ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

This one is over. We need to save pitchers for tomorrow. At least we will not be using Bridges in this game.

Yeah....let's let Neville sit for a while, and work on his approach to pitches in the indoor hitting cage.....

Down 4 runs we need guys to get on base. Everybody is swinging for the fences and striking out.

Our hitting really has been good - not great, but it's been enough for most games, for most teams. Our pitching has just been a sieve.....we can't make any ground on them because they keep scoring......

Our hitting really has been good - not great, but it's been enough for most games, for most teams. Our pitching has just been a sieve.....we can't make any ground on them because they keep scoring......
I would say our hitting has been decent against lesser teams. Against good teams like this? Well...

Agree that our pitching has been pretty bad. Morgan and Kelly seems to be the lone bright spots lately.

I would say our hitting has been decent against lesser teams. Against good teams like this? Well...

Agree that our pitching has been pretty bad. Morgan and Kelly seems to be the lone bright spots lately.

I was talking about the game today, not generally speaking. But as I looked closer, we are hitting 4-19 (.211) with runners on, compared to Clemson hitting 7-17 (.412), and we are hitting 3-14 (.214) with runners in scoring position, compared to them hitting 5-9 (.556!!!). They were 4-8 (.500), but just homered again. We have had 14 ABs with RISP, compared to them having just 9 ABs.

We are also 3-9 (.333) with 2 outs, compared to Clemson hitting 7-14 (.500).

So our hitters have NOT produced in scoring situations, while Clemson has romped. I think a lot of their strong hitting has to do with our own pitchers pissing their pants in such situations, either giving up walks or falling behind in the count, then having to groove pitches down the gut for strikes, that get raped by Clemson bats...

But they just hit another 2-RBI HR, so this game is done....

Reactions: Legendary Cock
I was talking about the game today, not generally speaking. But as I looked closer, we are hitting 4-19 (.211) with runners on, compared to Clemson hitting 7-17 (.412), and we are hitting 3-14 (.214) with runners in scoring position, compared to them hitting 5-9 (.556!!!). They were 4-8 (.500), but just homered again. We have had 14 ABs with RISP, compared to them having just 9 ABs.

We are also 3-9 (.333) with 2 outs, compared to Clemson hitting 7-14 (.500).

So our hitters have NOT produced in scoring situations, while Clemson has romped. I think a lot of their strong hitting has to do with our own pitchers pissing their pants in such situations, either giving up walks or falling behind in the count, then having to groove pitches down the gut for strikes, that get raped by Clemson bats...

But they just hit another 2-RBI HR, so this game is done....
I touched on that a little earlier this week. I truly believe how we do with risp defines what kind of team we have. Sadly I'm not surprised at all at the stats you are quoting. I fear it's a result of strategy and/or philosophy... one of ups, downs and inconsistency. Hope I'm wrong.

Seems to me it would help to get better pitching out of the gate. Let me ask y'all a serious question: how good is UPC really?

Seems to me it would help to get better pitching out of the gate. Let me ask y'all a serious question: how good is UPC really?
my opinion is we are both about the same. Both teams will show improvement as the season progresses. As always, clutch hits and cutting out errors and walks will be critical.

my opinion is we are both about the same. Both teams will show improvement as the season progresses. As always, clutch hits and cutting out errors and walks will be critical.
Unfortunately, the taters are a much better hitting team than we are right now. Probably pitching too. We both may improve throughout the season, but it sure would be nice if we could put it together at home tomorrow and finally beat them for the first time in what seems like forever in a major men's sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT