ADVERTISEMENT

*** Forum upgrade coming tonight ***

W

Wes Mitchell

Just a heads up, Rivals will be updating our forum overnight tonight, so if you're a night owl or early riser, you may have to find something else to do in the middle of the night tonight.

This is just a version update to the same forum software and company, so luckily it will have the same general feel as the one now, but there will be some added features, more customization options for the user, and better ways for interaction on top of the functions the forum already has. The look and feel will stay the same for the most part.

Below is a list of new features to be on the lookout for with the update which should be live by the time you hit the site Thursday morning.

New Features
  • Native emoji support
    • Use real emojis in thread titles and post content from your favorite device
  • Light / Dark style themes
  • User-selectable font scaling (you select how big the front is for you personally)
  • Modernized profile popups / pages
    • Mouse-over (or tap on mobile) usernames to see new User Profile card
    • Click/tap on card name to go to new User Profile page
  • Unread alert & conversation icon/count in browser tabs
    • Number of unread alerts/conversation messages in title text
    • A red dot over the tab icon indicates at least one unread item
  • "What’s New" content menu
    • New forum navigation menu with additional ways to find new and unread threads and posts
  • Automatic url summary blocks
    • Pasting in a url (that isn't an embed) into a post will auto-create a box with title, thumbnail, and summary (if available from the destination)
  • "Quick Thread" new thread tool
    • A new box at the top of the thread list for quickly typing in a title and composing a new thread all at once without leaving the page
  • Last Post avatar shown on forum lists
    • See avatars in thread and forum lists for the most recent poster

Updated Features
  • Enhanced embedding from other sites
    • More (and better performing) embed types for sites like Twitter, Facebook, reddit, etc.
    • Drop the url in the text of the post and it will auto-embed if recognized
  • Optimized mobile experiences
    • Tap-optimized interactions
    • Layout and style tuned for smaller displays
  • Lots of additional streamlined functionality

giphy.gif

The upgrade looks good, but there seems to be a lot of unused space on the page. It seems like you could make the actual messaging part a lot wider. JMO.....

Reactions: Flameout12
The upgrade looks good, but there seems to be a lot of unused space on the page. It seems like you could make the actual messaging part a lot wider. JMO.....
Just out of curiosity - are you on a phone or computer and what browser are you using? Want to make sure it is rendering the page correctly for you.

Agree with BT. The right side of the page has a video (half ads, half headline pics or player videos) and then I guess a list of the most recent posts. Takes up a good third of the page. I'm on a PC using Chrome.

Not crazy about the appearance, honestly. The added functionality is always welcome, but the appearance feels like it's designed for a mobile device. On my tablet, the right half of the screen is occupied by latest posts and my profile snippet. I don't need to see that. Can we have an option to disable or minimize those?

Reactions: boykinlp
Upgrade leaves much to be desired IMO... as many have said, there is a lot of empty space on the page, and feel like the threads/messages could be larger. The whole left side is blank, while the right side is pinned videos/most recent post.

Just a heads up, Rivals will be updating our forum overnight tonight, so if you're a night owl or early riser, you may have to find something else to do in the middle of the night tonight.

This is just a version update to the same forum software and company, so luckily it will have the same general feel as the one now, but there will be some added features, more customization options for the user, and better ways for interaction on top of the functions the forum already has. The look and feel will stay the same for the most part.

Below is a list of new features to be on the lookout for with the update which should be live by the time you hit the site Thursday morning.

New Features
  • Native emoji support
    • Use real emojis in thread titles and post content from your favorite device
  • Light / Dark style themes
  • User-selectable font scaling (you select how big the front is for you personally)
  • Modernized profile popups / pages
    • Mouse-over (or tap on mobile) usernames to see new User Profile card
    • Click/tap on card name to go to new User Profile page
  • Unread alert & conversation icon/count in browser tabs
    • Number of unread alerts/conversation messages in title text
    • A red dot over the tab icon indicates at least one unread item
  • "What’s New" content menu
    • New forum navigation menu with additional ways to find new and unread threads and posts
  • Automatic url summary blocks
    • Pasting in a url (that isn't an embed) into a post will auto-create a box with title, thumbnail, and summary (if available from the destination)
  • "Quick Thread" new thread tool
    • A new box at the top of the thread list for quickly typing in a title and composing a new thread all at once without leaving the page
  • Last Post avatar shown on forum lists
    • See avatars in thread and forum lists for the most recent poster

Updated Features
  • Enhanced embedding from other sites
    • More (and better performing) embed types for sites like Twitter, Facebook, reddit, etc.
    • Drop the url in the text of the post and it will auto-embed if recognized
  • Optimized mobile experiences
    • Tap-optimized interactions
    • Layout and style tuned for smaller displays
  • Lots of additional streamlined functionality

You expect us to read all of this???

Do you have cliff notes????

There is no button to go back to threads list. How do you get back to list of all (including pinned threads) that show updated threads and ones that have not been updated since you read the thread.
Using a mobile device, the "Fighting Gamecocks Forum" on the permanent panel at the top will take you back to the threads page. But that same permanent panel does not appear on my desktop. You have to scroll to the top or bottom of a thread to find the link to the threads page.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity - are you on a phone or computer and what browser are you using? Want to make sure it is rendering the page correctly for you.

I am on a desktop computer, running Firefox. The box on the right showing my username and "Latest posts" is pretty big. There are 4" to the right of it with nothing but blank space, and 4" to the left of the messages with nothing but blank space. That could be somewhat due to my adblocker (?)

I am on a desktop computer, running Firefox. The box on the right showing my username and "Latest posts" is pretty big. There are 4" to the right of it with nothing but blank space, and 4" to the left of the messages with nothing but blank space. That could be somewhat due to my adblocker (?)
I think that's a glitch. I am not seeing that much blank space on mine. I'm having them check into it.

Upgrade leaves much to be desired IMO... as many have said, there is a lot of empty space on the page, and feel like the threads/messages could be larger. The whole left side is blank, while the right side is pinned videos/most recent post.

That's not a built-in feature, and it's something that we've sent in to request further information/a fix. Thanks for passing along.

Reactions: Cocky4SC
What is this nonsense? Horrible. It's like Ray Tanner was put in charge of web design.

Would you be able to give us some specifics on what you dislike, or any bugs you may be seeing? That helps us tremendously in passing it along to the appropriate people and possibly making some tweaks or fixing anything that's wrong.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Really don’t like it

Would you be able to give us some specifics on what you dislike, or any bugs you may be seeing? That helps us tremendously in passing it along to the appropriate people and possibly making some tweaks or fixing anything that's wrong.

We understand that some folks are not going to like, or there will be different opinions, or that it takes some getting used to when there's a change. Feedback helps us tremendously!

A step backwards.

Would you be able to give us some specifics on what you dislike, or any bugs you may be seeing? That helps us tremendously in passing it along to the appropriate people and possibly making some tweaks or fixing anything that's wrong. Definitely recognize that there will be mixed feelings on any type of change.

There is no button to go back to threads list. How do you get back to list of all (including pinned threads) that show updated threads and ones that have not been updated since you read the thread.

Are you on mobile or desktop/laptop?

On desktop/laptop - at either the top or the bottom of the page, just click the "Fighting Gamecocks Forum" link to go back to the main forums thread page.

On mobile - At the top of the original post within a thread, there's a backwards arrow and then text that says "Fighting Gamecocks Forum" - click that.

Does that answer it?

For the record this is what my screen looks like on my tablet, and what I mean by half the screen is occupied by mostly useless fluff.

Reactions: vacock#
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT