ADVERTISEMENT

Gamecock baseball.

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
IncompleteKeyChameleon-small.gif

Let me explain something. The game today should have had a slight rain delay for the safety of both teams. Pitching in a monsoon is nearly impossible and gives the advantage to the hitting team. Why? Because with a wet baseball the pitches can't be worked and the pitcher has to just concentrate on just throwing strikes and hitters know it so they just wait for something to hit. It's a @&&@ way to lose a close game because the plate ump pushed the envelope. If you don't believe this you never pitched or hit a baseball and I've done it at both ends. Just because it's the bottom of the 9th in a one run game makes no difference. Baseball is the only game that when you have the ball you're playing defense and everything changes in a down pour. @**(**%**# it !:mad:

Let me explain something. The game today should have had a slight rain delay for the safety of both teams. Pitching in a monsoon is nearly impossible and gives the advantage to the hitting team. Why? Because with a wet baseball the pitches can't be worked and the pitcher has to just concentrate on just throwing strikes and hitters know it so they just wait for something to hit. It's a @&&@ way to lose a close game because the plate ump pushed the envelope. If you don't believe this you never pitched or hit a baseball and I've done it at both ends. Just because it's the bottom of the 9th in a one run game makes no difference. Baseball is the only game that when you have the ball you're playing defense and everything changes in a down pour. @**(**%**# it !:mad:

Seems like the Gamecocks have been pitching in a monsoon all season

USCALUMNI

Was there a monsoon in the top of the 6th, 7th, 8th, or 9th innings when we had no hits and they scored 4 runs?

The rain really wasn’t anything close to a monsoon or downpour. Anyone who has played baseball has played through much much worse conditions.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I swear are we the only fans who after a loss come post about how we suck ? What happened to the time when support for the team took precedence? Our coach won't last long....we're not very good...the AD sucks. We get more responses when we lose. I just don't remember when the definition of supporter changed to critic. No Gamecock welcomes losing but dang y'all it comes with the territory sometimes so learn to deal with it and stop taking it like it is singling you out for torment...lol . JMO

Put drying agent out of a bucket - wow what a downpour! You’re free to make all the excuses you want - don’t let the facts get in the way. Just didn’t execute on the mound.
Are you actually serious or should I just ignore you? Listen, drying agents dry out wet areas can we agree on that? There's no need for them on dry dirt only wet or muddy dirt. It's a matter if having a spot for the lead leg to land so to protect the pitcher from breaking a leg or hitting a batter. A wet baseball is uncontrollable even with a little water on it and if it's wet enough it's heavier too. Again, did you watch the last inning or just want to argue?

Reactions: rogue cock
Good lord you’re delusional. If there was any significant rain it wouldn’t be cured with less than a bag of drying agent. That monsoon also hit the batter’s box and the areas around the bases didn’t it? Didn’t notice any problems there. It wasn’t a monsoon it’s silly to try to spin it that way.

Are you actually serious or should I just ignore you? Listen, drying agents dry out wet areas can we agree on that? There's no need for them on dry dirt only wet or muddy dirt. It's a matter if having a spot for the lead leg to land so to protect the pitcher from breaking a leg or hitting a batter. A wet baseball is uncontrollable even with a little water on it and if it's wet enough it's heavier too. Again, did you watch the last inning or just want to argue?
The old major leaguers could fire up a spit ball in a minute and make it dive. See Gaylord Perry. Don Sutton.

Right , but a spit ball didn't cover the entire ball with spit...lol
You're wasting you breath with this crowd. Like the guy who wants to analogize a batter, who is anchored in place, with a pitcher, who is making a dynamic athletic move. The batter just has to have a decent grip on the bat. The pitcher has to throw a wet, soggy, slippery ball over the plate.

That game should have been stopped. I could just see that disaster coming.

You're wasting you breath with this crowd. Like the guy who wants to analogize a batter, who is anchored in place, with a pitcher, who is making a dynamic athletic move. The batter just has to have a decent grip on the bat. The pitcher has to throw a wet, soggy, slippery ball over the plate.

That game should have been stopped. I could just see that disaster coming.

Life as a gamecock. I can see a disaster coming this football season too. Then basketball

Life as a gamecock. I can see a disaster coming this football season too. Then basketball

I always want the Gamecocks to win at everything. I just don't have a good feel for any of the men's sports. Lady Gamecock basketball now that is a different story.

USCALUMNI

Wait...you mean there's actually people on here that think we make a regional? How in the world is that even possible short of sweeping our remaining SEC games? Seriously we would have to sweep at least 3 of them and then take 2 of 3 and win almost every midweek game. This season cant be compared to any other because we've never in our history been in this position.

Reactions: cockofdawn
The rain really wasn’t anything close to a monsoon or downpour. Anyone who has played baseball has played through much much worse conditions.
I was there. It was a downpour for a few minutes. The game should have been stopped for about 15-20 minutes to let the rain pass and repair the mound. No excuse why we lost. We should have scored more runs earlier in the game when we had chances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT