ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Martin , and players getting into trouble and leaving early

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
I dont think this team is very good and will finish around 500. But this team maybe something that has been brewing for a couple of years.
Players in trouble or kicked off team.
1. BB gun = Jamall Gregory and Eric Cobb
2. Felder.
Players leaving early
1. Dozier all we heard was he was going in the 1st round. And he wasn't even drafted and is now playing in something called the "G-league. He could come back and been the man this year.
If we had these guys this team would be a lot more experienced. And a lot better.

I dont think this team is very good and will finish around 500. But this team maybe something that has been brewing for a couple of years.
2. Felder.
Players leaving early
1. Dozier all we heard was he was going in the 1st round. And he wasn't even drafted and is now playing in something called the "G-league. He could come back and been the man this year.
If we had these guys this team would be a lot more experienced. And a lot better.
The players getting in trouble for the BB gun didn't have that big of an impact. We made our Final 4 run without them. I'm hoping we get Felder back. The Dozier scenario was unfortunate. He had the wrong people telling him he was a first rounder and he went after his dream. Had he come back we'd be a much different team right now. He would be the leader and although not as good as last season I think we could have made the tournament again. As it stands now, we can only hope for the NIT. Its a young team that will hopefully get better.

I find it amusing how so many fans give up on a team with 8-3 record right now. Let the damn season get a little deeper before you to say we can only hope for the NIT. It is so easy to say we will not win as opposed to saying we can win. The choice is only 2 in this scenario.
Stop giving up so easily. Do you give up in the challenges of your everyday life this easy?

2. Felder.
Players leaving early
You weren't listening well on Dozier. I said all along he struggled to shoot, dribble and pass. Other than those three aspects, he was a great point guard.

Reactions: USCLaw85
Dozier is not the g league he is playing for OKC, well sitting on the bench but on an NBA roster.

Cobb is playing about 10 minutes a game and averaging 2 pts and 1reb.

Gregory is still a Gamecock, only at Jacksonville St. starting and averaging almost 10 pts a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brace1 and DC-99
For all those saying that fans have given up on the team, what have you seen out of them that leads you to believe they can even achieve a .500 record in conference? Serious question, not flaming.

Reactions: Brace1 and midline
You weren't listening well on Dozier. I said all along he struggled to shoot, dribble and pass. Other than those three aspects, he was a great point guard.
Dozier was a really good player. I am really happy he chose to attend USC. However, I cannot envision him as team leader this year. Maybe his senior year, but he has lots of developing to do.

The players getting in trouble for the BB gun didn't have that big of an impact. We made our Final 4 run without them. I'm hoping we get Felder back. The Dozier scenario was unfortunate. He had the wrong people telling him he was a first rounder and he went after his dream. Had he come back we'd be a much different team right now. He would be the leader and although not as good as last season I think we could have made the tournament again. As it stands now, we can only hope for the NIT. Its a young team that will hopefully get better.
Gregory was gonna be a great player for us, that kid is nasty. I hope we get Felder back also, he is a difference maker!

Jeff....leaving early when u shouldn't is a common tale these days. The bb gun thing and Felder are not Martin's fault. The fact he kicks people off the team shows he is not going to put up with junk. I thought Gregory had potential. Felder also. Neither one are game changers. I put them on the long illustrious list of SC players in many sports of "unrealized potential." I actually think we may be average this year.....but really good next year. We will be ok this year.

Dozier was a really good player. I am really happy he chose to attend USC. However, I cannot envision him as team leader this year. Maybe his senior year, but he has lots of developing to do.
While Thornwell was suspended Dozier was playing very well as the #1 option. I think he would have been even better this season and could have played into that high draft pic that most were predicting early on.

Jeff....leaving early when u shouldn't is a common tale these days. The bb gun thing and Felder are not Martin's fault. The fact he kicks people off the team shows he is not going to put up with junk. I thought Gregory had potential. Felder also. Neither one are game changers. I put them on the long illustrious list of SC players in many sports of "unrealized potential." I actually think we may be average this year.....but really good next year. We will be ok this year.
Felder could’ve been a game changer, he had the tools to take over games, and with more experience; he definitely would’ve done that! Gregory had the kind of tenacity that other players feed off-of, he would’ve been great, going forward in Frank’s system. That doesn’t matter at all now, but I do believe those guys would have Kept Frank of top!

Last edited:
2. Felder.
Players leaving early
Not sure those players make a difference today. We could very easily lose a player or two for multiple reasons anyway.

I sure hope the 5 players he brought in this year turn out to be better than their star ratings.

He needs to land a big time player or two this year.

This team lost FIVE guards from last season.. two that should have come back... and Holden was our highly touted transfer who was supposed to plug that hole but he has been injured all season!

If we get FELDER back and get Holden healthy... this team could be a LOT better the second half of the season... If neither of those things happen then it will be a very hard year.

Reactions: funktavious
Most definitely. And I do believe FM is a terrific coach for USC.

This year is a little disappointing thus far b/c Frank felt going in that it was his best shooting team to date. Just haven't seen any real sign of that, however, many of games to play. If they go .500 in the league play would be impressive this season.

Reactions: funktavious
2. Felder.
Players leaving early
I understand your frustration but these type things happen to a lot of programs. We are not unique when it comes to players kicked off teams or leaving too early.

2. Felder.
Players leaving early

Dozier issue is what I call an epidemic in the sports world. Someone is in these kids ears telling him to do something that is not in the kids best interest but the person pushing him to do it. Recruiting works close to this. Usually it is an uncle or someone in the family who has a good relationship with the kid pushing him to do what they financially gain from.

2. Felder.
Players leaving early
Post by taterjeff is the reason I joined the Insider Forum. What a clown and it hasn't changed. His inbred tater love is so boring.

Reactions: jeff2001
Nobody is very good anymore so we should win a lot of games from here to March. With Thornwell as the engine driving last year's team, everybody looked pretty good, but now he is gone .........

Last years team was unique in that it had very experienced Sr. play and leadership. Sin always had talent but evolved into a special player. Notice also was a 4 year guy that was tenacious out front on defense. Justin played his role well and new the system. Add Silva and Kotsar along with a very long and athletic Dozier and you had a special team.

The problem now is two fold. 1st way to many new guys are being counted on out of necessity. And they are just learning (Franks Way) which takes time. Plus they need to develop mentally and physically. The 2nd thing is that we are weak at the point on offense and defense. Against Clemson we didn't shoot a FT the whole second half. Not one! And that's with Silva and Kotsar down low.

Regardless of how this year turns out. Many of these new players will get much better. Just as Sin and Notice's class did by fighting through it.

Reactions: AngloCock
We are not a program that just reloads with talent year by year but that is ok. I expected this to be a rebuilding season. We are counting on a lot of young players. We'll take our bumps this year, hopefully to come back next season strong.

Reactions: 2008Gamecock2008
2. Felder.
Players leaving early
Every year I have to learn the names of new players because of turnover. It's strange.

I understand your frustration but these type things happen to a lot of programs. We are not unique when it comes to players kicked off teams or leaving too early.
We ARE unique among top programs with the premature loss of players. UNC and Duke don't bring in 8 new players in a single season and expect to continue to be competitive. Martin has done a BELOW average job of retaining players. His only success came last year with three 4-year players. That was a huge achievement for Martin. It showed he can coach B-grade players to do great things. But until he can duplicate that we will be a struggling basketball program.

We ARE unique among top programs with the premature loss of players. UNC and Duke don't bring in 8 new players in a single season and expect to continue to be competitive. Martin has done a BELOW average job of retaining players. His only success came last year with three 4-year players. That was a huge achievement for Martin. It showed he can coach B-grade players to do great things. But until he can duplicate that we will be a struggling basketball program.
We are not UNC or Duke but even they lose their share of players. Martin doesn't run players off. These guys that leave come in thinking they can play for a hardnosed disciplined coach and find out they can't take it. The one's that stay are usually pretty good by year 3 or 4 and you have seen the result of that the past two years with the most wins ever in USC basketball history. So try to knock him down if you want to but I'm very pleased he's our head coach.

Reactions: AngloCock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT