ADVERTISEMENT

For those on the fire Holbrook train...

Not totally sold on firing Holbrook, but I like the Vandy coach (hope clemsux doesn't get him) he has the No.1 recruiting class this year with 10 of his 20 commitments in the top 100 players. He's a proven winner at a less than average athletic program overall.....

I'm now not sure it's coaching. It could be but I don't know. Here's why...our 2012 recruiting class was about #16, 2013 was around #11 and 2014 was about #24. I don't know if all those guys got in or not, but I think I've been giving too much credit for recruiting. Maybe we're just not getting enough of the good players.

Originally posted by superflyby:
Not totally sold on firing Holbrook, but I like the Vandy coach (hope clemsux doesn't get him) he has the No.1 recruiting class this year with 10 of his 20 commitments in the top 100 players. He's a proven winner at a less than average athletic program overall.....
Why would he leave Vanderbilt for that school in the upstate?

As baseball becomes more popular, the bigger athletic programs will become harder to recruit against. We've been a good program for a number of years while other schools haven't really empasized the sport. I don't have any numbers to back that up and maybe I'm wrong, but that's just the way it seems to me.

It's coaching... look at the number of times we have hit into double plays with men in scoring position, look at the number we have lob, look at the number of errors we've made, blunders in the outfield, etc. etc. etc. Chad doesn't have what it takes. We probably will get swept several more times this season. I hate to see it. I am a long time fan of USC baseball. I was one of the few people to tailgate before games at Sarge Frye and have continued to support our team.... was in Omaha in 2010, 2011, and 2012. I am worried that Tanner will not make a move because he is friends with all the staff and his college coach's son is on staff too. This is why you never hire friends in the coaching profession. We had it rolling just a few years ago, were the Duke of college baseball.... now we won't even make the post season.... and look at our record the past couple years when we did make it. With our facilities we should have the best college coach in America and in Omaha every year. No excuses.

excellent summation....

Clean house as soon as the season is over.

Originally posted by Irmo Cock:

I'm now not sure it's coaching. It could be but I don't know. Here's why...our 2012 recruiting class was about #16, 2013 was around #11 and 2014 was about #24. I don't know if all those guys got in or not, but I think I've been giving too much credit for recruiting. Maybe we're just not getting enough of the good players.
Recruiting classes are ranked AFTER classes start for that year, so yes, those guys are in school.

Originally posted by barefootharry:
It's coaching... look at the number of times we have hit into double plays with men in scoring position, look at the number we have lob, look at the number of errors we've made, blunders in the outfield, etc. etc. etc. Chad doesn't have what it takes. We probably will get swept several more times this season. I hate to see it. I am a long time fan of USC baseball. I was one of the few people to tailgate before games at Sarge Frye and have continued to support our team.... was in Omaha in 2010, 2011, and 2012. I am worried that Tanner will not make a move because he is friends with all the staff and his college coach's son is on staff too. This is why you never hire friends in the coaching profession. We had it rolling just a few years ago, were the Duke of college baseball.... now we won't even make the post season.... and look at our record the past couple years when we did make it. With our facilities we should have the best college coach in America and in Omaha every year. No excuses.
If only it were that easy...

midland tec grads continue to prove the midlands are goin' far...

how do you teach to hit n2 a twin killin'? how do u teach 2 leave runners on? & teachin' outfield blunders?......why thats takin' coachin' 2 a new level.......get real

Re: midland tec grads continue to prove the midlands are goin' far...

I'm a Holbrook fan.

You sac bunt to move the runners up, that's how.

Posts and topics calling for Holbrooke's head is useless babble ..he's not going anywhere

This post was edited on 4/13 10:54 PM by bosoxcock

Rod, you want to hire the coach of a team that is having a season as bad or worse than USC's? UVA is 21-14 overall and 7-11 in the ACC with bad midweek losses to to VMI, Old Dominion and Georgetown. None of whom have close to a winning record in their own conferences. If a proven coach is all it takes, then why is UVA having such a bad season? Thought a proven head coach couldn't experience such the year after being the national runner-up.

As for Tim Corbin at Vandy, why would he leave? Vandy has everything in place for baseball to be successful. More so than USC or Clemson or a lot of other college teams. One of the reasons he is successful in recruiting is the trust fund for baseball that helps offset the 11.7 scholorships that baseball coaches have to deal with. He can offer the top players an almost free ride because of that. Other coaches have to get creative when trying to figure out how to split the limited scholarships among 27 players and find other sources to help pay some of the college expenses.

All teams have a bad year every now and then, we are still 23-14 with a chance to turn it around. Florida in 2013 had a record of 29-30 (14-16 SEC), that was the year after three straight CWS appearances. Right now the team looks like it has lost a little confidence, a few breaks could turn that back to positive just as quick as it went the other way. If you look at the recruits for next year we have a lot of pitchers committed that throw in the 90's and some highly touted position players.

Is this a joke? Nobody is in Omaha every year.

This post was edited on 4/13 11:31 PM by coxman

Originally posted by Forever Fowl:
I always liked Toman
You need a SOB as a head coach...

When Tanner came in, he was know as a SOB in coaching and had Clemson fans telling me we hired a bad coach, because he had no class while at NC State... That's when I knew we hired a great coach...

You sac bunt to move the runners up, that's how.
Well with OUR hitters, it depends on who is at the plate. If one of our 2 guys who can actually hit is at the plate, you swing away.

There isn't a "trust fund" specifically for baseball or for any sport Vandy offers. Its called "Opportunity Vanderbilt" and is based on a needs basis for any family that otherwise couldn't afford tuition at Vandy. There is more to the criteria than "can he crush a baseball?" That said, financial help is there for every potential Vandy student but they must qualify for it. I'm sure Corbin is taking advantage of this for a guy or two every few years, but this program is not designed to prop up athletics at Vandy. The school is a perfect blend for college baseball. Great school that can attract kids from affluent families, Corbin is a fantastic recruiter, they have great facilities, and Nashville is a fun city. On top of that, the head baseball position is endowed, giving Vandy a lot of flexibility to keep schools like Oregon and Auburn (like they tried a few years ago) or maybe South Carolina (not gonna happen anytime soon) from poaching Corbin.
Originally posted by Kmart84:
Rod, you want to hire the coach of a team that is having a season as bad or worse than USC's? UVA is 21-14 overall and 7-11 in the ACC with bad midweek losses to to VMI, Old Dominion and Georgetown. None of whom have close to a winning record in their own conferences. If a proven coach is all it takes, then why is UVA having such a bad season? Thought a proven head coach couldn't experience such the year after being the national runner-up.

As for Tim Corbin at Vandy, why would he leave? Vandy has everything in place for baseball to be successful. More so than USC or Clemson or a lot of other college teams. One of the reasons he is successful in recruiting is the trust fund for baseball that helps offset the 11.7 scholorships that baseball coaches have to deal with. He can offer the top players an almost free ride because of that. Other coaches have to get creative when trying to figure out how to split the limited scholarships among 27 players and find other sources to help pay some of the college expenses.

All teams have a bad year every now and then, we are still 23-14 with a chance to turn it around. Florida in 2013 had a record of 29-30 (14-16 SEC), that was the year after three straight CWS appearances. Right now the team looks like it has lost a little confidence, a few breaks could turn that back to positive just as quick as it went the other way. If you look at the recruits for next year we have a lot of pitchers committed that throw in the 90's and some highly touted position players.

When you look at the results for two years now and the overall play and coaching of this team, how could you see any other option other than letting Holbrook go?

MANAFOLD....just went and pulled up the results. They show that, going into this season, Holbrook had right at a 70% winning percentage. 2 regionals and 1 super regional appearance.
I could actually see several other options other than letting him go.

Monty Lee is a SOB if that's what you're looking for in a head coach. I never got that impression about Tanner. Always thought he was more of a players coach.

Nonetheless, Holbrook will be here through 2017 so don't even wish for it before that.

If Tanner were to fire him he'd be making himself look bad as he's the one who hired him.

Egos run wild in the athletic business, don't look for Tanner to budge any time soon.

Former players said Tanner could be hell when he had to be.

Maybe it was a good cop / bad cop thing.

Holbrook was the good cop. Tanner was the bad cop. Now Holbrook is a lost ball I'm the tall weeds.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by FORKCOCK:
Former players said Tanner could be hell when he had to be.

Maybe it was a good cop / bad cop thing.

Holbrook was the good cop. Tanner was the bad cop. Now Holbrook is a lost ball I'm the tall weeds.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

I totally agree with ^ in bold. You nailed it.

Originally posted by CockofEarle:

how do you teach to hit n2 a twin killin'? how do u teach 2 leave runners on? & teachin' outfield blunders?......why thats takin' coachin' 2 a new level.......get real
This^^^^^^

Originally posted by caigmaster:

This^^^^^^
coaches teach plate approach and discipline on the basepath. we cant hit, we cant sacrafice, we cant move runners over, and we get guys thrown out on the basepath every series.

the LOB and DP's are magnified by the fact that we suck at getting runners on in the first place.

dont even start on fielding and moving guys around all season.

lol,aint that the truth....

No brainer!! Corbin at Vandy. Offer him the world. For all you dumb nuts that say no way because he is a tater,well guess what, you are a dumb nut and probably a Human hater! Alot of you now realize Hyman wasn't so bad after all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT