ADVERTISEMENT

Forgive me if this has already been posted: Stepp mic'd up

92Pony

Jan 18, 2011
I just had this pop up for me on YouTube..... And man is it great!! I admittedly know very little of the minutiae of playing or coaching the WR position, so all of this could be bunk, for all I know. But, I'm more inclined to believe that Coach Stepp knows what he's doing, and is going to turn our WR position into one big positive!! MAN, I'm ready for Sept. 4th!!

Deeply concerned about this position. Really the receiver South Carolina leaned on last season was Shi Smith and he is no longer with South Carolina but far as tight ends Nick Muse could do some positive things on the field. The only players that i can remember that made explosive plays last season between the wide receivers and tight ends was Joyner having a nice touchdown against Vanderbilt, Mullins had a big play against Louisiana State and Bell had a big explosive play against Mississippi. Not expecting a miracle, but i would like to see a drastic improvement in catching more passes than dropped. Good to see Otre Smith once again.

For some of these guys it may be their first shot at real coaching for the position. I expect to be pleasantly surprised by this group.
I really hope so. Do not need another season with one dimensional offense. I am not here to attack this position group, but even Coach BMW Beamer stated this week like the previous coaching staff said, someone has got to step up.

I'm sure he is a fine coach, but I am amazed at how much you guys think great coaching is somehow going to convert a cellar dweller into an SEC champion. The only way that is going to happen is if these coaches excel in ONE THING - RECRUITING. Better players will make us better. No coach is going to turn an average player into a super star. We have to have more talent and better players to win in this conference. Right now we just don't have that. Most all coaches at this level can coach technique and schemes. The difference is in having the players who can execute those techniques and schemes. They say the 3 things important factors in real estate are: 1)Location, 2)Location, 3) Location. The same is true in college coaching. The 3 important things in college coaching are 1) Recruiting. 2)Recruiting, 3) Recruiting.

We have better coaches therefore we will have better plays and players. Don’t let the downers bring you down to their pathetic level. Mushhead could not coach his coaches, could not coach his palyers, could not coach a game, and could not recruit. We are better at all of these now and it will show on the filed. if you dont believe, get the %^$# off this site.

I'm sure he is a fine coach, but I am amazed at how much you guys think great coaching is somehow going to convert a cellar dweller into an SEC champion. The only way that is going to happen is if these coaches excel in ONE THING - RECRUITING. Better players will make us better. No coach is going to turn an average player into a super star. We have to have more talent and better players to win in this conference. Right now we just don't have that. Most all coaches at this level can coach technique and schemes. The difference is in having the players who can execute those techniques and schemes. They say the 3 things important factors in real estate are: 1)Location, 2)Location, 3) Location. The same is true in college coaching. The 3 important things in college coaching are 1) Recruiting. 2)Recruiting, 3) Recruiting.

That's true to a certain extent. However, it's also true that decent players like Melvin Ingram and Devin Taylor don't turn into draft picks without the coaching of Brad Lawing. Those are just two very quick examples. There are many more...coaching does turn average players into super stars.

When this unit shows improvement the recruits will come. Good coaching will bring good results and I am glad Steppe is our WR coach. Definitely a step up.

Muschamp routinely brought in top 20-25 classes up until it became obvious he was going to fail again. There is talent on the team. It may be under coached and under utilized but it’s there.

Yeesh. I don’t think anyone said anything about an SEC championship. Just a few fans who are actually excited to see what difference a new (hopefully better) coach with a new approach can do in the way of improving our WRs.
Maybe he makes no difference. Maybe they regress. I for one believe we will see improvement. That’s what I’ll be pulling for come 9/4.

Love the video. Rico was getting some coaching! Well done Coach Stepp, Rico et al.

Everything works hand in hand in a situation like ours. It starts with the coaching, though. Beamer and Co. need to win some games and give recruits a reason to believe in their program. With hope comes (hopefully) some better players. Now, the coaches have to move from maybe a 6-7 win program to an 8-9 win program. Again, you bring in better players and try to become a double-digit team.

Damn!!!
Who wouldn't want to play for a coach like that !!!
My son played for his brother in high school and he was the same way.
Passion, energy, enthusiasm, and flat out LOVED his players.
Was gonna post that. The difference between him and Bmac is startling. Bmac couldn't coach or inspire a church league. You can tell Stepp cares about his players and their style of play but he's gotta weed out the goin' thru the motions players.

I liked that shot of him harassing that receiver. He may just may pull out an Ashlon Jeffery from this group. I read that they are some 4*s in that group. If so, it ain't ability that was holding them back it was coaching and instilling want to into them.

Shane is no Beergut or SS his last coupla yrs when it comes to hiring staff.

Muschamp routinely brought in top 20-25 classes up until it became obvious he was going to fail again. There is talent on the team. It may be under coached and under utilized but it’s there.
You're making the erroneous assumption that top 20-25 classes as stated by some clueless websites means we have better players. As we have seen over the years that is not the case. Regardless of what any rankings show, we have seen with our own eyes over the last few years that there isn't a great deal of talent on this team.

You're making the erroneous assumption that top 20-25 classes as stated by some clueless websites means we have better players. As we have seen over the years that is not the case. Regardless of what any rankings show, we have seen with our own eyes over the last few years that there isn't a great deal of talent on this team.
Have we or have we seen guys never develop and improve under a bunch of guys who made their names as recruiters and not coaches?

Time will tell but lack of development and functional game plans were the biggest problems under Muschamp. It’s the same thing that doomed him at Florida.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Have we or have we seen guys never develop and improve under a bunch of guys who made their names as recruiters and not coaches?

Time will tell but lack of development and functional game plans were the biggest problems under Muschamp. It’s the same thing that doomed him at Florida.
That's a ludicrous statement. Do you really think Muschamp was hired as a defensive coordinator at 2 major universities, named as a coach in waiting at Texas, and hired at UF as a head coach because he was a terrible coach? I think he was WIDELY regarded as an excellent defensive coach. He had problems as a head coach with putting staffs together and other non coaching functions that a head coach is required to do. But in actual coaching he was/is very capable. Contrast that to Dabo. I don't think anyone, even his own fans, regard him as an excellent coach in the fundamentals of the game, but he is very successful as a HC because he had a very capable staff that are very good coaches in fundamentals and technique, and most importantly, he and his staff have been phenomenal recruiters. Players make the difference. Great players can make any coach look good and mediocre players make a coach look mediocre.

Yeesh. I don’t think anyone said anything about an SEC championship. Just a few fans who are actually excited to see what difference a new (hopefully better) coach with a new approach can do in the way of improving our WRs.
Maybe he makes no difference. Maybe they regress. I for one believe we will see improvement. That’s what I’ll be pulling for come 9/4.
Oh Geez, Obviously I was exaggerating to make a point. But since you didn't get it I will dumb it down for you a little. The point is that coaching, while important, is far less a factor in a winning program than having great players. As an example of this, Nick Saban, who is widely considered the best coach in the country took over Alabama with the previous staff's players in 2007. His team went 7-6 in his first season (before vacated wins were deducted) including a loss to Louisiana-Monroe at Bryant-Deny Stadium. He was an excellent recruiter and then recruited the best players in the country. Now look at him!!!!

That's a ludicrous statement. Do you really think Muschamp was hired as a defensive coordinator at 2 major universities, named as a coach in waiting at Texas, and hired at UF as a head coach because he was a terrible coach? I think he was WIDELY regarded as an excellent defensive coach. He had problems as a head coach with putting staffs together and other non coaching functions that a head coach is required to do. But in actual coaching he was/is very capable. Contrast that to Dabo. I don't think anyone, even his own fans, regard him as an excellent coach in the fundamentals of the game, but he is very successful as a HC because he had a very capable staff that are very good coaches in fundamentals and technique, and most importantly, he and his staff have been phenomenal recruiters. Players make the difference. Great players can make any coach look good and mediocre players make a coach look mediocre.
Coaches are overrated all the time. In his two years at Auburn he took a top 10 defense and had them as a top 10 defense. He did have good defenses at Texas but again incredible talent. At Florida he was a dismal failure. Top 10 recruiting classes and losing records including a loss to a team that didn’t even complete a pass.

The only thing Muschamp ever said here that turned out to be true is that he could sell ice to an Eskimo. It just turns out the ice is the concept that he can coach and the Eskimos are ADs at numerous programs.

You are spot on, Diz. I especially like the talent on both the OL and DL. If we have a passing game to keep the defense honest, I really, really believe we will surprise people in Beamer's first year.

There are 3 games, this season, that will tell me whether or not we struck gold with Beamer: Kentucky, Tennessee and Missouri.

Phenomenal recruiting is much easier when there's deep pockets involved! The big time clemson boosters decided in the 70's after a large defeat to us to make a change. They did it with their wallets. The same thing happened this time around 2010/2011. Now it's pretty much a self running team with the schedule they have.

Reactions: 92Pony
Coaches are overrated all the time. In his two years at Auburn he took a top 10 defense and had them as a top 10 defense. He did have good defenses at Texas but again incredible talent. At Florida he was a dismal failure. Top 10 recruiting classes and losing records including a loss to a team that didn’t even complete a pass.

The only thing Muschamp ever said here that turned out to be true is that he could sell ice to an Eskimo. It just turns out the ice is the concept that he can coach and the Eskimos are ADs at numerous programs.
Not sure what your points are here. He was not overrated as a Defensive coach. Nick Saban - you know the best coach in the country - hired him as DC at LSU where his D led the nation in scoring Defense. Prior to that he coached at Auburn where he was 7th nationally in scoring D in his first year. The next year he lead the SEC in scoring D and top 10 in 4 defensive categories.

He was so good that Mack Brown (another legendary coach) hired him as DC at Texas and then made him coach in waiting. His Texas D lead the Big 12 in rushing D and scoring D and was 2nd nationally in sacks/game.

Because he was such a good and successful coach, Florida came calling in 2010 to hire him as a HC.

So if you want to say he was a lousy coach and that you're knowledge is greater than Nick Saban, Mack Brown, Tommy Tuyberville, and Jeremy Foley, then you're a freaking idiot.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Not sure what your points are here. He was not overrated as a Defensive coach. Nick Saban - you know the best coach in the country - hired him as DC at LSU where his D led the nation in scoring Defense. Prior to that he coached at Auburn where he was 7th nationally in scoring D in his first year. The next year he lead the SEC in scoring D and top 10 in 4 defensive categories.

He was so good that Mack Brown (another legendary coach) hired him as DC at Texas and then made him coach in waiting. His Texas D lead the Big 12 in rushing D and scoring D and was 2nd nationally in sacks/game.

Because he was such a good and successful coach, Florida came calling in 2010 to hire him as a HC.

So if you want to say he was a lousy coach and that you're knowledge is greater than Nick Saban, Mack Brown, Tommy Tuyberville, and Jeremy Foley, then you're a freaking idiot.
Yet somehow he managed to take our defense backwards when he was here. He must have forgotten everything he knew about defense.

None of those guys are infallible and he didn’t make a miracle mark at any of those spots either. Maintaining a level or picking up a spot or two isn’t that amazing. It’s also hard to really tell why a guy is moving around as much as he did as well. The longest he ever stuck around somewhere was the time he was here running the program into the ground.

Beergut is worst coach USC ever had and that includes some doozies as we all know-Richard Bell, Brad, Paul to just name three.

If looked at plainly, he had to be trying his best to lose because he sure wasn't trying his best to win. A certain AD should be tarred and feathered for hiring that meathead over Lincoln and then capitalizing on that huge mistake by giving him the access number to USC's ATM acct.

Guys, we've got to let it go, the past is behind us! This is a thread about the future, lets get behind THIS staff and expect the best in recruiting and coaching on the field!

Reactions: 92Pony
None of those guys are infallible and he didn’t make a miracle mark at any of those spots either. Maintaining a level or picking up a spot or two isn’t that amazing. It’s also hard to really tell why a guy is moving around as much as he did as well. The longest he ever stuck around somewhere was the time he was here running the program into the ground.
I'll take the collective opinions of Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville, and Mack Brown over some guy whose name is "Dizzy" on the internet any day. Not sure you even know what you mean by "maintaining". The guy took over a defense and the next year lead the nation in scoring D. Can you explain how he could have done better than leading the nation? That's pretty much as high as you can go. I'd love to hear your astute explanation of that. LMAO.

I'll take the collective opinions of Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville, and Mack Brown over some guy whose name is "Dizzy" on the internet any day. Not sure you even know what you mean by "maintaining". The guy took over a defense and the next year lead the nation in scoring D. Can you explain how he could have done better than leading the nation? That's pretty much as high as you can go. I'd love to hear your astute explanation of that. LMAO.
When Muschamp came here our defense regressed. It’s all about what can you do for me now, not what you did 10 years ago…

Reactions: Dizzy01
When Muschamp came here our defense regressed. It’s all about what can you do for me now, not what you did 10 years ago…
That has nothing to do with his coaching ability. He came here as a HC. HC and Assistant are 2 entirely different things. He failed as a HC because he could not put together a good cohesive staff. He also was not a good manager of people. But the main reason he failed here is he had little talent. He had great talent at Auburn, LSU, and Texas. That is when he excelled. No coach, not even Nick Saban, can make All Americans out of average players.

That has nothing to do with his coaching ability. He came here as a HC. HC and Assistant are 2 entirely different things. He failed as a HC because he could not put together a good cohesive staff. He also was not a good manager of people. But the main reason he failed here is he had little talent. He had great talent at Auburn, LSU, and Texas. That is when he excelled. No coach, not even Nick Saban, can make All Americans out of average players.
Yes, but defense is his forte. If anything it should have been decent if not very good. Most of his highest rated recruits were on defense. Yet we were not good. That falls on him

Reactions: cockn'fyr
Yes, but defense is his forte. If anything it should have been decent if not very good. Most of his highest rated recruits were on defense. Yet we were not good. That falls on him
It falls on him, I agree. But not from his coaching ability. It falls on him because he hired the DC and the assistants and he signed off on all the recruits that came in. That's the difference from being a HC and a DC. It is also true that the problems with the offense fall on him as well since he also hired those coaches and approved those recruits. He simply was not a successful HC. He was, however, a successful DC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT