010
South Carolina
I was just thinking about some of the players I enjoyed watching - not saying they were the best players but just fun to watch play - who you got? - I liked Jamal Bradley , Truck Foster , Devan Downey , Chuck Edison , and of course Sin - I am probably going to think of some more but I'll start it off with these. Oh yeah, Sweet E

easy for me.......thornwell....i always liked bill vernau (the big man vernau) as well....he was a fan favorite

Reactions: IrmoRed
I always liked BJ Mckie with his jump-stop shot in the lane. Whenever he would drive, you knew it was coming. I also have a special place in my heart for Rolando Howell's game; mainly because I watched he, Ivan and Edward play at Lower Richland when they won the state championship in 1999.

For me, it was LeRon Williams in 97 and 98. Guy had so much potential and could play above the rim. The guy was a highlight machine when he cared (which apparently wasn't often enough because Fogler sent him packing mid-season).

The other was John Chappell. He wasn't great, but by his senior year he would just get in the paint and bang constantly. So physical.

Carlos Powell was fun, all around player. He's had a great career overseas and is always doing charity work and camps in Florence. Him and DD were my favorite. I knew that Odom group pretty good. Those teams were always on the bubble. Those NIT teams could have made a run in the NCAA tournament.
Balkman played for The TV.

Two guys not getting any love from the 2000's are Tarence Kinsey and Tre Kelley. Tarence had that great crossover into a pull up jumper and Tre was a one man show his senior year (lead the SEC in scoring). He single handly won games at Baylor, at Southern Cal, and home against Ole Miss (and if anyone recalls with a torn ligament in his knee for all of Jan-March). At Kentucky he had 37 with the entire team guarding him. Maybe because his team was terrible by his senior year or the fact that he was immediately replaced by Downey, I think Tre gets over looked in the pantheon of Gamecocks hoopsters.

Two guys not getting any love from the 2000's are Tarence Kinsey and Tre Kelley. Tarence had that great crossover into a pull up jumper and Tre was a one man show his senior year (lead the SEC in scoring). He single handly won games at Baylor, at Southern Cal, and home against Ole Miss (and if anyone recalls with a torn ligament in his knee for all of Jan-March). At Kentucky he had 37 with the entire team guarding him. Maybe because his team was terrible by his senior year or the fact that he was immediately replaced by Downey, I think Tre gets over looked in the pantheon of Gamecocks hoopsters.
Loved both of those guys. Was it Tre or Downey that got a standing ovation from the home crowd at Rupp for his 30+ point performance? Can't remember, seems like they both had one up there.

For Kinsey I will never forget the shot to win the first NIT obviously. Dribble, dribble, step back, drained it for the win

Larry Davis

dec-1996-guard-larry-davis-of-the-south-carolina-gamecocks-shoots-the-picture-id355503

Reactions: coolcock2001
Thornwell, McKie and Downey stand out the most. However I will mention that Renaldo Balkman had the ability to take over a game like no one else. He didn't do it every night, but when he was on it was a lot of fun to watch.

Shooting - BJ Mckie
Defense - Balkman
Hustle - Downey
Overall - Thornwell during the NCAA run

Also...this is always fun to watch and someone mentioned it above

Start watching at the 1:00 minute mark

Michael Carrera, Chris Silva, the Lithuanians, Jimmy Foster and Sindarius. Love to see good players develop.

Archie was a supremely talented player, beset by small injuries, one large one, coaching change in the middle of his development and not the best work ethic. do not think people realize how much coaching changes hurt the development of basketball players especially. They are so close with the coaches because it is a smaller environment. Lets be honest, kids chose a basketball program because of the staff and when those people leave you (with or without cause) it effects an 18-22 year old in a major way. On the court a new coaching staff could look at your skill set and expect something totally different from you. In the past 3 coaching changes at South Carolina the two players who got hurt the most in their development were the late Ro Howell and Dominique Archie.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT