ADVERTISEMENT

Few hoops tidbits from the recruiting weekend

C

Collyn Taylor

With the bulk of their 2020 class locked in now with Javon Benson committing this week, the Gamecocks hosted a few priority targets in their 2021 recruiting class this weekend, most notably Josh Beadle of Cardinal Newman.

Beadle, who's a local prospect, came down and watched the outdoor Tip-Off event, spending a lot of time with Chuck Martin during the event. He also spent time at practice Saturday morning before the football game against Florida.

"The things that I saw while I was there was that Coach (Frank) Martin has the guys working and seem to be having fun while working while still being serious," Beadle said. "That’s definitely a good thing it seems as though the whole team loves the game and the work that comes with it."

Beadle's been around the program for a while, taking a few unofficial visits over the course of last season. Chuck Martin has a really good relationship with him. He's been a priority target in this class, and will continue to recruit him as he gets ready for his junior season.

"There’s really been no specific pitch but they stress building a relationship and I feel as though I have a good relationship with coach Chuck we talk a lot," Beadle said. "Not as just him recruiting me but as a teacher giving me pointers on my game."

--Gamecocks also hosted 2021 guard Jacobi Wright (Legacy Charter/S.C.). He came in Saturday for the football game and watched practice as well. His recruitment has gone a little slower so far, with this really being the second big school he's visited (Clemson was the other). He was blown away by the visit in talking with him and liked what he saw.

Wright popped up on the radar this summer during the AAU circuit and Frank Martin went up a few weeks ago to watch him in an open gym to see him play along with his teammate and big national prospect 2022 guard Perry Smith Jr., who also visited this weekend. Feedback I got from Wright on him was that both guys had a really good time in Columbia. Smith is a guy getting a lot of Power 5 attention early in his career.

We'll have more on his visit later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News